Author Topic: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?  (Read 56282 times)

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
Re: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2020, 02:01:09 AM »
Heard from a BP Hatzalah member that over the 3 day Yom Tov they only had 5 calls that were Covid-19 related.
Tyh

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2020, 02:41:32 AM »
Israel has had a decline of 6+% of people on ventilators BH!!!

10,878 tested positive

174 severe cases  (-3.3% in past 24 hours)

123 on ventilators (-6.8% in past 24 hours)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2020, 02:43:10 AM »
Heard from a BP Hatzalah member that over the 3 day Yom Tov they only had 5 calls that were Covid-19 related.
Tyh
Heard from one in Lakewood that they only had ONE. Not sure if he meant transports or calls tho.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2020, 02:46:01 AM »
Where's the post about the Nobel prize winner saying he would be surprised if they're over 10 deaths in Israel.

It's at 100+

What about the ones that predicted 5000 in severe conditions with 2000+ dead (in Israel)? The nobel peace guy is a hell of a lot closer. This has destroyed dozens of families in the frum world. But the hysteric people were predicting thousands of dead in the frum community. This is the good news thread, lets keep it that way

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2020, 02:48:51 AM »
What about the ones that predicted 5000 in severe conditions with 2000+ dead (in Israel)? The nobel peace guy is a hell of a lot closer. This has destroyed dozens of families in the frum world. But the hysteric people were predicting thousands of dead in the frum community. This is the good news thread, lets keep it that way
That was without social distancing  ::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2020, 02:50:24 AM »
That was without social distancing  ::)

Israel had social distancing from the day after purim. These predictions were made after.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 12, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »
Israel had social distancing from the day after purim. These predictions were made after.
As long as those dire predictions kept people home and saved even one life, it was worth it.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
Heard from one in Lakewood that they only had ONE. Not sure if he meant transports or calls tho.
Lakewood had one call on Shabbos. Not sure about the first two days of YT...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »
As long as those dire predictions kept people home and saved even one life, it was worth it.

Yes and no. If we shut down indefinitely weíd have less car accidents, less flu deaths, etc. etc. life does have to go on and there is probably a threshold that has to be considered tolerable. Iím not sure how that decision is made and Iím sure whatever formula theyíd use would have lots of people disagreeing and wanting stricter/more lenient guidelines.
My barber needs your support, heís a real sweetheart.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-our-barber-shop

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »

If we banned cars we would also be saving lives....is that worth it?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #520 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
If we banned cars we would also be saving lives....is that worth it?
Are you seriously making this argument or just pointing out that to save *one* life alone it wouldnít have been worth it?
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 12, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »

Thatís like saying thereís no chillul Shabbos in Jerusalem because the buses arenít running. If people arenít actually social distancing, and the number of confirmed cases keep climbing, thereís no reason to believe ďmin hatevaĒ that the death rate and death count wonít keep going up. A few weeks ago the same people were claiming S. Korea and Germany have the best data, and only 0.5% death rate. Well now both are at 2% and up. They also pointed at the US 1.4% death rate, and thatís it probably very exaggerated. Well despite massive increases in testing, it now almost 3x that number.

If we want this thread to have any good news, we have to stop with the ridiculous rosy predictions and stop telling everyone to continue life as usual.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:29:10 PM by yuneeq »

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 12, 2020, 11:01:23 AM »
Is is just me or did other folks also see families coming from out to town to in-laws parents for Yom Tov when everyone said not to. Iím working on myself to be don lachav zechos, but itís hard.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #523 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:58 AM »
Is is just me or did other folks also see families coming from out to town to in-laws parents for Yom Tov when everyone said not to. Iím working on myself to be don lachav zechos, but itís hard.
You donít know everybodyís situation, there definitely are many different situations and risk factors and I hope everything was discussed with a Rav/doctor but A) There definitely are/were some people breaking the rules without adequate reason and B) Judging just by the amount of young people I saw home on my walks over Yom Tov, there definitely was a large majority of people who stayed home and followed orders.

Donít be jealous of those rule-breakers, be glad you were smart and listened. I am not pointing fingers but I know someone who wasnít taking this seriously and visited an older gentleman after Purim, someone who gets very few visitors (no family), while both were feeling fine. This person started showing symptoms of corona afterwards, and the older gentleman has since passed away rĒl.. we donít know whoís actions cause what but I for one am glad to have done my part to help keep my parents safe this Yom Tov BH.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 12, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »

On my block in Lakewood, out of 18 families every single family stayed home. Nearly every single one would have went to family. Most are young and married less than 10 years, and most were still planning on going a week before Pesach.

Perhaps there was a small percentage of non-compliance, but BH it looked very good overall from my viewpoint, and far beyond expectations.