Topic Wiki

ExGingi: Good morning Dan, how's you day going?

Dan: It's going well, thanks for asking.

ExGingi: Wrong. Bh you woke up, thanks to Hashem as explained in modeh ani and even more in depth in inyanei shel toras hachasidus. If you would understand that sicha properly you would know that one doesn't simply wake up, it's not us who wake up, but rather thanks to the brachas of the rebbe and Hashem's help we wake up.
« Last edited by jj1000 on April 20, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Author Topic: Shlichus Addiction?  (Read 91409 times)

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Shlichus Addiction?
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
Why are they soliciting business in Crown Heights? Who is their target audience?
I don't think they even know.

CH'ers A) don't want mixed schools and B) aren't interested in paying $21k (before discounts) for preschool.

The people that are fine with mixed schools and that tuition level, don't want the school overridden with "frummies".

They had another "open house in someones house" in CH  a month ago. From what I heard barely a handful of people showed up.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »
My guess is their target audience in CH are those who would send their kids to Luria.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »
In response (echo) to the three posters before?

Is it purely a money move (i.e. they need more kids who will pay $21k tuition)? Are they trying to cater to the Chabad-light community (for lack of a better term)?

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Do they not label their ads?

The forex advertorial was not labeled.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
I don't think they even know.

CH'ers A) don't want mixed schools and B) aren't interested in paying $21k (before discounts) for preschool.

The people that are fine with mixed schools and that tuition level, don't want the school overridden with "frummies".

They had another "open house in someones house" in CH  a month ago. From what I heard barely a handful of people showed up.

So many assumptions, I don't even know where to start. So let's start by asking some questions:
  • Are CH'ers "frummies"?
  • Do you really think any "frummies" would even give such a school any consideration, let alone enroll in such a school? When people are on Shlichus, they might be "frummies" (or beyond) and even run such a school and send their own kids there. But in Brooklyn?
  • If they manage to get even one "Frayak" living in CH to pay that kind of tuition, the open house paid for itself in two ways: a. tuition received, and more importantly b. being able to do shlichus work with that family!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
I just read the wiki and wonder if the overall Chabad idea is that you wake up in the morning due to the Rebbes Bracha or if that was some kind of joke

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
I just read the wiki and wonder if the overall Chabad idea is that you wake up in the morning due to the Rebbes Bracha or if that was some kind of joke
Why don't you ask whoever wrote that.

I would also ask whoever wrote that, if he really thinks that @Dan wouldn't start his response with Boruch Hashem.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
It was a joke about an extreme look at some of our more extreme Chabad members that would hate the label "extreme" and "Chabad."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »
It was a joke about an extreme look at some of our more extreme Chabad members that would hate the label "extreme" and "Chabad."
Thanks for the clarification

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
It's due to G-d that we wake up. It's due to the Rebbe that it's worth it.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2017, 07:16:20 PM »
Tell that to all the Chabadnicks davening to the Rebbe.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
I don't think that I'd have a 3.98 mba gpa without having gone to pit, but who knows.

I am quite confident that you would have done very well with or without going to PIT (side note: I heard in the name of the founder of PIT - would have and should have is apikorsus). And if you would have had 3.97, or 3.89, or any other mark, do you really think it could have made a difference?

Your kids are still young, so you might have not been exposed to this, but I think there's an important message about trusting Hashem embedded in that movie (2:40 in the trailer), however there are countless letters, sichos, etc. regarding בטחון and where one's פרנסה comes from. Not the least of which is a directive the Rebbe has given many, which is to learn (or read) שער הבטחון. I would suggest that it should be a prerequisite to positing on this subject.

As for חינוך על טהרת הקודש and excluding secular studies, IMHO those are actually two separate (if somewhat peripherally connected) issue.

I would suggest that חינוך על טהרת הקודש is more of an overall approach and attitude, that permeates everything. To put it the way I suggested to several principles in Crown Heights years ago: The Rebbe suggested that public schools should begin with a moment of silence, why shouldn't our schools begin with the same (though since we aren't restricted by US law, it doesn't need to be silent). To put this in other words, I suggest that חינוך על טהרת הקודש starts with the goal in mind, of imbuing the students with an acknowledgement (at the very least) of דעת עליון that אלקות בפשיטות ועולמות בהתחדשות! As long as everything is permeated with such an attitude, learning math and science (from an appropriate curriculum) could be (and is IMHO) על טהרת הקודש! (my SIL actually created a math curriculum על טהרת הקודש that goes up to sixth grade, it is used by some schools and is available in Hebrew and in Yiddish).

I think that avoiding secular studies (assuming that they are kosher) is a separate issue. To understand the Rebbe's perspective on this, I think we should look no further than the Rebbe's directives regarding preparing a bar-mitzvah boy for layning. As far as I understand the Rebbe's position on this, the Rebbe considers this a waste of precious time, that should rather be spent on learning more important things. IINM the Rebbe expects that by the time a child turns Bar-Mitzva, the child should know the entire Kitzur Shulchan Oruch (except for halochos that aren't relevant to unmarried people). There are only that many hours a child spends in school, the time needs to be allocated by priorities, and secular studies cannot take priority over what's really important.

As for the language, I think it is also quite clear that the Rebbe expects kids to be taught in their own language. However, what should one do when the kids have no language (as is sometimes said, that CH kids are illiterate in 3 languages)? I think that problem stems from lack of consistency. If kids were taught in one language from an early age, they would have no problem learning in that language. The problem is that they are taught in a mixture of languages, and often by teachers lacking language skills. How should language skill be acquired? I think the answer to that lies starting here (read the entire thing, it's less than 4 pages long).
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »
Tell that to all the Chabadnicks davening to the Rebbe.
Sure thing. I'll do it at the next meeting.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
  • If they manage to get even one "Frayak" living in CH to pay that kind of tuition, the open house paid for itself in two ways: a. tuition received, and more importantly b. being able to do shlichus work with that family!

They have enough people to keep them busy in Brooklyn Heights if that's their agenda...

G-d himself isn't good enough a reason?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
It was a joke about an extreme look at some of our more extreme Chabad members that would hate the   labels   "extreme" and "Chabad."
FTFY
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2017, 07:20:27 PM »
They have enough people to keep them busy in Brooklyn Heights if that's their agenda...
למה נגרע?

ETA: in the spirit of upcoming פסח שני.  :)
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
למה נגרע?

Of what? The farm is already budding with mushrooms...

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »
Of what? The farm is already budding with mushrooms...
Mostly doing great job. Shluchim go to towns where they touch a few dozen yidden. There's plenty of work to be done everywhere. Anyone who can have a positive influence on another yid, is doing what the Rebbe wants.
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
Mostly doing great job. Shluchim go to towns where they touch a few dozen yidden. There's plenty of work to be done everywhere. Anyone who can have a positive influence on another yid, is doing what the Rebbe wants.

And that is what's bringing the Raskins to CH? Somehow I doubt it...

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
And that is what's bringing the Raskins to CH? Somehow I doubt it...
He ain't no mushroom.  ;)
-- Dan