Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 377851 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #3000 on: September 21, 2020, 10:10:45 PM »
Super spreader means that some are much more contagious than others, but I didn't see studies that showed that someone whose close presence other household members are in for hours every day may have never been contagious, and the fact that they never tested positive does not imply any element of temporary immunity.

First wave household members getting sick now is also not a proof. It seems likely that they had some sort of temporary immunity then, which they have since lost. This is not a foreign concept to us; that immunity from coronavirus colds lasts 4-6 months. It would be logical that many who had been immune then no longer are. These seem to be the main people driving the uptick these days.

1. Non-superspreaders can be not contagious at all. "For covid-19, this means 80% of new transmissions are caused by fewer than 20% of the carriers—the vast majority of people infect very few others or none at all"

2. Not all exposures are limited to household members.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: September 21, 2020, 10:30:36 PM »
Trying to find a way to say, "Your parlor, your rules," without sounding overly dark or dramatic.
You both made me laugh. Just giving you guys credit for making me feel better and get over this Covid business.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3002 on: September 21, 2020, 10:34:04 PM »
You both made me laugh. Just giving you guys credit for making me feel better and get over this Covid business.

How's that going?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: September 21, 2020, 10:42:17 PM »
Oh you mean that immunity is only temporary? what would the ramifications of that be?

Are you asking facetiously? I'm not saying anything new, and you're probably preaching to the choir. At this point, the data on the ground seems to point to a very many people that were extremely significantly exposed in March and April and did not get sick then getting sick now, and a very few (but not unheard of) reinfections. We also know for a fact that antibodies levels wane after a few months for a lot of people. There are no reinfections people that currently have IgG antibodies, to the best of my knowledge. What do you think this means?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: September 21, 2020, 11:04:22 PM »
How's that going?
BH much better, though I was better on RH than today. I also lost my sense of smell today, although my other symptoms have basically gone away.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: September 21, 2020, 11:07:17 PM »
Are you asking facetiously? I'm not saying anything new, and you're probably preaching to the choir. At this point, the data on the ground seems to point to a very many people that were extremely significantly exposed in March and April and did not get sick then getting sick now, and a very few (but not unheard of) reinfections. We also know for a fact that antibodies levels wane after a few months for a lot of people. There are no reinfections people that currently have IgG antibodies, to the best of my knowledge. What do you think this means?
Exposed means nothing. Covid positive patients are typically only contagious for a 6 hour period.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3006 on: September 21, 2020, 11:12:48 PM »
That the assumption of exposure equaling infection is bunk.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: September 21, 2020, 11:29:29 PM »
Exposed means nothing. Covid positive patients are typically only contagious for a 6 hour period.

Source?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: September 21, 2020, 11:31:27 PM »
Source?
https://www.vox.com/21296067/coronavirus-covid-symptoms-superspreaders-superspreading-contagious-bars-restaurants
  The research suggests that people carrying this virus are potentially infectious for about two and a half days — and rise to a “moderate probability of transmission per contact” for “less than half a day,” the researchers write

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: September 21, 2020, 11:40:44 PM »
There's a huge gray area here and it's pretty serious to see caution thrown in the wind for the sake of what some people consider critical.

It's just what you build off, we go from covid+ minyan where folks are walking to shul (due to false info, they may not wear a mask)

They may be stopped by a friend to say hi and figure it's outdoors, no big deal..

"But the Rav said it's ok for shmuli to go to shul, I can go see chani, her whole family got it"

Your arguments merely back the concern, humans are weak, someho people keep quoting daas Torah.

Who is daas Torah?!? What happened to everyone's fanatical chumros, this guy is crazy about possible gebrokhts and this guy spends 3 hours buying an esrog..

But man, infect other people? No big deal!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: September 21, 2020, 11:46:35 PM »
There's a huge gray area here and it's pretty serious to see caution thrown in the wind for the sake of what some people consider critical.

It's just what you build off, we go from covid+ minyan where folks are walking to shul (due to false info, they may not wear a mask)

They may be stopped by a friend to say hi and figure it's outdoors, no big deal..

"But the Rav said it's ok for shmuli to go to shul, I can go see chani, her whole family got it"

Your arguments merely back the concern, humans are weak, someho people keep quoting daas Torah.

Who is daas Torah?!? What happened to everyone's fanatical chumros, this guy is crazy about possible gebrokhts and this guy spends 3 hours buying an esrog..

But man, infect other people? No big deal!
I agree with every word. It is distressing in the extreme.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: September 22, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
If you beleive the rationale for a COVID + minyan is that otherwise people would go to regular minyanim positive, I'd posit that the adherence to Daas Torah is imaginary.

The same rabbonim could have issued a clear Psak that it's Assur to go to shul if you are positive.

If the reasoning is that it's not dangerous to be out an about as they are outside, I'd respectfully ask to see which medical professionals they consulted with, as I can't find any medical dispensation from any medical group saying that that's safe. If there are doctors out there that nobody else knows about, it would be a big service to the Klal to see that, as maybe this idea should take off in other communities.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: September 22, 2020, 09:13:06 AM »

That would require someone to go from place to place to place and blow over and over and over.
The person blowing would stand outside, reasonably distanced from the window of the house. The people who need to hear would open the window and stay inside. You've thereby reduced potential points of exposure to zero.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: September 22, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »

That would require someone to go from place to place to place and blow over and over and over.
This happened in RBS without issue
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3014 on: September 22, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »

You just described something hundreds of people do every year

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3015 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »
You just described something hundreds of people do every year
No, it would require a bunch of people to go to a few places each to blow. If Lubavitchers can walk for miles to blow for tens of thousands every year, I'm pretty sure Lakewood could figure it out.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: September 22, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »

Blowing a shofar isn't particularly hard, just takes a few days of practice. I'd reckon most people just haven't tried to do it themselves; a kosher shofar can be bought for <$100.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3017 on: September 22, 2020, 09:49:53 AM »
Blowing a shofar isn't particularly hard, just takes a few days of practice. I'd reckon most people just haven't tried to do it themselves; a kosher shofar can be bought for <$100.

<$10

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: September 22, 2020, 10:56:22 AM »

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: September 23, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »
This would seem to be a reason not to have Covid+ minyanim.

The second time was more serious (12 days later).

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1308883847640219649