Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 375215 times)

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1400 on: April 26, 2020, 12:32:54 AM »
Why are people doing this ? My development people were schmoozing with each other after davening
Kids running around aimlessly
When will this stop ??
My street has  people shmoozing with each other and kids running around aimlessly not after davening. I took a walk this afternoon and there were tons of people out (mostly practicing social distancing at least the adults). People are getting restless especially since today was the first nice day in a few days.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 26, 2020, 12:33:02 AM »
I asked a fair question and all you have to say is your same rant  that has nothing to do with the question and that you have stated 100 times. If you have nothing smart to say please follow your own advice.
+100.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 26, 2020, 12:33:42 AM »
A question on the topic from a different angle.

Some neighborhoods allegedly have minyonim going on in a manner that is not adhering to the medical and legal guidelines (either in shuls with limited participants or on the streets without proper social distancing), some places (like Lakewood by and large) have outdoor minyonim with social distancing and some places (like passaic and five towns) have no minyonim at all.

Are there new people contracting the virus at a higher rate in the places that are being less careful?

Who the hell knows?!?

If anything we have learned is we don't know anything yet, every day, people are dying.

How the hell does anyone know the level of infection ? Read the other boards, we have false negatives, maybe classes of re-infection etc etc

Why does this matter ? Why does it need to make sense to you ?

When I shouted warnings in February I was ignored .

In March I was ignored. And when it came, they said "we didn't see it coming "

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 26, 2020, 12:34:22 AM »
Rav of a Shul who closed right after purim (same time as all the other shuls in the community once they realized the dangers) told me today that he had doctors in his shul calling him very upset that they were closing so for all you people yelling and shouting at the rabbis maybe a little Dan Lekaf Zechus that its not always the rabbis fault..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1404 on: April 26, 2020, 12:35:28 AM »
A minyan behind my house had a Kiddush today too. He had mini bottles and wrapped cake.
Give an inch and people take a mile :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:47:30 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2020, 12:35:50 AM »
Can anyone on here justify this?
At least he had single serve packages. I would not have been surprised had it been a regular hand to mouth platter.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 26, 2020, 12:37:00 AM »
Give an inch and people take a mile :(
This group was like this straight through.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:47:38 AM by Dan »

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2020, 12:37:39 AM »

Didn't know you're such an Askan.
Why is the opposite of being locked in your house all day, irresponsibility?

I'm a nobody, at least I don't play games with people's lives.

As a triple board certified internist and pulmonologist expert told me last week "no one knows, Even I know enough to say that I don't know"

I'm sorry you feel cooped up. No one said you can't go out. Keep to 6 feet away from others who do not live with you.

Obviously this is a problem If I going out these rules can't be kept because people get too close.. again that's where the mishna always warns of being especially cautious

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2020, 12:38:36 AM »
Who the hell knows?!?

If anything we have learned is we don't know anything yet, every day, people are dying.

How the hell does anyone know the level of infection ? Read the other boards, we have false negatives, maybe classes of re-infection etc etc

Why does this matter ? Why does it need to make sense to you ?

When I shouted warnings in February I was ignored .

In March I was ignored. And when it came, they said "we didn't see it coming "
At this point everyone understands the severity and of the situation and has their own ways of dealing with it. Why on God's earth do you feel that you and what you've been told is the ultimate arbitrator?
I know places  in tri state first  hand that still  have shuls open and don't have a single death or people in the hospital.  Fact of the matter is everyone needs to stay safe.

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 26, 2020, 12:38:41 AM »
Can someone justify what is going on in NJ ?
How can they have semi social distancing.
Are we only careful when we go to a grocery store but not by davening outside.
BMG said that chazan was supposed to stop if someone is not following their guidelines with the outside minyan. But did that happen today ? NO

Are they waiting for more people to die ??
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: April 26, 2020, 12:41:25 AM »
A minyan behind my house had a Kiddush today too. He had mini bottles and wrapped cake.
maybe they thought all the alcohol would kill the virus

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 26, 2020, 12:41:31 AM »
A question on the topic from a different angle.

Some neighborhoods allegedly have minyonim going on in a manner that is not adhering to the medical and legal guidelines (either in shuls with limited participants or on the streets without proper social distancing), some places (like Lakewood by and large) have outdoor minyonim with social distancing and some places (like passaic and five towns) have no minyonim at all.

Are there new people contracting the virus at a higher rate in the places that are being less careful?
I don’t think anybody here including yourself believes that minyonim in an unsafe way should be permitted anywhere.

It all boils down to what ppl think is safe, and if there are reasonings to ban it across the board.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 26, 2020, 12:43:36 AM »
I don’t think anybody here including yourself believes that minyonim in an unsafe way should be permitted anywhere.

It all boils down to what ppl think is safe, and if there are reasonings to ban it across the board.
Except for those participating in such minyanim.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:06 AM »
Rav of a Shul who closed right after purim (same time as all the other shuls in the community once they realized the dangers) told me today that he had doctors in his shul calling him very upset that they were closing so for all you people yelling and shouting at the rabbis maybe a little Dan Lekaf Zechus that its not always the rabbis fault..
Most of klal yisroel closed their Shuls appx a week after purim. Contrary to what some here like to think most of the people making these decisions are responsible ehrliche people that were following the advice of most doctors and of the government that didn't feel at that point closing shuls was necessary.

In hindsight should things have been closed earlier? Yes. Does that mean that what most of klal yisroel did was wrong at the time based on the circumstances at time? No.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:14 AM »
It's actually a very good question. We've seen a slowdown all over. My take is (non scientific alert) that the most vulnerable i.e. 60+ are taking it serious everywhere.
So seriously in fact that at least 3 70+ year olds were at the minyan this shabbos on my block. The reason: They are grandparents or great granparents of a baby girl that was named at the minyan. Very very very important reason that should not be discounted. Thats besides the pther guest that decided they needed to join the minyan and came to daven here on the street. Strolling back and forth is a requirement in a certain chasidus apparently.

Also trespassing on a front walk and standing at someones door who isnt home for weeks is also allowed. The guy even had the chutzpah to hang his siddur in a bag on the door all shabbos so he didnt have to carry in the eruv because he doesnt really hold of that.

Thats my update for now.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:50 AM »
At this point everyone understands the severity and of the situation and has their own ways of dealing with it. Why on God's earth do you feel that you and what you've been told is the ultimate arbitrator?
I know places  in tri state first  hand that still  have shuls open and don't have a single death or people in the hospital.  Fact of the matter is everyone needs to stay safe.

You sound just like the posters about Lakewood before the s&$# hit the fan.

Also Hungary in 1944 was life like normal.. untill it wasn't.

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:58 AM »

They are probably being more careful than others but I have seen many (and know a few) who just don’t get it.

I even know one of those who was niftar..  :'(
i know tons of ppl locked in. There will always be careless ones, that’s part of society.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 26, 2020, 12:47:15 AM »
You sound just like the posters about Lakewood before the s&$# hit the fan.

Also Hungary in 1944 was life like normal.. untill it wasn't.
Who would've thought you wouldn't have the answer to every scenario? If you can't see a difference between 1944 and now then.....

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1418 on: April 26, 2020, 12:47:45 AM »
Most of klal yisroel closed their Shuls appx a week after purim. Contrary to what some here like to think most of the people making these decisions are responsible ehrliche people that were following the advice of most doctors and of the government that didn't feel at that point closing shuls was necessary.

In hindsight should things have been closed earlier? Yes. Does that mean that what most of klal yisroel did was wrong at the time based on the circumstances at time? No.

It's a nice sentiment, and probably true of the greater global Jewish community. But the fact is, many shuls in the hardest hit areas were operating closer to Pesach than Purim. Not rumor, not hyperbole, actually witnessed by DDF members participating in this conversation. Some are still operating. Some have changed a few things for appearances. But lives are still being played with, so we're still having this conversation.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 26, 2020, 12:48:12 AM »
Can someone justify what is going on in NJ ?
How can they have semi social distancing.
Are we only careful when we go to a grocery store but not by davening outside.
BMG said that chazan was supposed to stop if someone is not following their guidelines with the outside minyan. But did that happen today ? NO

Are they waiting for more people to die ??
Time to change your name to NJ.