Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368445 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #3160 on: March 29, 2021, 10:13:38 PM »
Masks no longer required for those that were vaccinated or had the virus when they're sitting at their place and learning
["-"]

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: March 30, 2021, 12:05:47 AM »
Masks no longer required for those that were vaccinated or had the virus when they're sitting at their place and learning

Until now everyone wore masks?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: March 30, 2021, 12:12:17 AM »
Until now everyone wore masks?
everyone is Still wearing it by davening

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: March 30, 2021, 12:17:54 AM »
everyone is Still wearing it by davening

Very impressive! What area is this in (to the extent you’re comfortable disclosing)?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3164 on: March 30, 2021, 12:41:09 AM »
Very impressive! What area is this in (to the extent you’re comfortable disclosing)?
Stoliner shul
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: May 18, 2021, 11:53:54 PM »
DEAR FAMILY: It’s Time to Come Back to Shul— Time to Come Back Home…

The phone didn’t stop ringing. In the midst of performing CPR on the yeshiva bachur lying motionless on the floor alongside him, the middle-aged Hatzalah member couldn’t help but notice that the boy’s cellphone was ringing incessantly. Attached to the bachur’s belt, the phone kept lighting up and the caller’s name appeared repeatedly on the screen. One word. Over and over again.

“IMMA.”

Upon hearing the news of a devastating tragedy on Har Meron, the boy’s mother wanted nothing more but to know her son’s whereabouts and condition. Is my precious boy still alive?...

With his heart breaking and now more focused than ever, yearning to rescue the breathless boy and return him home to the embrace of his Yiddishe mama, the Hatzalah member’s concentrated efforts finally brought the youth back to life. His resuscitative attempts successful, he then turned to look at the young man’s phone. 49 consecutive calls from “IMMA.”

49 unanswered calls from a loving mother longing to hear the sweet voice of her son, to cradle him once again in her arms and never let go. A devoted Jewish mother pining to reunite with her son, to see him return home safely, and the gates of tears didn’t close…

A true story from a few short weeks ago. And here we are, explains Rav Yitzchak Zilberstein, now closing the 49 days of Sefiras HaOmer, a crucial time period wherein Avinu She’ba’Shamayim, our Father in Heaven, was calling out to us repeatedly, a heavenly voice longing to be heard. On our spiritual direct phone-line to Heaven, for 49 powerful days in a row, our eyes were attuned to the imaginary screen upon which popped the same word, the same caller, day after day: “ABBA.”

So here we are, standing on the threshold of Chag HaShavuos, Z’man Matan Toraseinu, and our Father in Heaven, Tatty in Himmel, is still calling out to us, pleading… “My dear, beloved children, please wake up from your slumber. Please spiritually resuscitate yourselves. And please, I beg of you, come back home where I yearn to greet you…” Our loving Father wants us to return to His Mikdash Mi’at, His ever-welcoming Beis HaK’nesses. He wishes for us all to return, once again, to the warm and inviting home where we truly belong.

All together. For there is nothing that brings a parent greater nachas than to see all of his children returning home as one loving and cohesive filial unit. And what an opportune time it is—right on the heels of parshas Bamidbar—for us all to make that return home, together as one, to Hashem’s Mikdash Mi’at.     

Listen in for a moment to the following fascinating phenomenon: Included in the Encyclopedia Talmudis’s discussion of “haftorah,” is a listing (printed in the back of vol. 10) of all the various haftoros read throughout the year according to the diverse customs prevalent among the many sects within Judaism. A quick perusal yields the following conclusion: There are many weeks when Ashkenazim, Sefardim, Teimanim, etc., might cull from different sections of the Neviim, still others when the discrepancies manifest themselves in a more subtle fashion, in the form, quite often, of different starting and ending points. The common thread, however, is that the haftoros are never exactly the same. Jews the world over never manage to read the same haftorah on any given week.

Except once. There is but one week throughout the course of the year when all sects within Judaism unite to read an identical passage from start to finish. Lo and behold, that week happens to be the week of parshas Bamidbar as all of Klal Yisroel reads exactly the same haftorah extracted from Sefer Hoshea. An interesting phenomenon, yes, but a demonstration nonetheless of how all the various sects amalgamate to reenact—albeit on a far smaller plane—the “va’yichan sham Yisroel” required to approach a Matan Torah.[1] It thus comes as no surprise that, immediately after the haftorah’s opening pasuk regarding the “mispar B’nei Yisroel,” we then read: “The children of Yehuda and the children of Yisroel shall be assembled together, and they shall appoint for themselves a single leader…”

Big things are happening in the world around us. Times are changing rapidly, and the unexpected and unpredictable strikes on an almost daily basis. We certainly all feel that HaKB”H is sending us all recurring wake-up calls to prepare ourselves properly for the final Geulah. Yes, we do firmly believe and reaffirm it every day: Mashiach can come at any time, and we are feeling—perhaps more than ever—that his arrival is imminently approaching. The Beis HaMikdash will soon be rebuilt and Hashem Yisbarach will welcome us back into our real home, once and for all, where we all truly belong.

HIS HOME. The beautiful, fiery and majestic, Bayis Shlishi.

But I humbly ponder and fear: All those who yearn to return to His Mik’dishei Mi’at, to return home to their respective Shuls (as COVID vaccines are widely disseminated and the coronavirus gradually departs), will be warmly welcomed inside the third Beis Mikdash. All those post-vaccination healthy individuals, however, who wish to remain outside as corona wanes, and continue to daven alongside the squirrels and crickets in their “outdoor minyanim,” will indeed find plenty of room to daven, outside the Bayis Shlishi, in a nicely-enlarged Kotel plaza area. But will they be warmly welcomed inside Hashem’s ultimate home if they failed to show HaKB”H how much they truly wished to return inside now to His Mikdash Mi’at?

Certainly something to think about.

My dear family: Let’s all now come back home. Together as one. To ABBA. To the ever-welcoming embrace of our loving Avinu She’ba’Shamayim. Let’s get back to Shul, to davening and singing, learning and shteiging, in His home where He anxiously awaits our presence more than we can ever imagine.

See you all back at home this Shavuos. Plenty of sumptuous cheesecake and delectable blintzes likely await us. Imma might be a really great cook and gives the best of hugs.

But ABBA just wants to see all of us home, in HIS HOME, to savor our sweet collective voices, our “kol kol Yaakov,” calling out for His love in His welcoming Mikdash Mi’at once more…   

With an abundance of love and admiration always,

Rabbi Eytan Feiner       

[1] I came across this last insight in the sefer, Bein Haftorah L’Parsha (R’ Yehuda Sheviv), p. 136.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3166 on: August 11, 2022, 07:28:24 PM »
BREAKING: We no longer need to stay 6 feet apart and get aliyas from our seats in shul ;D

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1557836992607653889
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 11, 2022, 07:54:09 PM »
So over 95% of us got it anyway, either because the CDC recommendations weren’t effective in preventing transmission or because enough of us flouted the rules so that the rules are no longer required. Got it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3168 on: August 11, 2022, 09:38:26 PM »
BREAKING: We no longer need to stay 6 feet apart and get aliyas from our seats in shul ;D
Gotta say, I was surprised they were still doing this in South Africa when we were there in October. I wonder if they still are?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 12, 2022, 06:14:08 AM »
Gotta say, I was surprised they were still doing this in South Africa when we were there in October. I wonder if they still are?
not when I was there in April/May. There were still people masking, but not all. Full kiddush/ seuda.... That was in Sandton

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 15, 2023, 03:35:26 PM »
The rabbonim who have said to listen to the doctors have been very clear as to why they feel that this is the halachically correct approach. I have yet to see a halachic explanation for disregarding a universal medical consensus by sanctioning minyanim for people who should be quarantined or isolated. That's all I'm asking for. Instead of any semblance of an answer, the only responses I'm getting are non-answers about how rabbonim are smarter or Daas Torah must not be questioned or the importance of blindly following leadership. (The irony of being called a sheep is not lost on me.)
For some reason I landed here today.
I just wonder after all the info that was released on the reasons behind the doctors orders, after all media outlets saying the social distancing never helped, after seeing fauci saying himself i think the masks didn't help, Will anyone here have a greater respect to rabonim even if they do not give you an explanation on the spot and you do not understand there approach now?
This is a typical story of אין אדם עומד על דעת רבו עד ארבעים שנה

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 15, 2023, 06:47:19 PM »
I just wonder after all the info that was released on the reasons behind the doctors orders, after all media outlets saying the social distancing never helped, after seeing fauci saying himself i think the masks didn't help, Will anyone here have a greater respect to rabonim even if they do not give you an explanation on the spot and you do not understand there approach now?

Not sure about more trusting Rabbonim now but certainly the medical and scientific society have lost trust majorly, for better or worse. 

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 15, 2023, 06:59:23 PM »
Not sure about more trusting Rabbonim now
Will anyone here have a greater respect to rabonim

certainly the medical and scientific society have lost trust majorly, for better or worse. 
1000%

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 15, 2023, 09:19:49 PM »

Not sure about more trusting Rabbonim now but certainly the medical and scientific society have lost trust majorly, for better or worse.

Why is it that we understand gedorim around ruchniyus, but not around gashmiyus?

Maybe masks and social distancing helped, maybe not. But in spring 2020, was it really a big deal to play it safe?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 15, 2023, 09:47:13 PM »
Why is it that we understand gedorim around ruchniyus, but not around gashmiyus?

Maybe masks and social distancing helped, maybe not. But in spring 2020, was it really a big deal to play it safe?
shutting down schools and shuls was a big deal

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 15, 2023, 09:57:48 PM »
shutting down schools and shuls was a big deal
Hundreds of frum yidden dying were also a big deal. In most places, things eased as the danger waned.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 15, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »
Hundreds of frum yidden dying were also a big deal. In most places, things eased as the danger waned.
I'm not taking sides but don't make  it not a big deal. Of course it was a big deal. If someone did t care much for tefilah betzibur or chinich it wasn't a big deal.
Giving up on things so vital to avodas hashem is definitely a big deal even if warranted

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 15, 2023, 10:06:55 PM »
I'm not taking sides but don't make  it not a big deal. Of course it was a big deal. If someone did t care much for tefilah betzibur or chinich it wasn't a big deal.
Giving up on things so vital to avodas hashem is definitely a big deal even if warranted

By not a big deal, I was referring to masks and distancing, not the closures.

But even for closures, a plague is a plague. When it's a question of human life it's not about whether you're machmir in tefila b'tzbir, but whether you're machmir in sakanas nefoshos.
Luckily, that didn't last long for most people outside of Australia, Baltimore, and Canada. But I had no problem playing it safe and davening in an outdoor minyan in 2020 until it got cold.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 10:43:21 PM by Dan »

Offline HowYaDoin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 15, 2023, 11:39:54 PM »
By not a big deal, I was referring to masks and distancing, not the closures.

But even for closures, a plague is a plague. When it's a question of human life it's not about whether you're machmir in tefila b'tzbir, but whether you're machmir in sakanas nefoshos.
Luckily, that didn't last long for most people outside of Australia, Baltimore, and Canada. But I had no problem playing it safe and davening in an outdoor minyan in 2020 until it got cold.
I can never get enough of a good Baltimore rip. well done!

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 16, 2023, 12:45:01 AM »

My point is that regardless if you obeyed the restrictions religiously or flouted them, at the time they had the respect of most people that it was all about "playing it safe", this is no longer the case. In retrospect people view it today as over the top restrictions without any sensitivity for the obvious side effects and common sense, coupled with politics too. Of course all under the guise of following the science while not admitting how little they really knew. Our unforgettable Governor-turned-Czar Cuomo's actions will be too good remembered by the next pandemic God forbid.