Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 377661 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #2620 on: May 28, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »
Doctors have a CYA mentality, for the same reason they routinely reccomend unnecessary tests so they don't get sued they'll also reccomend lockdown.
Are you suggesting doctors routinely recommend doing things that are unreasonable just to CTA? They’re more cautious but not too extreme about it. They’ll often tell you to do things you may have misgivings about.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: May 28, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »
Are you suggesting doctors routinely recommend doing things that are unreasonable just to CTA?
Absolutely. One of the biggest issues with our healthcare system is the ease in which people can sue a Dr, they'd much rather order a CT scan even if the ailment they're trying to rule out is incredibly remote just so you can't come back and sue.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2622 on: May 28, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »
One thing a Rov, similar to a parent, needs to think through is what will potential end results be of taking the full hard line stance even if it is correct.

AKA דער פינפטער חלק....
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2623 on: May 28, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Absolutely. One of the biggest issues with our healthcare system is the ease in which people can sue a Dr, they'd much rather order a CT scan even if the ailment they're trying to rule out is incredibly remote just so you can't come back and sue.

+100

An additional contributing factor is the way doctors are paid.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:09:36 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #2624 on: May 31, 2020, 02:58:14 AM »
In BP every shul was fully functional on Shavuos. Can count on my fingers how many ppl I saw with masks over the past two days. Bh

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: May 31, 2020, 04:16:11 AM »
In BP every shul was fully functional on Shavuos. Can count on my fingers how many ppl I saw with masks over the past two days. Bh

Didn’t see any masks in Lakewood. There was some spacing at the very beginning of shavuos but that was mostly over with by the end. Partition between the baal korei and the oleh ended up in storage. A friend tells me that in his neighborhood there was a shalom zachor in a tent with a multitude of charcuterie boards and quite a crowd in  attendance.

Back to the regularly scheduled program. Sigh......

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 31, 2020, 08:28:32 AM »
A local Jew posted a pic of himself participating at a protest today for the police killing in Minneapolis. I messaged him: Isn't it dangerous to be out there during covid? isn't it illegal to congregate? His answer shocked me: "If its important to you, then you take risks".

This man is so scientific and liberal, he is for the  shelter at home to remain in place till at least November. Yet when something is important to him, he is willing to take the risk.

This indeed is the story of the Jewish people, they left Egypt not knowing where they were being taken to. Some Jews said: Let us return to Egypt, זכרנו את הדגה אשר נאכל במצרים, we are not allowed to take the risk, it is pikuach nefesh, the Torah does not allow us to continue in the desert.

Others argues that circumcision is definitely prohibited, because it's safek Pikuach Nefesh, who knows if a baby can survive in the desert after a surgery. Most yidden followed their leaders who proclaimed "We are being machmir in Pikuach Nefesh and will not preform the mitzvah of Bris Milah", "The same torah that asks us to circumcise our children, tells us not to in the desert.".  They may have even studied the laws of bris in lieu of Bris. Only Shevet Levi - the tribe of Levi, circumcised their children. Hashem rewarded them and before his passing, Moshe remind the yidden כי שמרו אמרתך ובריתך ינצורו, and Rashi explains וישראל לא היו מלין את בניהם והם היו מלים.

Bnei Yisroel only merited to receive the Torah because they took the risk with Moshe Rabeinu. Why did they take the risk? Because when something is important to you, you take a risk.

Happy Shavuos

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 31, 2020, 09:44:18 AM »
A local Jew posted a pic of himself participating at a protest today for the police killing in Minneapolis. I messaged him: Isn't it dangerous to be out there during covid? isn't it illegal to congregate? His answer shocked me: "If its important to you, then you take risks".

This man is so scientific and liberal, he is for the  shelter at home to remain in place till at least November. Yet when something is important to him, he is willing to take the risk.

This indeed is the story of the Jewish people, they left Egypt not knowing where they were being taken to. Some Jews said: Let us return to Egypt, זכרנו את הדגה אשר נאכל במצרים, we are not allowed to take the risk, it is pikuach nefesh, the Torah does not allow us to continue in the desert.

Others argues that circumcision is definitely prohibited, because it's safek Pikuach Nefesh, who knows if a baby can survive in the desert after a surgery. Most yidden followed their leaders who proclaimed "We are being machmir in Pikuach Nefesh and will not preform the mitzvah of Bris Milah", "The same torah that asks us to circumcise our children, tells us not to in the desert.".  They may have even studied the laws of bris in lieu of Bris. Only Shevet Levi - the tribe of Levi, circumcised their children. Hashem rewarded them and before his passing, Moshe remind the yidden כי שמרו אמרתך ובריתך ינצורו, and Rashi explains וישראל לא היו מלין את בניהם והם היו מלים.

Bnei Yisroel only merited to receive the Torah because they took the risk with Moshe Rabeinu. Why did they take the risk? Because when something is important to you, you take a risk.

Happy Shavuos

So high risk people are not important to you and it’s fine if they all die. And no I’m not misconstruing what you think, because at this point you are fully aware of who’s enjoying the consequences of the risks you so happily take.
Visibly Jewish

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: May 31, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
So high risk people are not important to you and it’s fine if they all die. And no I’m not misconstruing what you think, because at this point you are fully aware of who’s enjoying the consequences of the risks you so happily take.
I don't see you calling the rioters grandma killers

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 31, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
Sounds like Purim and we all know how that ended.

Let's bookmark this comment for when a second wave hits C"V.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:08:30 AM by JMHO »

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 31, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »

Others argues that circumcision is definitely prohibited, because it's safek Pikuach Nefesh, who knows if a baby can survive in the desert after a surgery. Most yidden followed their leaders who proclaimed "We are being machmir in Pikuach Nefesh and will not preform the mitzvah of Bris Milah", "The same torah that asks us to circumcise our children, tells us not to in the desert.".  They may have even studied the laws of bris in lieu of Bris. Only Shevet Levi - the tribe of Levi, circumcised their children. Hashem rewarded them and before his passing, Moshe remind the yidden כי שמרו אמרתך ובריתך ינצורו, and Rashi explains וישראל לא היו מלין את בניהם והם היו מלים.

Happy Shavuos
We don't pasken Halacha from aggadeta.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 31, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »
I don't see you calling the rioters grandma killers

Didn’t notice that this thread was about rioters. But if you think I need to compare you to rioters to make you look good, then we’re on the same page.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2632 on: May 31, 2020, 10:15:25 AM »
I get people wanting to get back to shul. What I don't get is the mindset of "bh everyone is ignoring the danger" if you want to ignore the danger leave Hashem out of it. It has nothing to do with him.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:21:13 AM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #2633 on: May 31, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »

Unfortunately your comment has the vibe that you’d love to see a second wave just to prove me and others wrong... ( I can see you’re pre-edited comment...)
Don’t forget, in BP it’s been regular life for weeks already.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: May 31, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »
I get people wanting to get back to shul. What I don't get is the mindset of "bh everyone is ignoring the danger" if you want to ignore the danger leave God out of it. It has nothing to do with Him.

FTFY
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: May 31, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »

Online Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:32 AM »
Unfortunately your comment has the vibe that you’d love to see a second wave just to prove me and others wrong... ( I can see you’re pre-edited comment...)
Orlando also they’ve been living regular lives since Pesach. Probably 10k Jews and we aren’t hearing anything bad BH

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: May 31, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »

Wow. Thats sad.

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: May 31, 2020, 10:36:15 AM »
They're like the liberals with Florida and Georgia, wait 2 weeks, wait another 2 weeks,
We cant have shul but we can have protesters
I think these people have a problem with Judaism and chassidim specifically, and right now there hate is really showing for judiasm

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: May 31, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
They're like the liberals with Florida and Georgia, wait 2 weeks, wait another 2 weeks,
We cant have shul but we can have protesters
I think these people have a problem with Judaism and chassidim specifically, and right now there hate is really showing for judiasm
It is so doable to reopen the shuls in a way that is unquestionably safe. To ignore all danger just to have cholent after davening and the like has nothing to do with Judaism.