Author Topic: How should schools and parents deal with tuition?  (Read 77058 times)

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: How should schools and parents deal with tuition?
« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Personally I'm able have my son sit nearby and do his videos/zooms with minimal intervention. But if a parent has a situation like that - either because the kid needs too much oversight, or their WAH situation(s) don't allow for it - then they're stuck regardless. What should they the school do? It doesn't really help if the school allows the parent to pull the kid out and give a refund - the parent will still be stuck.

Agreed, the parent is stuck regardless. But it's pouring salt into the wound for the school to bombard us with emails that say we're still taking your money even though you're no longer able to work because the childcare plans (them) fell through. It's not decent.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
Agreed, the parent is stuck regardless. But it's pouring salt into the wound for the school to bombard us with emails that say we're still taking your money even though you're no longer able to work because the childcare plans (them) fell through. It's not decent.
Unemployment?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »
many (most?) parents are working from home or on a modified schedule. They can pop in to check on the kid or trouble shoot a technical issue. If the Morah is adapting well to online classes, she'll keep most of the kids focused. Hardly worth nothing. I'd say most parents who are home value the classes if they are done correctly.
Again, not ideal, but neither is COVID19.

Obvious disclaimer: I'm biased... Doesn't need to be said but I'm sure someone's about to start shouting that I'm biased.

Even if you're biased you should be able to understand another point of view. My pesach program got cancelled but instead of refunding me they sent me a few boxes of matza while telling me that the rabbonim endorse their approach because the caterers still need to be paid.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
Even if you're biased you should be able to understand another point of view. My pesach program got cancelled but instead of refunding me they sent me a few boxes of matza while telling me that the rabbonim endorse their approach because the caterers still need to be paid.
;D
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
I understand. I also know that some parents stopped paying cold turkey despite numerous attempts to reach out and discuss what works for them.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
I understand. I also know that some parents stopped paying cold turkey despite numerous attempts to reach out and discuss what works for them.

Sounds like the "Its a halacha question and don't do anything unilaterally" was only meant in one direction.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 05, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »
Just got this text from my daughter's high school. (she has so many conferences at all hours that my wife sometimes wishes she had less.)
Please be advised that __________ will not be charging lunch fees for the months of April, May and June. A credit will be applied to your account to reflect this amount. Any future credit card payments will be adjusted accordingly. If you have any questions please contact the business office.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 05, 2020, 06:05:42 PM »
All accredited (higher ed) yeshivos just got a $500,000 lump sum grant from the CARES act, even the tiny ones with 20 or 30 guys total. The $500,000 is total so any yeshiva that got under $500,000 in the first round of CARES funding now got enough to top them out at $500,000.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/wesleywhistle/2020/05/02/betsy-devos-sends-coronavirus-money-to-help-tiny-colleges-did-they-need-it/amp/
I complained previously that i was in a category of people that simply got nothing from all this, besides the future consequences. but because of this I may IY"H walk out with more than most people. If the yeshiva has to give more than 50 percent to the student and there are only around 50 qualifying students in the program, I one of them, math says I will be getting a significant amount of "aid".
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »
If the yeshiva has to give more than 50 percent to the student
good luck with that

see: pell grant
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:00:14 PM by gozalim »

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 05, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
good luck with that

see: pell grant
Not sure what you are trying to point out. Atleast half the money is to be distributed by the college at it's own discretion, to full time, american citizen students, who are acquiring a bachelor's degree, but I dont believe it has to be students already getting a pell grant.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2020, 07:20:01 PM »
I complained previously that i was in a category of people that simply got nothing from all this, besides the future consequences. but because of this I may IY"H walk out with more than most people. If the yeshiva has to give more than 50 percent to the student and there are only around 50 qualifying students in the program, I one of them, math says I will be getting a significant amount of "aid".
The 500k is funds that go 100% to the institutions

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2020, 07:33:22 PM »
Sounds like the "Its a halacha question and don't do anything unilaterally" was only meant in one direction.
ummmmm.......
ever heard of the concept of muchzak?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
ummmmm.......
ever heard of the concept of muchzak?
Seems that you don't understand it.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
The 500k is funds that go 100% to the institutions
Hmmm, I read it as the 500k is a top off to the original hand out, which even thou was given to the institution, the institution was required to give at least half directly for student use.
And re the pell grant mentioned before, it seems like the amount given was based on pell and non pell students (75/25) but the top off is regardless as long as under 500k it is topped of to that amount.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2020, 10:08:45 PM »
Hmmm, I read it as the 500k is a top off to the original hand out, which even thou was given to the institution, the institution was required to give at least half directly for student use.
And re the pell grant mentioned before, it seems like the amount given was based on pell and non pell students (75/25) but the top off is regardless as long as under 500k it is topped of to that amount.

Nope, these particular funds can be used for salaries and other purposes. There is no requirement that they be disbursed to students.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2020, 10:39:16 PM »
Nope, these particular funds can be used for salaries and other purposes. There is no requirement that they be disbursed to students.
Do you have a link for the rules of this grant?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »
My guess is that schools are still offering services, often which are harder to prepare than regular classes, and they expect full tuition. Here is a quote from yesterday on Hefkervelt:
From a Lakewood  yeshiva on paying tuition: "The bulk of the Yeshiva budget is the salaries of Rebbeim, Teachers and Faculty. Our primary savings these past weeks has been on utilities and cleaning costs which make up for approximately 4% of our annual budget. To put this in perspective, since Yeshiva closed we saw a reduction of $60,000 of expenses out of our $11.6 budget. To contrast this with our income, In April alone we saw a reduction of $300,000 out of our projected April income. Needless to say, it is only you who can help us keep Yeshiva afloat. We will not be charging lunch fees for April-June and in the event you were charged, they will be credited to your account."
If you want to respond to this, I would suggest you do it on the designated thread though...
This seems very in line with what I have been saying the entire time. It was SO obvious.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
If you want to respond to this, I would suggest you do it on the designated thread though...
This seems very in line with what I have been saying the entire time. It was SO obvious.

Why is there no mention of the government assistance that they are receiving meant to supplement/replace lost revenue?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
Why is there no mention of the government assistance that they are receiving meant to supplement/replace lost revenue?
Will they? If and when they do will it come anywhere close to replacing the lost revenue? Was that included already in the calculation (if yes it should have been communicated)?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
Will they? If and when they do will it come anywhere close to replacing the lost revenue? Was that included already in the calculation (if yes it should have been communicated)?
Yes, PPP will cover this; and no school (to my knowledge) has communicated this to their student families. Heard from one executive director that he plans to use PPP in lieu of fundraising they would usually do for scholarship (which seems wrong to me - PPP is meant to supplement payroll, not to be used as a new source of revenue.)