Author Topic: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?  (Read 223447 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?
« Reply #1200 on: June 23, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »
For, or against?

In response to people making claims that the Dem governments want to keep everyone locked down for 18 months. @S209 has been correctly arguing that no one has claimed to want to do that, and that by all estimations a vaccine would be ready by early 2021 at the latest.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1201 on: June 23, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
For, or against?
I am willing to bet that there will be a mass produced vaccine by the end of January 2021
In response to people making claims that the Dem governments want to keep everyone locked down for 18 months. @S209 has been correctly arguing that no one has claimed to want to do that, and that by all estimations a vaccine would be ready by early 2021 at the latest.
Exactly
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: June 23, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »
I am willing to bet that there will be a mass produced vaccine by the end of January 2021Exactly
While it's possible, I'd be shocked if there aren't any delays pushing it off at least a few more months. The claims of at least 18 month shutdown being pushed by dems are not far fetched, as it is we're looking at nearly a year in the most optimistic scenario assuming everything works as planned.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1203 on: June 23, 2020, 01:31:34 PM »
While it's possible, I'd be shocked if there aren't any delays pushing it off at least a few more months. The claims of at least 18 month shutdown being pushed by dems are not far fetched, as it is we're looking at nearly a year in the most optimistic scenario assuming everything works as planned.

C'mon, man... there's no defending this narrative anymore. Every state is opening now, and we're 3 months from when restrictions were put in place. No one has waited for a vaccine. And there's no reason to believe a vaccine won't be available in Jan 2021, based off of the speed at which we've seen things move to date.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 23, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
C'mon, man... there's no defending this narrative anymore. Every state is opening now, and we're 3 months from when restrictions were put in place. No one has waited for a vaccine. And there's no reason to believe a vaccine won't be available in Jan 2021, based off of the speed at which we've seen things move to date.
If this was true, these arbitrary openings wouldn't still be happening. Most democrat run states only started opening up when the pressure got too intense and/or they couldn't continue the hypocrisy of allowing protests but nothing else.

As far as vaccines, I would love for there to be one sooner rather than later, but I'll believe it when I see it. Why are you so certain there won't be a single bump in the road pushing the release of a vaccine of by at least a few months?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1205 on: June 23, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
Why are you so certain there won't be a single bump in the road pushing the release of a vaccine of by at least a few months?
Because it's not one vaccine in development, it's hundreds.
And they are progressing nicely through the stages.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 23, 2020, 04:56:54 PM »
If this was true, these arbitrary openings wouldn't still be happening. Most democrat run states only started opening up when the pressure got too intense and/or they couldn't continue the hypocrisy of allowing protests but nothing else.

As far as vaccines, I would love for there to be one sooner rather than later, but I'll believe it when I see it. Why are you so certain there won't be a single bump in the road pushing the release of a vaccine of by at least a few months?

You call them arbitrary, but they are following a plan. Now you can argue about the logic or rationale behind the plans, but the fact is they are opening without a vaccine, rendering the argument moot.

As far as vaccines, I anticipate many bumps, and I personally wouldn't use the first few vaccines that come out. But there is more than one vaccine with an expected release date of late 2020 / early 2021, and given the way Hydroxychloriquin was given emergency temp approval, I think it's a very solid bet that at least one will make it through by early 2021.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 23, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
You call them arbitrary, but they are following a plan. Now you can argue about the logic or rationale behind the plans, but the fact is they are opening without a vaccine, rendering the argument moot.

As far as vaccines, I anticipate many bumps, and I personally wouldn't use the first few vaccines that come out. But there is more than one vaccine with an expected release date of late 2020 / early 2021, and given the way Hydroxychloriquin was given emergency temp approval, I think it's a very solid bet that at least one will make it through by early 2021.
Most democrat run states only started opening up when the pressure got too intense and/or they couldn't continue the hypocrisy of allowing protests but nothing else. The fact that they were forced to start walking back doesn't change the intent.

Hydroxycloroquin is a drug that was already on the market for decades, that's why the emergency use (which was never needed for a Dr to prescribe it) was able to be given so quickly.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 23, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
Most democrat run states only started opening up when the pressure got too intense and/or they couldn't continue the hypocrisy of allowing protests but nothing else. The fact that they were forced to start walking back doesn't change the intent.

Hydroxycloroquin is a drug that was already on the market for decades, that's why the emergency use (which was never needed for a Dr to prescribe it) was able to be given so quickly.

You know that there are more Dem-run states than NY and NJ, right? Their plans were published for a while. The fact that the goals were reached after public pressure grew doesn't say much. Correlation does not equal causation. And yes, I've seen the posts about Cuomo's magic moving numbers, and they may be very true. That's still one state in a country with 50 of them.

The Hydroxychloroquine point was that things will get fast tracked if in the interest of the public. Don't get lost in the details.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 23, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »
You know that there are more Dem-run states than NY and NJ, right? Their plans were published for a while. The fact that the goals were reached after public pressure grew doesn't say much. Correlation does not equal causation. And yes, I've seen the posts about Cuomo's magic moving numbers, and they may be very true. That's still one state in a country with 50 of them.

The Hydroxychloroquine point was that things will get fast tracked if in the interest of the public. Don't get lost in the details.
The evidence is still here, the requirement was 30% of total hospital beds be available (which was intentionally a goal that's impossible to be reached in NYC), it's still at 29%. NJ never had a plan, it's has been and continues to be whatever Murphy is in the mood of doing. I didn't follow other states, so I don't know how their reopening worked.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 23, 2020, 07:29:16 PM »
The evidence is still here, the requirement was 30% of total hospital beds be available (which was intentionally a goal that's impossible to be reached in NYC), it's still at 29%. NJ never had a plan, it's has been and continues to be whatever Murphy is in the mood of doing. I didn't follow other states, so I don't know how their reopening worked.

The fact that we have to nitpick over 1% of available hospital beds should say something. Also, I don't think anyone can look at NY's numbers and say Cuomo's strategy didn't work. They reacted late (so did everyone else) and made some bad on the spot decisions because of the panic (as did most other places), but the overall goals were achieved. At a high cost, no doubt. Worth it? Depends who you ask, and way too early to tell.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 23, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
The fact that we have to nitpick over 1% of available hospital beds should say something. Also, I don't think anyone can look at NY's numbers and say Cuomo's strategy didn't work. They reacted late (so did everyone else) and made some bad on the spot decisions because of the panic (as did most other places), but the overall goals were achieved. At a high cost, no doubt. Worth it? Depends who you ask, and way too early to tell.
The reason I'm nitpicking on the 1% is because Cuomo intentionally picked a number that was unachievable. Notice how it reached 28% on 5/12 but reopening only began nearly a month later on 6/8 when the pressure got too intense.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 23, 2020, 08:05:09 PM »
Also, I don't think anyone can look at NY's numbers and say Cuomo's strategy didn't work.

What strategy? Kill 30 thousand people and have 15 percent of the state be infected?

He had no strategy, it was all politics and ego. Had him and de blasio acted like 6 year olds instead of infants with their bickering so many lives could have been saved. If you want to see how full of garbage the guy is you could go look at his interviews on MSNBC two days in a row. Yesterday they asked him about nursing homes and he said the mistake was trumps and today he said that it wasn’t a mistake but the nursing home staff brought Covid into nursing homes. The guy is one arrogant liar who can’t accept responsibility for any mistake that he made.

I understand that you think Desantis is bad but please please don’t even compare him to Cuomo and try and make Cuomo look good.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 23, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
What strategy? Kill 30 thousand people and have 15 percent of the state be infected?

He had no strategy, it was all politics and ego. Had him and de blasio acted like 6 year olds instead of infants with their bickering so many lives could have been saved. If you want to see how full of garbage the guy is you could go look at his interviews on MSNBC two days in a row. Yesterday they asked him about nursing homes and he said the mistake was trumps and today he said that it wasn’t a mistake but the nursing home staff brought Covid into nursing homes. The guy is one arrogant liar who can’t accept responsibility for any mistake that he made.

I understand that you think Desantis is bad but please please don’t even compare him to Cuomo and try and make Cuomo look good.

Seriously? No one is making Cuomo look good. By the time NY realized they had a serious problem, there were a TON of infections. You cannot make a rational argument that fewer people would have been infected or dead had the restrictions been any more lax. Your issue is that it went on too long and at too high of a cost to the economy, which is fair, but don't bring the dead bodies or infection rates into that argument. You can also say he messed up big time with the nursing homes, and you'd be 100% correct. Him denying it now doesn't invalidate the rest of the state's strategy, it just makes him a politician.

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: June 24, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 25, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/kinder-covid-israeli-lab-probing-whether-virus-mutating-to-become-less-vicious/
Seems like in Italy it became less. Also if b/c there doing more testing so now more of the new cases are younger people and we know that in younger people Corona is less serious so that may be a factor why were a seeing less serious cases now with this new outbreak. 

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1219 on: June 25, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
Seems like in Italy it became less. Also if b/c there doing more testing so now more of the new cases are younger people and we know that in younger people Corona is less serious so that may be a factor why were a seeing less serious cases now with this new outbreak.
Source? That one doctor hypothesizing in Italy? Not denying, wondering if you have a real source.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.