Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368502 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1360 on: April 24, 2020, 06:32:34 PM »
Not every Bneshek that opens a shteibel deserves a "from a Rov to a talmid" relationship :)
My current Rov is not exactly that. Yes he inherited the shul from his father and his grandfather had a shul too. He is a talmid Chocom muflag. A masmid. A good person. From my wife's conversation with the Rebbetzin it is so clear to me that they are so absolutely clueless about what is going on that one would almost call him a shoigeg. They have no access to the outside world. So I dont blame him or them for not knowing.

Except...I alerted him on Shabbos after Purim and again on the Monday after Purim to the danger. He was told that holding an aufruf on that shabbos was irresponsible. He has been to a few speed levayas in the neighborhood. So ignorance of the law in this instance as in every other instance is not an excuse.

He is not my Posek. He is a Rov of a shteibel in the house he owns that I happen to daven in. Finding a new place to daven after this is all over will be a major pain as every Rov in my immediate neighborhood is guilty of the same. I dont know of a shul in a few block radius that is shut entirely.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 24, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »
My current Rov is not exactly that. Yes he inherited the shul from his father and his grandfather had a shul too. He is a talmid Chocom muflag. A masmid. A good person. From my wife's conversation with the Rebbetzin it is so clear to me that they are so absolutely clueless about what is going on that one would almost call him a shoigeg. They have no access to the outside world. So I dont blame him or them for not knowing.

Except...I alerted him on Shabbos after Purim and again on the Monday after Purim to the danger. He was told that holding an aufruf on that shabbos was irresponsible. He has been to a few speed levayas in the neighborhood. So ignorance of the law in this instance as in every other instance is not an excuse.

He is not my Posek. He is a Rov of a shteibel in the house he owns that I happen to daven in. Finding a new place to daven after this is all over will be a major pain as every Rov in my immediate neighborhood is guilty of the same. I dont know of a shul in a few block radius that is shut entirely.
I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to discuss you personally I was just trying to discuss the idea

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 24, 2020, 06:36:44 PM »
I understand one can choose but if every time he tells you something you don't like or does something you don't agree you change it loses it s purpose

Seems that it needs some balance
He has said things and so what. When I look at him and all I see is someone so irresponsible that minyan meant more than a 98 year old who is no longer with us I struggle with that. You seek balance. I cannot ever ever ever reconcile that sweet old man who I davened with very weekday dying because the shul was left open 1 extra minute, let alone the fact that it is still operating clandestinely for certain people. So walk a mile in my shoes before you judge my decision-making process. 

I've davened there 20+ years. So its not easy. And I havent made the decision yet. I'm just struggling with the balance.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1363 on: April 24, 2020, 06:37:03 PM »

Move OOT, or better yet, to Lakewood
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 24, 2020, 06:45:49 PM »
He has said things and so what. When I look at him and all I see is someone so irresponsible that minyan meant more than a 98 year old who is no longer with us I struggle with that. You seek balance. I cannot ever ever ever reconcile that sweet old man who I davened with very weekday dying because the shul was left open 1 extra minute, let alone the fact that it is still operating clandestinely for certain people. So walk a mile in my shoes before you judge my decision-making process. 

I've davened there 20+ years. So its not easy. And I havent made the decision yet. I'm just struggling with the balance.
If you confront him what would he answer?
Just curious
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:01:07 PM by mgarfin »

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1365 on: April 24, 2020, 06:48:11 PM »
I understand one can choose but if every time he tells you something you don't like or does something you don't agree you change it loses it s purpose

Seems that it needs some balance

Us Jews are supposed to take lives seriously.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 24, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
Us Jews are supposed to take lives seriously.
Mazel you didnt say YOOS JOOS

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 24, 2020, 06:59:56 PM »
I dont know of a shul in a few block radius....
you can move OOT and this will suffice  :)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 24, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »
you can move OOT and this will suffice  :)
;D ;D
FYI I love Boston...wife wont hear of any move...anywhere.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 24, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
Move OOT, or better yet, to Lakewood

Or open up shop yourself.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 24, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
Or open up shop yourself.
Means I will still be davening without minyan.  ;D

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1371 on: April 24, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »
Means I will still be davening without minyan.  ;D
I knew it! You don’t care about minyan! You are a sheigetz who doesn’t care about minyan and you’re lecturing us!!

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 25, 2020, 09:04:23 PM »
;D ;D
FYI I love Boston...wife wont hear of any move...anywhere.
Hey... I have several shuls within a couple blocks of my house...BOS is in-town we even have Rollmasters sushi now.
 :D

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 25, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »
I knew it! You don’t care about minyan! You are a sheigetz who doesn’t care about minyan and you’re lecturing us!!
I see you're running a different account here as well.  ;)
Hey... I have several shuls within a couple blocks of my house...BOS is in-town we even have Rollmasters sushi now.
 :D
Sushi doesnt do it for me. But I love your town.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1374 on: April 25, 2020, 11:43:50 PM »
I see you're running a different account here as well
I’ve been banned  >:(

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 25, 2020, 11:53:42 PM »
A question on the topic from a different angle.

Some neighborhoods allegedly have minyonim going on in a manner that is not adhering to the medical and legal guidelines (either in shuls with limited participants or on the streets without proper social distancing), some places (like Lakewood by and large) have outdoor minyonim with social distancing and some places (like passaic and five towns) have no minyonim at all.

Are there new people contracting the virus at a higher rate in the places that are being less careful?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 25, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »

Some neighborhoods allegedly have minyonim going on in a manner that is not adhering to the medical and legal guidelines (either in shuls with limited participants or on the streets without proper social distancing), some places (like Lakewood by and large) have outdoor minyonim with social distancing and some places (like passaic and five towns) have no minyonim at all.

Are there new people contracting the virus at a higher rate in the places that are being less careful?
You're not going to get any scientific answer to that. Just use your common sense. It's unbelievable that we have to literally bang the basics into peoples' heads.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1377 on: April 26, 2020, 12:00:33 AM »

Here’s a good place to start: Check up who from our community has died recently. Backdate to when they first started showing symptoms. Assuming symptoms started a good week or two after the initial wave, check if they or a family member davened with an unsafe minyan and/or attended Yeshiva. You’ll probably see some eye opening stuff.

After doing a small amount of unscientific anecdotal research (which I’m not going to share) I came across some very unsettling correlations. You can do it yourself.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 26, 2020, 12:02:44 AM »
It's actually a very good question. We've seen a slowdown all over. My take is (non scientific alert) that the most vulnerable i.e. 60+ are taking it serious everywhere.

Online Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 26, 2020, 12:03:20 AM »

1. You’ll be hard pressed to gather accurate statistics on the size of our community, the number of affected people, the number of hospitalizations, and R”L the numbers of those who have succumbed to this awful disease.