Author Topic: A Silver Lining to COVID-19  (Read 6500 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
A Silver Lining to COVID-19
« on: March 11, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, and I'm empathetic to the folks on the ground having to take unpaid leave, etc., but after years of devaluations and cutbacks, I'm experiencing tremendous schadenfreude at the airlines' current COVID predicament, particularly Kirby and Co. having to deal with the mess that comes with addressing a 70%+ decline in bookings.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: A Silver Lining to COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:22 AM »
If this goes on for an extended amount of time (6+ months), any chance we might return to the golden age of award travel? Not just while the virus is spreading, but for a couple of years after.
Visibly Jewish

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
they might go bankrupt first and then you lose all your points

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:38 PM »
If this goes on for an extended amount of time (6+ months), any chance we might return to the golden age of award travel? Not just while the virus is spreading, but for a couple of years after.
I doubt it, reality is that the 4 big mergers killed it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
They will get modifications to labor contracts they don't like, government money to stay afloat, and emerge stronger.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline NotMeirKey

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, and I'm empathetic to the folks on the ground having to take unpaid leave, etc., but after years of devaluations and cutbacks, I'm experiencing tremendous schadenfreude at the airlines' current COVID predicament, particularly Kirby and Co. having to deal with the mess that comes with addressing a 70%+ decline in bookings.
::)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »

No chance. First, if China is telling the truth, then the virus can be quelled within 6 weeks. Second, I expect a travel surge once this is over. Airlines will want to recoup their losses.

Online Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 09:58:07 AM »
No chance. First, if China is telling the truth, then the virus can be quelled within 6 weeks. Second, I expect a travel surge once this is over. Airlines will want to recoup their losses.

China took some very extreme measures that are impractical in most civilized countries.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »
China took some very extreme measures that are impractical in most civilized countries.

I wouldn't call sealing people in their homes and carting away others impractical, it's more like tyrannical
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 10:58:54 AM »
China isn’t over yet, it’s declining. And speaking with my factories, they’re all still wearing masks and sanitizing everywhere. Don’t be surprised if China gets a 2nd wave, they’ve already been getting cases imported from Italy and elsewhere.
Visibly Jewish

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:26:07 AM »
China isn’t over yet, it’s declining. And speaking with my factories, they’re all still wearing masks and sanitizing everywhere. Don’t be surprised if China gets a 2nd wave, they’ve already been getting cases imported from Italy and elsewhere.
Never understood how China cut it so dramatically. It wasn't the draconian Wuhan measures, bc it was pretty well spread outside.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »
Never understood how China cut it so dramatically. It wasn't the draconian Wuhan measures, bc it was pretty well spread outside.
They did it by eliminating home isolation. Any symptoms? Go to a fever clinic. Tested by someone in protective gear. Isolated until results come back. If positive, isolation away from all family.
Apparently, they even had people outside buildings taking people's temperature. If you have temperature, no entry
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
They did it by eliminating home isolation. Any symptoms? Go to a fever clinic. Tested by someone in protective gear. Isolated until results come back. If positive, isolation away from all family.
Apparently, they even had people outside buildings taking people's temperature. If you have temperature, no entry

They take (Not took) temperature everywhere. They went home to home testing people inside (not just outside) for fever. They had checkpoints everywhere on the road stopping cars to take temperature. They have every factory testing workers twice a day. And so on. Worth mentioning that fever is by far the most common symptom, seen in up to 98% of symptomatic cases.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
They take (Not took) temperature everywhere. They went home to home testing people inside (not just outside) for fever. They had checkpoints everywhere on the road stopping cars to take temperature. They have every factory testing workers twice a day. And so on. Worth mentioning that fever is by far the most common symptom, seen in up to 98% of symptomatic cases.
Yup. Seems pretty clear the two biggest drivers of their control of the disease have been early identification and effective quarantine. Neither of which is being done anywhere else
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.