Author Topic: Visting Israel During Corona  (Read 985 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Visting Israel During Corona
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
Forgot about that. Excellent point! Thanks

Wow. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Didn't mention it as it sounded so obvious, until you presented your summary and asked if missing anything. I can tell you that while VAT is just a financial PITA, having to maintain an Israeli passport is a MAJOR PITA that cannot be understated. It's like an invisible shackle.

Though in theory an Israeli passport can save the headache and expense of needing a visa to visit Russia (and in the past also Brazil, though IIRC that has changed recently for Americans).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 02:06:24 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Kobe bryent

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »
Wow. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Didn't mention it as it sounded so obvious, until you presented your summary and asked if missing anything. I can tell you that while VAT is just a financial PITA, having to maintain an Israeli passport is a MAJOR PITA that cannot be understated. It's like an invisible shackle.

Though in theory an Israeli passport can save the headache and expense of needing a visa to visit Russia (and in the past also Brazil, though IIRC that has changed recently for Americans).
Correct

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »
Wow. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Didn't mention it as it sounded so obvious, until you presented your summary and asked if missing anything. I can tell you that while VAT is just a financial PITA
Yeah, not sure how I forgot about that, having dealt with it myself
, having to maintain an Israeli passport is a MAJOR PITA that cannot be understated. It's like an invisible shackle.

In laws visit the holy land multiple times a year and will likely make aliyah in the next 10 years anyways, so I don't think this will be a major issue (especially since IME renewing a passport takes like 15 minutes at misrad hapnim (with an appointment)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »
In laws visit the holy land multiple times a year and will likely make aliyah in the next 10 years anyways, so I don't think this will be a major issue (especially since IME renewing a passport takes like 15 minutes at misrad hapnim (with an appointment)
But when you don't live there and then need to go on short notice, only to discover that it expired... Not to mention the need to carry 2x passports when you travel.
-- Dan

Offline Kobe bryent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
But when you don't live there and then need to go on short notice, only to discover that it expired... Not to mention the need to carry 2x passports when you travel.
I don't see the benefit of having an IL passport, only downsides. (Other than the current circumstances)

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »
I don't see the benefit of having an IL passport, only downsides. (Other than the current circumstances)
+1

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
Also, making "Aliya" doesn't necessitate getting an Israeli passport. I know people that have have lived there for decades and never became Israeli citizens or carry Israeli passports. (Though their parents might have come to the US on Palestinian passports in the 1930s.)
-- Dan

Offline Kobe bryent

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »
Also, making "Aliya" doesn't necessitate getting an Israeli passport. I know people that have have lived there for decades and never became Israeli citizens or carry Israeli passports. (Though their parents might have come to the US on Palestinian passports in the 1930s.)
True. It is just a bit more difficult, as one has to have a valid Visa.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 10:55:50 AM »
True. It is just a bit more difficult, as one has to have a valid Visa.
One can live in Israel as a resident alien (whatever they call it there, a status similar to having a Green Card in the US). Not difficult at all. Only differences are that one can't vote and can't get an Israeli passport.
-- Dan

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »
Isn't there a double taxation issue too? I.e. one needs to report to Israeli tax authorities its foreign income?

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »
One can live in Israel as a resident alien (whatever they call it there, a status similar to having a Green Card in the US). Not difficult at all. Only differences are that one can't vote and can't get an Israeli passport.
OP question was making Aliyah to circumvent the ban of foreigners into Israel. So even though this is true it won't help him enter the country.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
Isn't there a double taxation issue too? I.e. one needs to report to Israeli tax authorities its foreign income?
No, US is the only (?) country in the world that taxes based on citizenship and not residency
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
The term Aliyah generally means becoming a citizen, not moving to Israel
You need to pay & report to the Israeli tax authorities if you are a resident of Israel regardless of Citizenship. On the contrary, becoming an Israeli resident (e.g. via Aliya) offers the significant tax incentive of no Israeli tax on foreign earned income for the first 10 years, and not even a need to declare but this wouldn't reduce the US tax burden applicable to US source income or US citizens.
Purpose > Pleasure