Author Topic: How should schools and parents deal with tuition?  (Read 76993 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: How should schools and parents deal with tuition?
« Reply #460 on: April 27, 2023, 02:48:09 PM »
Here is 400% FPL, I have a hard time believing many families just over these limits are paying full tuition for all their children. Anyone with more than 3 children making this income is going to have a very difficult time paying $15k per child.

Family size           2022          2023 income numbers
For individuals      $54,360      $58,320
For a family of 2   $73,240      $78,880
For a family of 3   $92,120      $99,440
For a family of 4   $111,000    $120,000
For a family of 5   $129,880    $140,560
For a family of 6   $148,760    $161,120
For a family of 7   $167,640    $181,680
For a family of 8   $186,520    $202,240
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:31:58 PM by avromie7 »
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 27, 2023, 04:14:40 PM »

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #462 on: April 28, 2023, 01:26:24 PM »

Super important note about Step Up: once a family qualifies, they are in the program for good. So if I have one kid and I'm making under the limit, my future kids are all eligible, regardless of my income.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 01, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
I wrote a short post on the Florida universal school choice bill that passed in March, which provides ~8k per private school student (link in signature below).
After reading through some relevant parts of the bill and speaking to Floridians, as well as to some Ohio (which has some vouchers) and Arizona (which has universal school choice) residents, I must say that it looks much better on paper than in reality, and will benefit schools more than students. We can expect to see an increase in private school tuition next year, and while it probably won't go up to by $8k/student, it will largely cut into this benefit (not to mention that lower income households in FL have already had access to vouchers for the past few years, so this doesn't make much a difference to them, and they'll be hit with the tuition increase as well).
And so the cookie crumbles... hearing that some FL schools raised tuition for all students by 20% (from 15k to 18k), including for those that previously received the 8k vouchers.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #464 on: June 04, 2023, 11:15:30 PM »
And so the cookie crumbles... hearing that some FL schools raised tuition for all students by 20% (from 15k to 18k), including for those that previously received the 8k vouchers.

Absolutely shocking. And now you also have teachers quitting en masse because some of those same schools are offering 2% raises, while other schools are throwing their newfound cash at teachers with unprecedented starting salaries*.

Funny how when one political party threw "free" money around and damaged the integrity of the markets, people were quick to point out how shortsighted it was. When we think we may benefit, though... it's a boon!

*teachers' salaries being raised is the one good thing to come out of this. I just wish it wouldn't happen in a way that causes so much volatility and instability within the system.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 05, 2023, 03:53:29 PM »
Absolutely shocking. And now you also have teachers quitting en masse because some of those same schools are offering 2% raises, while other schools are throwing their newfound cash at teachers with unprecedented starting salaries*.

Funny how when one political party threw "free" money around and damaged the integrity of the markets, people were quick to point out how shortsighted it was. When we think we may benefit, though... it's a boon!

*teachers' salaries being raised is the one good thing to come out of this. I just wish it wouldn't happen in a way that causes so much volatility and instability within the system.
This is not the right thread for this, but the fact that this money just makes us even with those who send their kids to PS makes it a terrible analogy.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 05, 2023, 08:43:21 PM »
This is not the right thread for this, but the fact that this money just makes us even with those who send their kids to PS makes it a terrible analogy.

What does one thing have to do with another? We're so stuck on inequities that we don't even pay attention to whether getting even helps us at all. Sounds like another group or two in this country...

Let's say the average school has 500 kids. About 80% were already enrolled in Step Up or Gardiner. The bill passes, and now tuition goes up 3k. The 80% can't afford that additional $3k any more than they could afford the 7k they were on the hook for before, which is why most were on some kind of scholarship. Now the school has requests for another $1.2mm in scholarship funds, cries to their donors and the general community to help cover this newfound shortfall. But we're even now! Victory!

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 05, 2023, 08:53:05 PM »
What does one thing have to do with another? We're so stuck on inequities that we don't even pay attention to whether getting even helps us at all. Sounds like another group or two in this country...

Let's say the average school has 500 kids. About 80% were already enrolled in Step Up or Gardiner. The bill passes, and now tuition goes up 3k. The 80% can't afford that additional $3k any more than they could afford the 7k they were on the hook for before, which is why most were on some kind of scholarship. Now the school has requests for another $1.2mm in scholarship funds, cries to their donors and the general community to help cover this newfound shortfall. But we're even now! Victory!
Is the 20% suddenly eligible for the vouchers the reason they increased tuition?

Are they giving an extra $3k off to anyone who asks, or someone who didn't need vouchers before will have to beg for it and show tax returns?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 05, 2023, 09:05:05 PM »
Is the 20% suddenly eligible for the vouchers the reason they increased tuition?

I'm not in a position to answer that definitively.

Are they giving an extra $3k off to anyone who asks, or someone who didn't need vouchers before will have to beg for it and show tax returns?

I have yet to hear of anyone who was given an extra scholarship for the difference by just asking.