Author Topic: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?  (Read 218093 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?
« Reply #1180 on: June 19, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »
jpost.com/health-science/hadassah-doctors-crack-the-cause-of-fatal-corona-blood-clots-631681

Can’t tell if this is good news or typical Israeli optimism.

https://www.israel21c.org/hadassah-researchers-find-source-of-corona-blood-clots/?fbclid=IwAR211rK0GsqMHtPWEOCe95v-tRVsXpZp55z6bSlDp3FbvSgcKgvurtc_HIs

I guess we need to wait for @biobook but my understanding is blood clotting in Covid was well documented, and these guys already associated Alpha-defensin to blood clotting in 2019, and now confirmed it is a factor in Covid related blood clotting as well.

Regardless they are very far from any method to reduce Alpha-defensin, and it is not established that Covid related blood clotting is a significant cause of deaths or other major impacts.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 19, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Inflammation is one way the immune system fights infections, and it includes production of a clot-like structure that surrounds and walls off an invading bacteria.  Alpha-defensin was known to stimulate this process, and last year the Hadassah researchers found that alpha-defensin can also stimulate clotting of the blood, so it was an interesting connection between the immune system and cardiovascular system.

Blood clotting had been reported as a serious complication of covid (see A mysterious blood-clotting complication is killing coronavirus patients) and the usual anticoagulants weren’t dissolving them.  Those anticoagulants were based on the pathway used in normal blood clotting, as would occur if you scrape your knee or bleed when brushing your teeth.  A small clot forms along the inner wall of the blood vessel, sealing it as the body repairs the tear, and then the clot dissolves.

The Hadassah researchers are suggesting that the failure of those anticoagulants to work was because they were targeting a different pathway, and that blocking this alpha-defensin pathway might be more effective.

So on the one hand, yes, it does sound like it could be an important new treatment.  On the other hand, yes, it’s typical of institutions in Israel – and everywhere – to publicize things like this to burnish their reputation, even – as in this case – before the results are in.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1182 on: June 19, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
So on the one hand, yes, it does sound like it could be an important new treatment.  On the other hand, yes, it’s typical of institutions in Israel – and everywhere – to publicize things like this to burnish their reputation, even – as in this case – before the results are in.
I'm always seeing Israeli media write about stuff that's been innovated there and then not seeing a follow up. Is that the reason why?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 19, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
I'm always seeing Israeli media write about stuff that's been innovated there and then not seeing a follow up. Is that the reason why?
They use the media as their personal propaganda machine to raise investment funding. :)

Source: Just an observation.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 19, 2020, 03:29:11 PM »
They use the media as their personal propaganda machine to raise investment funding. :)

Source: Just an observation.
I would concur so guess it peer reviewed....
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 19, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »
I think so, though my source is the same as yelped's. 
Most research institutions and universities have a PR department to let the world know the great things going on there.   Helps attract new employees to join them, or students to study there.
In the case of innovations/ inventions, they might also hope to attract investors or collaborators.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1187 on: June 21, 2020, 04:33:25 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1188 on: June 21, 2020, 04:34:14 PM »
https://nypost.com/2020/06/21/coronavirus-is-weakening-could-disappear-on-its-own-italian-doctor/
Imyh
Halevai. This was reported weeks ago. Interesting that he attributed the weakening to social distancing (and therefore lower viral load)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 21, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »
Halevai. This was reported weeks ago. Interesting that he attributed the weakening to social distancing (and therefore lower viral load)
I think last time they said its just getting weaker, now they're saying might die out altogether on its own.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Visibly Jewish

Online Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 21, 2020, 06:31:34 PM »
Sounds good, except we know that viruses do better in the winter and worse in the summer.
Lol, you really can’t accept good news can you?

The virus doing better in the winter is due to droplets staying in the air longer. Nothing to do with the actual virus itself.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1192 on: June 21, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
Lol, you really can’t accept good news can you?

The virus doing better in the winter is due to droplets staying in the air longer. Nothing to do with the actual virus itself.
Doesn’t the doctor mention that it’s likely weakening precisely because viral dose is lessening (due to social distancing)? That can be attributable to summer as well.

Online Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 21, 2020, 06:46:24 PM »
Doesn’t the doctor mention that it’s likely weakening precisely because viral dose is lessening (due to social distancing)? That can be attributable to summer as well.
But that’s not what he said. If it had anything to do with summer wouldn’t he have mentioned it?

If you don’t want to believe him then fine, but don’t try and twist his words into something he didn’t say because it makes you feel better about your already very much rock solid opinions on the matter.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1194 on: June 21, 2020, 06:49:12 PM »
But that’s not what he said. If it had anything to do with summer wouldn’t he have mentioned it?

If you don’t want to believe him then fine, but don’t try and twist his words into something he didn’t say because it makes you feel better about your already very much rock solid opinions on the matter.
I didn’t say I don’t believe him and I don’t have rock solid opinions on anything. What does that even mean?

You suggested that summer wouldn’t have an effect on the strength of the virus, only on its spread. Based on what this very same doctor said that appears to be untrue.

Online Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 21, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »
I didn’t say I don’t believe him and I don’t have rock solid opinions on anything. What does that even mean?

You suggested that summer wouldn’t have an effect on the strength of the virus, only on its spread. Based on what this very same doctor said that appears to be untrue.
Was referring to the person I originally replied too.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 22, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
A small Chinese study is now claiming some asymptomatic carriers (diagnosed by PCR & monitored in isolation), lost antibodies entirely, suggesting seroprevalence studies are undercounting the total infection rate

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6#Sec9

40.0% (12/30) of asymptomatic individuals, but only 12.9% (4/31) of symptomatic individuals, became seronegative for IgG

Also interesting that nearly all asymptomatic carriers had lung & other clinical manifestations
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1198 on: June 23, 2020, 12:54:25 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/dr-anthony-fauci-says-covd-154423503.html
He’s been saying this for a while, and I’ve offered to bet money on it. Shockingly I’ve received no takers.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 23, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
He’s been saying this for a while, and I’ve offered to bet money on it. Shockingly I’ve received no takers.
For, or against?