Author Topic: How many hours of 'remote' school do your kids have?  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
Re: How many hours of 'remote' school do your kids have?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 01:51:10 AM »
Not necessarily sad. I have your email so I’ll forward you something I got, tell me what you think.

I disagree with it but it gives points to ponder.
Thank you. I think that with this new device the cons of zoom are very minimal

Offline DarcheiParent

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 02:05:15 AM »
Schools have to be realistic. If almost  no one on your school has internet, I understand not having online classes.
I know of several schools which most of the parent body have internet, and refuse to have video classes with a call in option since it's "kashering" the internet. What do they think the kids are doing all day instead???
It's funny because Darchei has been shying away from internet based classes for the last month because

1) 'Their parent body doesn't have internet'  ::) 
2) Endorsing internet use is against their hashkafa

I'm happy they realized that #1 is not correct and that #2 can be done in a 'kosher' way'

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 02:11:21 AM »
I see you are from Queens, would you mind posting what Yeshiva and/or the letter they sent? Curious how schools are reacting. Also girls’ schools.
YKQ. I have all boys, so I can't comment on the girls schools. This is part of the email:

The decision to transition to video conferencing was discussed with the Yeshiva’s Posek who felt it was a  הוראת שעה,  a temporary measure, to help our talmidim be more engaged in their learning and to learn at a higher level.  We have taken security and safety measures to help ensure our talmidim’s safety when they are using video conferencing.  We are asking parents, our partners, to ensure that our most precious commodity, your children, are safe and please make sure any device that is being used for video conferencing is filtered and blocked for their protection.

My 1st and 3rd graders each have three 45 minute periods with two 15 minute 'recesses' in between. So far I've only heard from the 3rd grader's teacher that she's doing zoom in the afternoons, but hopefully the 1st grader's will as well.

My 4 yo is supposedly starting zoom as well. Till now they've been sending whatsapp videos once or twice a day for the kids to watch.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 02:14:08 AM »
And here all my daughter has is a four minute (almost) daily recording from her teacher.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 02:15:16 AM »
And here all my daughter has is a four minute (almost) daily recording from her teacher.
This is why I’m not so sure Lakewood won’t be adopting this
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 02:17:00 AM »
This is why I’m not so sure Lakewood won’t be adopting this
Cuz we are frummer than thou

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 03:44:25 AM »
My daughters school will have a full day of teleconferencing even for pre school. In my opinion completely kosher tablets are not a problem by itself, it’s only a problem as someone else might be matir different kinds of internet connectivity. I’m wondering how far we have to go with the internet issur in challenging times.
 klal yisoel is going through a decades long process of recognizing the internet as a tool that has to be used properly, and not as something that is assur completely.The way it’s going,  In ten years from now probably every school would have internet classes in such situations, so how about we speed up the process.
There is a lot of cowardice involved here, and laziness to deal with the angry teachers and parents that would refuse internet in any way. Schools that only use phone classes should provide their reasonings  clearly, and not use phrases like internet isn’t our hashkafa.
Overall these phone conferences will be a disaster for the younger kids and combined with schools charging tuition things can get ugly quickly.
My opionion would be that younger than 8 there should be kosher video classes and older than that phone classes only.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
My daughters school will have a full day of teleconferencing even for pre school. In my opinion completely kosher tablets are not a problem by itself, it’s only a problem as someone else might be matir different kinds of internet connectivity. I’m wondering how far we have to go with the internet issur in challenging times.
 klal yisoel is going through a decades long process of recognizing the internet as a tool that has to be used properly, and not as something that is assur completely.The way it’s going,  In ten years from now probably every school would have internet classes in such situations, so how about we speed up the process.
There is a lot of cowardice involved here, and laziness to deal with the angry teachers and parents that would refuse internet in any way. Schools that only use phone classes should provide their reasonings  clearly, and not use phrases like internet isn’t our hashkafa.
Overall these phone conferences will be a disaster for the younger kids and combined with schools charging tuition things can get ugly quickly.
My opionion would be that younger than 8 there should be kosher video classes and older than that phone classes only.
One major point Klal Yisroel has been making is that it is far too dangerous to be in the hands of children, and it’s fire. There is very good rationale to back that up so it’s not necessarily a terrible decision to stay away from it in these times as well if possible

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
One major point Klal Yisroel has been making is that it is far too dangerous to be in the hands of children, and it’s fire. There is very good rationale to back that up so it’s not necessarily a terrible decision to stay away from it in these times as well if possible

Your analogy is correct, we all have fire at home, and make sure to keep its dangers away from children. Point being we have to be very smart about it, but just saying stay away isn’t necessarily the only option.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
I allow my children to cook (with fire) with the proper precautions/supervision.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
Schools have to be realistic. If almost  no one on your school has internet, I understand not having online classes.
I know of several schools which most of the parent body have internet, and refuse to have video classes with a call in option since it's "kashering" the internet. What do they think the kids are doing all day instead???

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2020, 11:27:08 AM »
Letter from Hebrew Acedemy of CLE. Looks like they realized that call-in alone isn't working.

Dear Parents,

First and foremost, I hope that this letter finds you and your families in good health and that your Pesach went well. No one could have predicted how the coronavirus has transformed our lives. We hope and daven that the pandemic passes soon and that all those who are sick merit a speedy recovery.

Thank you for your remarkable efforts before Yom Tov, and our heartfelt appreciation to our dedicated staff who worked tirelessly to provide so many impressive opportunities for continuous learning. Entering into this chapter, the world assumed that the mandated school closures would last for a few weeks. The parental feedback to our immediate response with calling in schedules was overwhelmingly positive. Still, some parents felt that we should move towards a video platform.

When it became clear that the mandated school closures will be extended after Pesach, our leadership brainstormed for ways to better engage the students in more vibrant, meaningful learning.

Assuming that the mandated closure will extend past May 1, the current call in schedule of learning will continue for the next week. With the guidance of daas Torah, our school will then transition to video classes. (Families who choose to call in by telephone may continue to do so.) The Academy has partnered with Kphone, a company endorsed by Torah Umesorah, which has developed software for kosher zoom videoconference. Through Kphone, only meetings created by the school can be
accessed by students.

Parents can choose from the following 3 options:

1) Kphone (at https://kphone.org/corona/ ) offers kosher zoom only tablets at $150 per tablet. They will program only our
school's zoom classes on their tablets and deliver it to you.

2) Reserve a Hebrew Academy Chromebook on our school's website (at https://www.hac1.org/apps/form/chromebooks).
Chromebooks will have the kosher zoom app and will only work for the Academy's zoom classes. It will be available for students in kindergarten and above, with a maximum of 3 per family while supply lasts, with a replacement fee of $150 only in the event that it is damaged and/or not returned.

3) If you choose to use your family's device, we plead with you, for the sake of your family and ours, to be sure that TAG is contacted and/or filters and vigilance are present at all times. We do not recommend this option as the Academy discourages
internet for children.

We are living in unprecedented times but our goal remains the same. We continue to be committed to educating, engaging, and connecting with our students in the best possible way. We will continue to monitor the evolving developments and will address needs accordingly.

In the meantime, please know that our thoughts and tefilos are with all our Academy families. May we merit bracha v'hatzlacha, yeshuos, refuos and nechamos for us and for all of Klal Yisrael!

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Shabbos,

Rabbi Simcha Dessler
Menahel / Educational Director
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
So this kphone is a nice idea, but $150 'retail' is steep, and many people already have as many devices as the need, but not the ability to lock them down to the extent that only zoom is accessible. Does anyone know of a way to do that, either for free or with paid apps/software?

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »
Wondering if as time goes on more and more schools will adopt this position.

Question is, schools are not exactly a business providing a service, when it comes to financial issues schools usually act like they are our partners doing our job. Therefore Let the vaad of the schools explain their positions and make a phone conference to discuss it and not act like dictators. If 90% of the parent body approve  video classes shouldn’t they trump the rest?

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 11:39:24 AM »
So this kphone is a nice idea, but $150 'retail' is steep, and many people already have as many devices as the need, but not the ability to lock them down to the extent that only zoom is accessible. Does anyone know of a way to do that, either for free or with paid apps/software?

Tag can probably help you with that

Offline fineguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »
Where can one purchase tablets that are strictly for zoom?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Where can one purchase tablets that are strictly for zoom?
kphone.org, though your school might need to be signed up with them first, I’m not sure.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
A $50 tablet for $150
Smh
They have a whole lot of schools signed up already, they'll be making a killing.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
A $50 tablet for $150
Smh
They have a whole lot of schools signed up already, they'll be making a killing.
$30 on black Friday