Author Topic: What are the best arguments or articles for people who don't care about Covid-19  (Read 3748 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
So many people don't care at all, and don't want to take any measures to help slow downt he spread, what arguments or articles do you send to these people?

There was a good 6 some minute voice note going around.

This title is great and sums it up https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

Most of those people have no considered this:

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

If this was what pushed from the beginning instead of all the hysteria maybe people would've been taking it more seriously. I think all the hype and hysteria just caused most people to tune it all out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:04:57 PM by whYME »

Offline whYME

• View Profile
what arguments or articles do you send to these people?

Madam President?
:P

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
If this was what pushed from the beginning instead of all the hysteria maybe people would've been taking it more seriously. I think all the hype and hysteria just caused most people to tune it all out.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=114650.msg2208058#msg2208058
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline whYME

• View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile

Don’t know when you started following COVID, but I’ve been posting about this for a while without any of the hysteria. My guess is that it’s only the hysteria that got your attention and now you’re seeing what we’ve been discussing for months.
Visibly Jewish

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
Is that supposed to answer me or prove my point?
Prove your point. Spelled out the worst case scenario so clearly and we see it happening in Italy exactly as described. There will be death panels and not because of single payer healthcare... :-[ :-\ :'(
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
This is not about trying to prevent the virus from spreading, it's about slowing it. If patients come in at a pace that our system can handle then the fatality rate remains under 1 percent. It's the reason Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand and hong koing have all stayed out of the news. However if the system get overwhelmed, fatality rate escalates to over 4 percent (Iran and Italy). To illustrate, 20 percent of those that contract the virus need to be hospitalized (presumably the elderly and those with compromised systems). If there is a 1 percent fatality rate that means 1 out of 20 will die (or 5 percent). If the system can't handle the volume, that number grows to more than 1 in 5 ( more than 20 percent!). It doesn't matter if we are all going to get it anyways, it does matter how fast we all get it. All the data is in this article.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Offline RewardsAddict

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
So true. I admit I was one of those who assumed it was all hype, until I read something similar. Plus if people would understand this, they might not panic, and we just might be able to buy some toilet paper again.

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Tell them to watch the clip of Dr Shapiro on Corona

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
this is exactly what the New York times article that I just read said in what I've been thinking from the beginning that the problem is overwhelming the healthcare system.

you look at people going crazy in the stores they are buying out the toilet paper, the water etc

Right now the best thing that everybody can do is try to slow the spread of this virus.

My precautions from day one were not about Hysteria.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

Where is that visual from? I'd like to share in a better way than a screenshot of a screenshot.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
The argument is very simple.

1. While this may not be terribly dangerous for younger people, it is VERY dangerous for older people. It seems the death rate for older people is 20-30%. This is besides those who get very seriously ill.

2. This is quite contagious. Just look at how many people caught it in Westchester from that one lawyer. Younger people who ignore it are very literally KILLING older people. Someone who is careless about spreading is very likely a rodef.

If you think it is the flu because you are young then YOU ARE A SELFISH IDIOT and possibly a murderer.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge

1. While this may not be terribly dangerous for younger people, it is VERY dangerous for older people. It seems the death rate for older people is 20-30%. This is besides those who get very seriously ill.

2. This is quite contagious. Just look at how many people caught it in Westchester from that one lawyer. Younger people who ignore it are very literally KILLING older people. Someone who is careless about spreading is very likely a rodef.

If you think it is the flu because you are young then YOU ARE A SELFISH IDIOT and possibly a murderer.
I would tone it down making the same points.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online aygart

• View Profile
My wife has one grandmother in her late 80s and one in her 90s. I have a few friends and relatives who are in the middle of chemotherapy. I am very scared for them. This was accentuated when I found that someone who should have been quarantining himself after a trip to the EU and having some mild symptoms only told someone who is regularly near one of them after being in the office with them "By the way, I am getting tested since we suspect I may have it".

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

People in our communities seem to be tone deaf. Toning it down will just not get anywhere.

770 posted today that they will be following guidance and restricting attendance to 500. Given how the place is "run" I put 0 confidence into that. I suggested that putting hand sanitizing stations 10 to 15 feet apart might do more, besides for actual hand sanitizing - raising awareness and enhancing preventive habits.
-- Dan

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
My wife has one grandmother in her late 80s and one in her 90s. I have a few friends and relatives who are in the middle of chemotherapy. I am very scared for them. This was accentuated when I found that someone who should have been quarantining himself after a trip to the EU and having some mild symptoms only told someone who is regularly near one of them after being in the office with them "By the way, I am getting tested since we suspect I may have it".
I hear what you are saying. Some will not care no matter how you put it but the ones that do care can be won over.   
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Where is that visual from? I'd like to share in a better way than a screenshot of a screenshot.
@jj1000 or anyone. Please share source.
-- Dan

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
@jj1000 or anyone. Please share source.
Google "flatten the curve" and you'll find many articles about it.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• View Profile
This one. It is both informative and non-alarmist.

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/coronavirus/op-ed-informative-article-giving-perspective-coronavirus/

As a layman, I would add something about this: