Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 374378 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1320 on: April 24, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
You are obviously not in BP or Williamsburg @Yehuda57 There is a poloce car stationed outside Satmar on 52nd Street counting how many people are going in and out. I'm jealous of those areas where Jews are keeping the rules. Im saddened that my neighbors and most of Boro Park cannot in one way or another do the right thing. I invite you to come here any day at 9am and 7pm. I wish I was making it up.
Is there one doing the same at all of the other places posted where other communities have people gathering?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 24, 2020, 02:53:13 PM »
I can turn someone who isn't an anti-Semite into an anti-Semite in a matter of minutes with just a certain members posts.

No one is born a racist, anti-Semite or anything else. Some are brainwashed from birth, some are just evil but most become something because of what they hear, see and believe.
Someone turning into an anti-semite for some stupidity written by one member of a random online forum should have a bigotry against the entire world.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 24, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
I think this conversation is pointless because everyone here is biased with their own opinions. But in any case if everyone can do it in a safe way there is absolutely no reason not to daven with a minyan. The fact that so many have come out against and so few rabbaonim are pro minyanim is pure politics, they were pressured big time to come out against all these things. If anyone here took a second to think about it they would realize that if everyone Davens from their own space there is no health risk. Obviously if your rabbonim say not to then don't. I personally have not davened with a minyan in weeks because my rov said not, but he also thinks there's no issue. To the people staying home good for u, and u should continue to do so. But fact is look all over the country, parks are full, stores are full, planes are flying, and cars are driving. So IMHO its unreasonable and senseless to go bashing people who daven with a minyan because you were told otherwise. As to shuls being open, that's pure irresponsibility.

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 24, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
Anyone know of prominent Rabonim in BP davening without a minyan?
I know over 50 that are davening with a minyan x 3 daily.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 24, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »
Anyone know of prominent Rabonim in BP davening without a minyan?
I know over 50 that are davening with a minyan x 3 daily.
Street, Porch or in shul?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 24, 2020, 03:29:54 PM »
Street, Porch or in shul?
My impression that you were against all.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1326 on: April 24, 2020, 03:36:14 PM »
Someone turning into an anti-semite for some stupidity written by one member of a random online forum should have a bigotry against the entire world.
You are missing the big picture. They will use any means possible. No need to give them unnecessary ammunition. That does mean you live on pins and needles because what they might say or do.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 24, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »
My impression that you were against all.
I was against all? Me? You make this sound like I just concocted this out of my head. I was just asking where these "prominent rabbonim" were davening. On a porch? On the street? Or in their (or other peoples) shuls?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 24, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
I think this conversation is pointless because everyone here is biased with their own opinions. But in any case if everyone can do it in a safe way there is absolutely no reason not to daven with a minyan. The fact that so many have come out against and so few rabbaonim are pro minyanim is pure politics, they were pressured big time to come out against all these things. If anyone here took a second to think about it they would realize that if everyone Davens from their own space there is no health risk. Obviously if your rabbonim say not to then don't. I personally have not davened with a minyan in weeks because my rov said not, but he also thinks there's no issue. To the people staying home good for u, and u should continue to do so. But fact is look all over the country, parks are full, stores are full, planes are flying, and cars are driving. So IMHO its unreasonable and senseless to go bashing people who daven with a minyan because you were told otherwise. As to shuls being open, that's pure irresponsibility.
This should have conclude this thread 2 weeks ago, but in quarantine people seem to repeat the same arguments again and again.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #1329 on: April 24, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
I was against all? Me? You make this sound like I just concocted this out of my head. I was just asking where these "prominent rabbonim" were davening. On a porch? On the street? Or in their (or other peoples) shuls?
They’re davening in the shuls that they own, with a handful of carefully selected individuals to make up their minyan.
#ForTheRightPrice

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 24, 2020, 05:10:53 PM »
They’re davening in the shuls that they own, with a handful of carefully selected individuals to make up their minyan.
#ForTheRightPrice

Wishful thinking

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 24, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »
This should have conclude this thread 2 weeks ago, but in quarantine people seem to repeat the same arguments again and again.
So many assumptions in that misguided rant. Everyone agrees that IF social distancing is kept there is no issue even having a shul open...if that was legal. The problem is that most people need gedarim for far less than pikuach nefesh...yet they cant keep simple gedarim now. Where is the bias in that? Its not an opinion of mine or anyone who has been repeating it again and again.

The banning of minyanim was a geder for pikuach nefesh for anyone who cannot control themselves during davening from getting too close to others. And I have been eyewitness to that exact problem with a street minyan day in and day out three times a day from my front window. So if that is deemed my opinion

When my neighbors who were deathly ill for weeks come outside and claim theyre cured and they daven 6 feet from someone who was davening in his front yard and hadn't been exposed there is a problem. Who says 6 feet outside is enough? Watch rabbi Freundlichs video again.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 24, 2020, 05:24:53 PM »
#ForTheRightPrice
My shul...but for free. Just the Rov his family and 2 special people (and their families) who were designated essential by my (probably soon to be former) Rov.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1333 on: April 24, 2020, 05:30:44 PM »
Incomparable, unless you agree they are davening because it’s something they want to not because it’s what Hashem wants. If it’s about what Hashem wants then the actions of others, no matter how reckless, should have no bearing on the question.

Again. I’m not saying there is no such thing as a tzad of davening with a safe minyan. But once again, your “but parks and cars” argument is ridiculous on its face.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 24, 2020, 05:31:26 PM »

Rabbanim pressured? Because the doctors were ignored.

No one pressured my Rav!

You keep pointing to the same illogical conclusion comparing everything to the goyim.

You sound like us when we were kids we wanted to watch TV we said that when something inappropriate comes out we are going to close our eyes.

So you want to make minyanim. With irresponsible 16 year olds mingling with 60 year olds.

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: April 24, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
I always wondered why Jews were blamed for the black death.
Always assumed regular anti-semitism, but it makes a little more sense now :(

There's still plenty of anti-semitism, but we need to do better.
עשו שונא ליעקב is here for the past 3500 years.
No rhyme or reason.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 24, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »
Incomparable, unless you agree they are davening because it’s something they want to not because it’s what Hashem wants. If it’s about what Hashem wants then the actions of others, no matter how reckless, should have no bearing on the question.

Again. I’m not saying there is no such thing as a tzad of davening with a safe minyan. But once again, your “but parks and cars” argument is ridiculous on its face.
Its reckless because you want it to be. How come in israel and all over the world they can safely do it but not here? Stop kidding yourself

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 24, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »

Rabbanim pressured? Because the doctors were ignored.

No one pressured my Rav!

You keep pointing to the same illogical conclusion comparing everything to the goyim.

You sound like us when we were kids we wanted to watch TV we said that when something inappropriate comes out we are going to close our eyes.

So you want to make minyanim. With irresponsible 16 year olds mingling with 60 year olds.

I didn't compare anything to goyim. Rabbanim were not pressured by drs its by askanim. Could be your rav wasn't pressured, but I know  first hand numerous rabbanim in Brooklyn and 5 towns that have shuls with hundreds of missispalem that were.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 24, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »
Its reckless because you want it to be. How come in israel and all over the world they can safely do it but not here? Stop kidding yourself
Source?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1339 on: April 24, 2020, 06:10:13 PM »
So your argument is to continue with that argument. Once more. Because many people are doing something doesn’t make it the right thing. It says something about human nature, not necessarily about the perceived safety of the activity.

You are trying to make a case for how its worth it to take some risks by saying “other people are doing it”. That’s perhaps good enough to justify a want you have, but not to justify doing a supposed mitzvah.

Let me remind you that many people davened with a minyan early on (before it was officially allowed), along with all of their normal activities, and many people died after that. Do you not think if we could go back in time we would have stopped that cold turkey? We would. Despite the fact that “other people were doing it too”.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.