Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 377200 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1260 on: April 24, 2020, 10:23:32 AM »
I will hopefully have video evidence sometime next week.

I hope you don't.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1261 on: April 24, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »
If things are as @hvaces42 describes, can you really blame people that see that for being angry?
BTW, I don't doubt anything he is saying, and it's horrifying.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 24, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
You are obviously not in BP or Williamsburg @Yehuda57 There is a poloce car stationed outside Satmar on 52nd Street counting how many people are going in and out. I'm jealous of those areas where Jews are keeping the rules. Im saddened that my neighbors and most of Boro Park cannot in one way or another do the right thing. I invite you to come here any day at 9am and 7pm. I wish I was making it up.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 24, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
Having been a Hatzolah member who was Mechalel Shabbos for goyim because of Aiva I think maybe I have a little to contribute to that conversation. Again...we are mechalel SHABBOS, YOM KIPPUR etc for goyim because of Aiva...we can surely stop your minyan for it. You are absolutely clueless!
I get your anger and totally agree with you, but I don't think the video/expose route will accomplish anything except more aiva.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 24, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
I hope you don't.
I didnt say I would post it. But its going to happen
 Thank you Hashem for gishmei bracha that keeps minyanism at bay today. Because the sefer torah is kept inside and they are not mevazeh it by reading it on the street.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 24, 2020, 10:27:37 AM »
Having been a Hatzolah member who was Mechalel Shabbos for goyim because of Aiva I think maybe I have a little to contribute to that conversation. Again...we are mechalel SHABBOS, YOM KIPPUR etc for goyim because of Aiva...we can surely stop your minyan for it. You are absolutely clueless!
According to the strict letter of Halacha saving a non-Jews life on Shabbos by doing a Melacha (forbidden acts) is not permitted; To quote the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 92:1 "Shabbos is pushed aside for Sakonas Nefoshos (life & death situations).. therefore it is a Mitzvah to desecrate Shaboss for a Kosher person (even if he sometimes does sins) who is in mortal danger" (See also the uncensored Shulchan Aruch Yore Dei'ah 158:1).
One of the answers above misrepresented R. M. Feinstein's words by saying "To quote R' Moshe Feinsten, "A refusal to treat a non-Jew on the Sabbath would be totally unacceptable...", the impression is that is is Halachikly unacceptable when in reality he's saying that it is socially unacceptable. In the Teshuvah itself RMF says to try to avoid the situation and he's only talking about a doctor who by law has the obligation to heal the sick or otherwise face repercussions. In the end he concludes with the words "one can rule that it (inaction by a doctor) is like a Sakanah (danger) and therefore one may permit it".
For a short synopsis of some of the sources mentioned in the aforementioned answer, see Shearim Metzuyanim Bahalacha 92:1, 1) He brings an argument between the Pri Megadim who says we do not desecrate Shabbos for one who doesn't keep Shabbos Litai'ovon (for convenience reasons) and the Maharam Shik who is not sure about it. 2) He quotes the Pri Megadim who says that we do not desecrate Shabbos for a non-Jew and for one who doesn't keep Shabbos Lihach'is ('to anger G-d'). 3) He quotes the Chassam Sofer who says it is probably Halachakly permissible nowadays to ride in a wagon driven by a non-Jew to heal a non-Jew since inaction will cause the non-Jews to hate us for it and it may lead to danger for Jews. 4) He quotes the Divrei Chaim who says that a doctor is only allowed to desecrate Shabbos by doing actions prohibited by the sages but not by doing actions forbidden by Torah law. 5) He quotes the Yad Sholom who says that if by government law the doctor must desecrate Shabbos even by doing actions forbidden by Torah law, it may be permitted.

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 24, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »
3) the average person isn't seeing what @hvaces42 is.
As someone who has to go around (Brooklyn) for work, it's worse than what @hvaces42 describes, at least in Williamsburg. Streets are full with children, ppl walking to Minyonim, toys stores trying to open etc. I don't blame them, most families have tiny apartments and it's very hard to maintain them at home.
Maybe the average person doesn't go out much but I see it first hand.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1267 on: April 24, 2020, 10:33:05 AM »
Oy. I don't have time to break this down the way it should be, but 1) bringing up the black plague and trying to connect to Corona? I expect better from you.

2) he is one person in one neighborhood. The overwhelming majority of Orthodox communities - in the tri state area and across the country - were and are ahead of government regulations.

4) people are breaking the rules in larger numbers and in more flagrant ways than Orthodox Jews, but for many reasons only we are known about. We get a failing grade, but all the churches that remained open are fine? It's not about "but officer, he was speeding. It's not an excuse. We should see *why* the officer keeps pulling me over and consistently ignores everyone else.

Most egregious is saying that it's Jews' fault. "we need to be better" if one thing. But "maybe blaming Jews for the plague isn't just anti semitism" is quite another. When the virus attacked queens, no one blamed the locals. Same for the Bronx or any other place in NYC. Not because they were practicing social distancing better than us, they weren't. Try figure out why.

I have no issue with pointing out people who are breaking the rules. They should be shamed, fined, whatever it takes. But for that to turn in to sweeping generalizations? No.

(why does it feel like I've written the same piece 1800 times on this forum?)
Fair enough.

Why is it than NY seems to have a harder time following the rules anyway? Is it the smaller living space? General attitude that it's not my problem?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 24, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
According to the strict letter of Halacha saving a non-Jews life on Shabbos by doing a Melacha (forbidden acts) is not permitted; To quote the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 92:1 "Shabbos is pushed aside for Sakonas Nefoshos (life & death situations).. therefore it is a Mitzvah to desecrate Shaboss for a Kosher person (even if he sometimes does sins) who is in mortal danger" (See also the uncensored Shulchan Aruch Yore Dei'ah 158:1).
One of the answers above misrepresented R. M. Feinstein's words by saying "To quote R' Moshe Feinsten, "A refusal to treat a non-Jew on the Sabbath would be totally unacceptable...", the impression is that is is Halachikly unacceptable when in reality he's saying that it is socially unacceptable. In the Teshuvah itself RMF says to try to avoid the situation and he's only talking about a doctor who by law has the obligation to heal the sick or otherwise face repercussions. In the end he concludes with the words "one can rule that it (inaction by a doctor) is like a Sakanah (danger) and therefore one may permit it".
For a short synopsis of some of the sources mentioned in the aforementioned answer, see Shearim Metzuyanim Bahalacha 92:1, 1) He brings an argument between the Pri Megadim who says we do not desecrate Shabbos for one who doesn't keep Shabbos Litai'ovon (for convenience reasons) and the Maharam Shik who is not sure about it. 2) He quotes the Pri Megadim who says that we do not desecrate Shabbos for a non-Jew and for one who doesn't keep Shabbos Lihach'is ('to anger G-d'). 3) He quotes the Chassam Sofer who says it is probably Halachakly permissible nowadays to ride in a wagon driven by a non-Jew to heal a non-Jew since inaction will cause the non-Jews to hate us for it and it may lead to danger for Jews. 4) He quotes the Divrei Chaim who says that a doctor is only allowed to desecrate Shabbos by doing actions prohibited by the sages but not by doing actions forbidden by Torah law. 5) He quotes the Yad Sholom who says that if by government law the doctor must desecrate Shabbos even by doing actions forbidden by Torah law, it may be permitted.
ROTFLMAO
You know better than every posek who issued a psak in the last 50 years for Hatzolah

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 24, 2020, 10:35:12 AM »
Oy. I don't have time to break this down the way it should be, but 1) bringing up the black plague and trying to connect to Corona? I expect better from you.

2) he is one person in one neighborhood. The overwhelming majority of Orthodox communities - in the tri state area and across the country - were and are ahead of government regulations.

4) people are breaking the rules in larger numbers and in more flagrant ways than Orthodox Jews, but for many reasons only we are known about. We get a failing grade, but all the churches that remained open are fine? It's not about "but officer, he was speeding. It's not an excuse. We should see *why* the officer keeps pulling me over and consistently ignores everyone else.

Most egregious is saying that it's Jews' fault. "we need to be better" if one thing. But "maybe blaming Jews for the plague isn't just anti semitism" is quite another. When the virus attacked queens, no one blamed the locals. Same for the Bronx or any other place in NYC. Not because they were practicing social distancing better than us, they weren't. Try figure out why.

I have no issue with pointing out people who are breaking the rules. They should be shamed, fined, whatever it takes. But for that to turn in to sweeping generalizations? No.

(why does it feel like I've written the same piece 1800 times on this forum?)
Agree 100%

Just that many people on these forums like blaming jews more than the goyim

It's like the self hating jews, they're worst

Or like in israel when the chareidi are held to a different standard than the chilonim

Offline flyingace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 24, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
As someone who has to go around (Brooklyn) for work, it's worse than what @hvaces42 describes, at least in Williamsburg. Streets are full with children, ppl walking to Minyonim, toys stores trying to open etc. I don't blame them, most families have tiny apartments and it's very hard to maintain them at home.
Maybe the average person doesn't go out much but I see it first hand.
It is not illegal to go for a walk with your kids, or for your kids to play outside. City streets with hundreds of kids on them are not conducive to social distancing.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1271 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:41 AM »
Fair enough.

Why is it than NY seems to have a harder time following the rules anyway? Is it the smaller living space? General attitude that it's not my problem?
Imagine being isolated/ quarantined with 3-5 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment.

That's only part of it

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1272 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
I didnt say I would post it. But its going to happen
 Thank you Hashem for gishmei bracha that keeps minyanism at bay today. Because the sefer torah is kept inside and they are not mevazeh it by reading it on the street.

I was more hoping you wouldn't have what to film... we all have our fantasies.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
Is it the smaller living space?
How many families with 2-3 children live in a 1 bedroom...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1274 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:00 AM »
Agree 100%

Just that many people on these forums like blaming jews more than the goyim

It's like the self hating jews, they're worst

Or like in israel when the chareidi are held to a different standard than the chilonim
This isn't us vs. them. We need to be a light unto the nations!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:05 AM »
Fair enough.

People are angry all over the country
people want the country open
People are starting to protest
its not only the Jews in nyc

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »
Imagine being isolated/ quarantined with 3-5 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment.

That's only part of it
I can't, but then again I can't imagine living like that in the first place.

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:57 AM »
It is not illegal to go for a walk with your kids, or for your kids to play outside. City streets with hundreds of kids on them are not conducive to social distancing.
I'm not talking about the legal part (though social distancing is not respected), it's the picture it gives.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 24, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
If youre walking on the street with your tallis and tefillin bag youre probably going to a shul that shouldnt be open. Heard so many Hatzolah members complain early on that theyre job was so much harder seeing these people who dont care. Heard them say it over the radio too.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1279 on: April 24, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »

Agree 100%

Oy. Time to delete my account and rethink my life