Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 374505 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1240 on: April 24, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »
Does it matter to anyone that your religion is being portrayed to outsiders as a reckless religion on this subject? Does it matter to anyone when Judaism is compared to other religions on this subject it gets a failing grade? If it doesn't matter then just keep doing what you have been doing.

To most, it does. To others, they just want to point fingers and say, "But Mo-o-om, they're doing it, too! And they're being even worser than us!" We don't accept it from our kids, we most definitely shouldn't accept it from our supposed adults.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:26:57 AM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1241 on: April 24, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
The problem is not really Lakewood (despite the breathless news reports). It's BP and Willi where it's really bad.

Lakewood is not currently the problem, nor have they been for a little bit. But, they were late to the party, especially by the standards of certain members here, and it indisputably cost lives. They deserve credit for turning it around in a truly remarkable way, but they also have blood on their hands for the slow initial response.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 24, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
The problem is not really Lakewood (despite the breathless news reports). It's BP and Willi where it's really bad.
IMO its not that much worse there then monsey, kj or other places. They're just in the public eye,  located in NYC, and are 5 seconds from non Jewish neighborhoods, multiple police precincts, and medial outlets. So by default everything they do will be far more scrutinized then other places. Obviously that does come with a bigger responsibility on their part which they have done very poorly in.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1243 on: April 24, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
I always wondered why Jews were blamed for the black death.
Always assumed regular anti-semitism, but it makes a little more sense now :(

There's still plenty of anti-semitism, but we need to do better.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 24, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »

I think there's a difference between blaming our leaders for deaths in our own communities and blaming "the Jews" for an entire plague. But yes, we can and should do better.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1245 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »

Et tu?

I just can't anymore.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »

There was no medical knowledge of disease transmission then. Outsiders, including Jews, were always blamed for poisoning the waters or cursing them. it was anti-Semitism and nothing more. Actually, Jews were perceived as suffering less from the the plague; due to certain halachos that kept Jewish quarters free of waste and dead bodies. It was a perception that may or may not be true, but the facts are that Jews did bathe, wash hands and bury the dead differently than the rest of Europe at the time. Please rethink your comment.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1247 on: April 24, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
I just can't anymore.
Sure you can.   ;)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 24, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
Same argument over and over. No one on these forums is gonna change anyone’s mind. Unfortunately only one way that some people’s mind will change, and I don’t wish it on anyone. Long story short, best one can hope for is listen to your Rav.
A member of Bikur Cholim went to a guy that had his mikvah open and asked for a bracha. The guy looks at him like he's nuts! Why you asking me for a bracha? He says you must be a navi, I want a bracha. What? Yup, you know that no one will get sick and die from using your mikva so I want a bracha. The guy closed his mikva.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1249 on: April 24, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
Et tu?

I just can't anymore.
If things are as @hvaces42 describes, can you really blame people that see that for being angry?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 24, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »
If things are as @hvaces42 describes, can you really blame people that see that for being angry?
There's a difference between being angry and blaming them for the disease. The whole city has social distancing problems, but the focus is on the Jews. That's anti-Semitism.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:21:18 AM by flyingace »

Offline neveryou

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 24, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »
Does it matter to anyone that your religion is being portrayed to outsiders as a reckless religion on this subject? Does it matter to anyone when Judaism is compared to other religions on this subject it gets a failing grade? If it doesn't matter then just keep doing what you have been doing.
In general since when do we change yiddishkait because of the goyim or how it is portrayed to the goyim?

How do you explain to the goyim that we have to kill every male female and child of amalek? Do you weasel your way out saying that it doesnt really apply anymore?

There's a story of a shliach of the rebbe who was asked on the radio how come people get the death penalty on yiddishkait for certain aveiros, he weaseled his way out by saying in short that on order for a b"d to kill someone you needed 2 witnesses and hasrah and so on, and that any b"d that killed once in 70 years is called a murderes one
At a farbrengen a few weeks after this, the lubavitcher rebbe spoke about it and said that that answer is doesnt answer the question just pushes the question off and the rebbe went on to explain and give an answer and gave a mashal of an astronaut in the middle of his mission in space decided to smoke in the ship, (there's alot more to the answer, you can go look it up)

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 24, 2020, 10:19:07 AM »
@neveryou

Ever heard of Aiva? Anyways in this case making Minyanim has zero to do with Yiddishekeit.

Offline neveryou

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 24, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »

Are those same jew haters that are reporting on the jews calling corona the wuhan virus or the Chinese virus?

We didn't start this virus, the chinese did, they should be getting the hate, not jews

Most of the liberal media won't call it the chinese/wuhan virus bc that's racist but that same media will blame the Jews whenever they could during these times

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1256 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
Oy. I don't have time to break this down the way it should be, but 1) bringing up the black plague and trying to connect to Corona? I expect better from you.

2) he is one person in one neighborhood. The overwhelming majority of Orthodox communities - in the tri state area and across the country - were and are ahead of government regulations.

3) the average person isn't seeing what @hvaces42 is.

4) people are breaking the rules in larger numbers and in more flagrant ways than Orthodox Jews, but for many reasons only we are known about. We get a failing grade, but all the churches that remained open are fine? It's not about "but officer, he was speeding. It's not an excuse. We should see *why* the officer keeps pulling me over and consistently ignores everyone else.

Most egregious is saying that it's Jews' fault. "we need to be better" if one thing. But "maybe blaming Jews for the plague isn't just anti semitism" is quite another. When the virus attacked queens, no one blamed the locals. Same for the Bronx or any other place in NYC. Not because they were practicing social distancing better than us, they weren't. Try figure out why.

I have no issue with pointing out people who are breaking the rules. They should be shamed, fined, whatever it takes. But for that to turn in to sweeping generalizations? No.

(why does it feel like I've written the same piece 1800 times on this forum?)

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
Are those same jew haters that are reporting on the jews calling corona the wuhan virus or the Chinese virus?

We didn't start this virus, the chinese did, they should be getting the hate, not jews

Most of the liberal media won't call it the chinese/wuhan virus bc that's racist but that same media will blame the Jews whenever they could during these times
So this is a liberal/conservative issue, I thought you were saying it's a religious issue?

Seems like a lot of the blindfolded people are the ones who listen to some irresponsible pundits who to them everything is stinking politics.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:25:32 AM by yelped »

Online hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 24, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
In general since when do we change yiddishkait because of the goyim or how it is portrayed to the goyim?

Having been a Hatzolah member who was Mechalel Shabbos for goyim because of Aiva I think maybe I have a little to contribute to that conversation. Again...we are mechalel SHABBOS, YOM KIPPUR etc for goyim because of Aiva...we can surely stop your minyan for it. You are absolutely clueless!

I will hopefully have video evidence sometime next week.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1259 on: April 24, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »

*dramatic music*

"What if I told you..."