Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368772 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1440 on: April 26, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »
Hmm so visiting your parents (whom I would assume are older) with social distancing is OK but if someone davens on his porch with a minyan with social distancing he is a murderer.
Youre dishonesty is astonishing. Davening with a minyan that could result in not distancing makes you a potential murderer. Thats why they banned any minyanim to begin with. Why cant you just accept that syug l'chochma shtika...syug l'pikuach nefesh is not davening with a freakin street minyan? ?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: April 26, 2020, 01:06:36 AM »
I assume he is not coming home on shabbos so by the time he gets back the germs will be gone. (i'm not justifying using someones property without permision just pointing out you are going a bit over the top).
Says who? Are you that dense? Really? The virus can live on surfaces for days.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: April 26, 2020, 01:07:21 AM »
Its ok because he speaks to 20 dr's a day, but were all dumb stupid and irresponsible. I see your catching on

Please stop making a fool out of yourself. You sound like the 7 year olds in my class in 2nd grade.

My totty is bigger than your totty
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:12:03 AM by chevron »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1443 on: April 26, 2020, 01:08:37 AM »
I assume he is not coming home on shabbos so by the time he gets back the germs will be gone. (i'm not justifying using someones property without permision just pointing out you are going a bit over the top).

And if he's already home and gets his mail after shabbos? Then it's a legit complaint? I've been accused of seeing things in black and white, but potentially messing with other people's lives, on their own property on top of it all, I think there's a pretty clear line there.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 26, 2020, 01:11:04 AM »
Hmm so visiting your parents (whom I would assume are older) with social distancing is OK but if someone davens on his porch with a minyan with social distancing he is a murderer.

My parents are fairly young and healthy.  My mother is keh 60. My father doesn't hang out in the backyard..

The concern is my grandmother who lives with them. Yeah I'm concerned.

I encourage people to sit 10 feet away.

My mother is aware of the dangers and stays back, as are my siblings.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: April 26, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
And if he's already home and gets his mail after shabbos? Then it's a legit complaint? I've been accused of seeing things in black and white, but potentially messing with other people's lives, on their own property on top of it all, I think there's a pretty clear line there.
Apparently minyan trumps safek pikuach nefesh. Duh...we have pages and pages of this drivel now. I will protest and update every insane story I see until shuls reopen.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 26, 2020, 01:13:29 AM »
My parents are fairly young and healthy.  My mother is keh 60. My father doesn't hang out in the backyard..

Does anyone not know that social distancing was not to prevent the virus from spreading but only to SLOW it down. This 6 foot baloney is only to slow it down.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #1447 on: April 26, 2020, 01:14:06 AM »
We thus realize that many many ppl don’t give a damn about the health and well-being of themselves and others. All they’re into is doing whatever they feel will make them holy, frum etc...
At this point there’s no point in reiterating again and again how dangerous these actions might be.
You’ll accomplish way more by talking to any wall you might be next to.

Offline yaakov35

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 26, 2020, 01:15:28 AM »
Please stop making a fool out of yourself. You sound like the 7 year olds in my class in 2nd grade.

My totty is bigger than your totty
You've been sitting here ranting that we shouldn't go anywhere near people yet you do it yourself, and that's fine if you do. But please stop yelling at everyone else.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1449 on: April 26, 2020, 01:15:42 AM »
We thus realize that many many ppl don’t give a damn about the health and well-being of themselves and others. All they’re into is doing whatever they feel will make them holy, frum etc...
At this point there’s no point in reiterating again and again how dangerous these actions might be.
You’ll accomplish way more by talking to any wall you might be next to.
As I’ve stated numerous times, by saying something enough you CAN possibly make a difference. Obviously not everyone but isn’t it worth it in case somebody is on the edge?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1450 on: April 26, 2020, 01:17:00 AM »
You've been sitting here ranting that we shouldn't go anywhere near people yet you do it yourself, and that's fine if you do. But please stop yelling at everyone else.
I don’t have a problem with him yelling but you do have a valid question. I do NOT visit my parents or in laws except through closed doors or windows.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #1451 on: April 26, 2020, 01:18:06 AM »
As I’ve stated numerous times, by saying something enough you CAN possibly make a difference. Obviously not everyone but isn’t it worth it in case somebody is on the edge?
You might be doing more harm than good by giving these ppl momentum and they can share their newfound thrill and enthusiasm with others.
Flaring them up might have a negative effect...

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1452 on: April 26, 2020, 01:19:49 AM »
You might be doing more harm than good by giving these ppl momentum and they can share their newfound thrill and enthusiasm with others.
Flaring them up might have a negative effect...
Maybe, that’s a risk they’re apparently willing to take.

Personally I’m not against porch minyanim per se.

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 26, 2020, 01:20:50 AM »

to be honest if your 80+ year old grandmother is living there no one should be going, especially after you mentioned that your mother hangs out outside

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 26, 2020, 01:28:19 AM »
I don’t have a problem with him yelling but you do have a valid question. I do NOT visit my parents or in laws except through closed doors or windows.

I did not visit for 5 weeks. Only from outside etc .

We did get a little lax over pesach a little in backyard, I'm not here to lie.

I wasn't happy and mostly it was just one siblings, his wife and the kids playing and my mom came out for a bit said hi, brought food etc.

I did protest and do but see here's the thing, there's minyan which is not sticking to porches, there's people in Miami keeping 6-10 feet etc and there's kibbud av v'em which is d'oraysa and minyan which is?

The 6 feet slows the spread yes. I'm aware of everything.. I'm not gonna fight with my siblings and parents, I don't think it's a great idea and no one in my family besides my grandmother is at risk.

Almost everyone stays home, those of us that go out avoid people, mask, gloves, sanitizer etc and I'm not even gonna use the Miami excuse.

I spent 5 weeks of agnoy and fighting with my parents. .

But this is way safer than people doing play dates or street minyan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: April 26, 2020, 01:32:08 AM »
to be honest if your 80+ year old grandmother is living there no one should be going, especially after you mentioned that your mother hangs out outside

There's only so much I can do. It's a concern and frankly my mother is depressed.

I can't scream at my mother, I did and she cried and I realize that's not helping.

As for my siblings, as one comment said, the natives are getting restless.

Again, it's a concern, as you see here and in real life. Not everyone listens.

I just spent my 8th Shabbat alone. 😭

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 26, 2020, 01:33:45 AM »
Actually worth adding that FL wasn't hit as hard, might give room for some leniency.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 26, 2020, 01:37:54 AM »
Actually worth adding that FL wasn't hit as hard, might give room for some leniency.

I'm not looking for it. Because on the one hand yes there is a feeling that it's not a massive issue.

I only know of one single person here in the community that tested positive for it and he got in New York Purim, by the time he came back shul was already closed.

My concern though about minyan is also if someone sneezes and coughs, Do you realistically see everybody running away?

Nobody in my family has had any symptoms of anything.  But if someone did sneeze, my mother could run back..

I mean yes I've been through everything and I'm not looking for any leniencies.

But anyone davening indoors 6 ft or 10 ft is a concern!!

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 26, 2020, 02:18:59 AM »
Why are people doing this ? My development people were schmoozing with each other after davening
Kids running around aimlessly
When will this stop ??
Same in my development. With the added bonus of people who don't live in the development joining the "porch" minyanim (which actually took place on yards etc.) Boggles the mind.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 26, 2020, 02:20:15 AM »
Same in my development. With the added bonus of people who don't live in the development joining the "porch" minyanim (which actually took place on yards etc.) Boggles the mind.
If you’re so curious why don’t you just ask them directly?? You expect to get their answer here?