Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 377128 times)

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #2560 on: May 25, 2020, 06:08:56 PM »
Anything works better than NY's ridiculous 10 people rule.
Wait till these lib dems are thrown out for good!!! Everyone is fed up!!

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: May 25, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »

Not holding my breath.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2562 on: May 25, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »

That will be when we will see the גאולה האמיתית והשלימה, though at that point we don't really care about lib dems ...
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: May 25, 2020, 09:54:59 PM »

Can you please stop playing this card? Can you stop with the yesomim eye staring? We all don't want people to die. If you think you're any more sensitive to that than anyone else, you're most likely definitely wrong.
FTFY
I can't understand why this even needs to be said on a forum like this...(unfortunately i think it does).
If we can all agree on this premise, and have an intellectually honest conversation, we will get much further....
Sure. I use it because you have guys like @Kobe bryent calling for everything to return to normal and "just lock up the at risk people."
This is repulsive!!!
I make a point that "everyone here definitely don't want people to die, no matter their opinion" and you respond by firstly making a false claim that i want everything to return back to normal (citation needed) and then proceed to do exactly that which we are decrying.
This is nothing more than standing on the graves of all those who have succumbed to this dreadful plague.   

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2564 on: May 25, 2020, 10:09:28 PM »
This is nothing more than standing on the graves of all those who have succumbed to this dreadful plague.

Nice try, Ben wannabe  :P

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: May 25, 2020, 10:11:47 PM »

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: May 25, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »
This is repulsive!!!
I make a point that "everyone here definitely don't want people to die, no matter their opinion" and you respond by firstly making a false claim that i want everything to return back to normal (citation needed) and then proceed to do exactly that which we are decrying.
This has been bothering me for some time, there are some here who love assuming ill intent. The idea that someone can think rationally and still care about loss of life is something they don't seem to comprehend. The idea that there can possibly be repercussions caused by lockdown is considered a conspiracy theory.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2567 on: May 25, 2020, 10:39:59 PM »
. The idea that there can possibly be repercussions caused by lockdown is considered a conspiracy theory.
Straw man. You're better than that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 25, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »
Straw man. You're better than that.
What else would you call this?
Puh-leaze. Can you stop hiding behind other people's anxiety? This isn't about saving other people's mental health. You just don't think this is a pandemic or any bigger risk than driving a car. That's as far as this argument goes. It's not even the flu, it's the common cold. Just life as usual.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2569 on: May 25, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »
What else would you call this?
You outright said anybody young worried about the virus now should be on anxiety meds. Then you heard some unverified news about there possibly being a rise in anxiety meds and got very concerned. Funny, I don’t notice you commenting how concerned you were about the deaths as they’ve been piling up. Those are actually verified and proven. Oh, and they’re DEATHS.

I call it straw man.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2570 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:20 PM »
This has been bothering me for some time, there are some here who love assuming ill intent. The idea that someone can think rationally and still care about loss of life is something they don't seem to comprehend. The idea that there can possibly be repercussions caused by lockdown is considered a conspiracy theory.

I'm going to address this one first. Here's my first post related to Covid on March 20:

Something conspicuously missing from all the Covid-19 coverage is the effect on the addiction and recovery communities. For addicts, the fear is just another reason to use, and every drug transaction or interaction is making sure they all get infected. I'm pretty sure the immunocompromisation rate in that world is staggering. For those in recovery, meetings are cancelled. Stress and triggers are everywhere. Religious mentors, sponsors, and sober friends aren't readily available. Overdose percentages go up for a relapse versus regular use. Between the overdoses and virus fatalities, the death rate in these vulnerable communities will make senior citizens feel safe.

Please, please, please - if you know someone who deals with addiction, whether active or in recovery, reach out and make sure they are ok.

Stop talking to me about at-risk populations when all you want to do is get back to normal. This has been discussed before. You can't have a conversation about the mental health costs of staying at home unless you are willing to talk about the mental health costs of an out-of-control pandemic and massive loss of life. Until you can prove one is greater than the other, it's a wash. You have an argument based on science that backs what you want? Bring it.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2571 on: May 25, 2020, 10:57:33 PM »
Stop talking to me about at-risk populations when all you want to do is get back to normal. This has been discussed before. You can't have a conversation about the mental health costs of staying at home unless you are willing to talk about the mental health costs of an out-of-control pandemic and massive loss of life. Until you can prove one is greater than the other, it's a wash. You have an argument based on science that backs what you want? Bring it.
Reminds me of people saying that countries were killing their tourist industry by closing down borders early.
As if the pandemic itself wouldn't kill the tourist industry...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: May 25, 2020, 11:25:27 PM »
Let's what happens...

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: May 25, 2020, 11:28:52 PM »
Let's what happens...
Wrong thread.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: May 25, 2020, 11:30:03 PM »
Wrong thread.
Umm how? Thats literally what the thread title says. Its about corona and shul. Don't think anything would be more befitting

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: May 25, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »
Umm how? Thats literally what the thread title says. Its about corona and shul. Don't think anything would be more befitting
Yeah, I was just making a point.

This one: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=115005.0

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: May 25, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »
I'm going to address this one first. Here's my first post related to Covid on March 20:

Understood. Although my post wasn't directed at you specifically.

I'm all for keeping some restrictions, I have an issue with the slow drip we see in NJ and other places. I still believe there is some balance where we can mitigate the effects of a second wave (limit big events and protect the vulnerable) as well as open up everything else, at this point I think we should go straight to that without all the baby steps in the middle.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2577 on: May 25, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »
Motorcycle, car, and bike shops last week. Campgrounds this week. Who knows what'll be next!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2578 on: May 25, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »
Understood. Although my post wasn't directed at you specifically.
 I'm all for keeping some restrictions, I have an issue with the slow drip we see in NJ and other places. I still believe there is some balance where we can mitigate the effects of a second wave (limit big events and protect the vulnerable) as well as open up everything else, at this point I think we should go straight to that without all the baby steps in the middle.
I disagree with you about the concept of steps as it is a good way to see what restrictions are key but agreed about the rest. This arbitrary drip drip is bonkers.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2579 on: May 25, 2020, 11:47:05 PM »
I disagree with you about the steps as it is a good way to see what restrictions are key but agreed about the rest
The steps should be based on how much / what type of exposure is involved, and perhaps bearing in mind how many people are affected by their closure. Not by throwing darts at a board to choose random industries.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.