Author Topic: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?  (Read 218100 times)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?
« Reply #760 on: May 05, 2020, 03:45:06 PM »
That certain people and personalities revealed their stripes.

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 06, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »
Nate Silver Retweeted
Ed Yong
@edyong209

I wrote about the issue of coronavirus “strains”. Despite the recent overblown stories, there’s no strong evidence that more dangerous strains have evolved—or even that there’s more than one strain. Here's a guide to making sense of it all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/coronavirus-strains-transmissible/611239/

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 07, 2020, 01:36:09 AM »
That certain people and personalities revealed their stripes.

Because of corona, I found out that my cousin has been volunteering to bury people for many years, a good friend of mine volunteers for taharos, and so do 2 other people I know well. Nice to find out that I underestimated the greatness of the everyday people in my life.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 08, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
 After Recovery From the Coronavirus, Most People Carry Antibodies
A new study adds to evidence of immunity among those who have already been exposed to the pathogen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/health/coronavirus-antibody-prevalence.html

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 08, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
After Recovery From the Coronavirus, Most People Carry Antibodies
A new study adds to evidence of immunity among those who have already been exposed to the pathogen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/health/coronavirus-antibody-prevalence.html

Interesting. So those who tested negative for antibodies after being positive for covid were almost all tested too early.

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 08, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »
Interesting. So those who tested negative for antibodies after being positive for covid were almost all tested too early.

It seems that way a relative of mine was so disappointed not to have antibodies during the Bikur Cholim drive. He tested a week later by Quest and came back positive.
Quest however does not attach a number you just get a positive or a negative. I do not know if there is a certain amount of antibodies that you need.

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 08, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
For what this is worth..... We have trust in the one above....

https://www.health.gov.au/news/getting-our-kids-back-to-school-a-matter-of-trust

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #767 on: May 08, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »
Fascinating article. Very positive. The most concerning part for me was how over 60% of the people who were sure they had it based on their symptoms and exposure did not have antibodies..
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 08, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »
Fascinating article. Very positive. The most concerning part for me was how over 60% of the people who were sure they had it based on their symptoms and exposure did not have antibodies..
1) Many people went even without being sure they had it.
2) How many of them if tested a month later would be positive for antibodies?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #769 on: May 08, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
1) Many people went even without being sure they had it.
2) How many of them if tested a month later would be positive for antibodies?
Because tests to diagnose coronavirus infection were unavailable to most people in New York City in March, the researchers included another 719 people in their study who suspected they had Covid-19 based on symptoms and exposure to the virus, but in whom the illness had not been diagnosed.
Sounds like they were people who suspected they had it because of symptoms and exposure back in March, the same time frame and conditions as the other group. The only differential was whether they were ever confirmed positive before.

Which brings us back to the point that many the people who say they’ve had it may not necessarily have had it.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 08, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
I'm curious about this part:
Because tests to diagnose coronavirus infection were unavailable to most people in New York City in March, the researchers included another 719 people in their study who suspected they had Covid-19 based on symptoms and exposure to the virus, but in whom the illness had not been diagnosed.

In this group, the researchers found a different picture altogether. The majority of these people — 62 percent — did not seem to have antibodies.
For example, I tested negative for antibodies, while my wife, who had a positive diagnostic test previously, tested positive for antibodies. We took no distancing precautions from each other (simply not practical given our circumstances) of any kind during the time that she presumably had the virus. Ain lecha exposure gadol mizeh. Why would I not have contracted it? And if I truly didn't contract it, what would be different down the line to cause me to contract it from an outside source. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, whether people realize it or not.

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #771 on: May 08, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
I'm curious about this part:For example, I tested negative for antibodies, while my wife, who had a positive diagnostic test previously, tested positive for antibodies. We took no distancing precautions from each other (simply not practical given our circumstances) of any kind during the time that she presumably had the virus. Ain lecha exposure gadol mizeh. Why would I not have contracted it? And if I truly didn't contract it, what would be different down the line to cause me to contract it from an outside source. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, whether people realize it or not.
a. she wasnt that contagious b. false negitive.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #772 on: May 08, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
Wonder if you would test positive a week later
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #773 on: May 08, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
I'm curious about this part:For example, I tested negative for antibodies, while my wife, who had a positive diagnostic test previously, tested positive for antibodies. We took no distancing precautions from each other (simply not practical given our circumstances) of any kind during the time that she presumably had the virus. Ain lecha exposure gadol mizeh. Why would I not have contracted it? And if I truly didn't contract it, what would be different down the line to cause me to contract it from an outside source. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, whether people realize it or not.
I know of others in a similar situation. Did you have any symptoms? I’ve seen a few possible answers, but it is a mystery right now

Offline mme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 08, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
my mother had the same thing my father tested positive for the virus and for antibodies and she tested negative for antibodies

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #775 on: May 08, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
Some possible answers I’ve seen (don’t know enough about the science to confirm validity):
A) You caught it once she was contagious, so you tested yourself too early because you’re really 2 weeks behind her
B) She had a low viral load, not enough to really infect others so you didn’t catch it from her
C) Not everybody gets it from everyone, as long as she didn’t sneeze or cough close to your mouth/nose it’s possible for you not to have gotten it but still get it from any random person who sneezes
D) You have some type of natural immunity so your body didn’t need to produce antibodies and you didn’t show symptoms
E) You got it, but in a really small dose, so it didn’t show on a test and you didn’t produce antibodies

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #776 on: May 08, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
I know of others in a similar situation. Did you have any symptoms? I’ve seen a few possible answers, but it is a mystery right now
I think this really underscores the point once more that as much as we know, there’s more we don’t know, and taking foolish risks because you think you’ve had it can be just as costly as mistakes in the early stages were.

I know way too many people who’ve abandoned all restrictions because “I already had it”  or worse, becaus “I was exposed to someone who had it” when they never tested positive for the test or antibodies, and never exhibited more than mild symptoms (which could easily have been anything else). That includes a 70 year old couple I’m close to, though she’s waiting on the results of an antibody test at least before she completely rejoins society

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 08, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »
In terms of our symptoms/timeline: My wife had symptoms (primarily feeling lightheaded and short bouts of minor shortness of of breath - no fever) starting with the shabbos after Purim, culminating with her deciding to get tested on 3/20. I had some very minor cold like symptoms that week, but then had fever for a few days after that, which was enough to make me retreat to bed for a day or two. So whatever happened to both of us was basically contained to March, with both of us feeling completely symptom free by April. We did our antibody tests on 5/4, so we're talking about more than a month symptom free.

A) You caught it once she was contagious, so you tested yourself too early because you’re really 2 weeks behind her
Similar to @etech0 comment. Given our timeline, I don't see how this could be the explanation.
B) She had a low viral load, not enough to really infect others so you didn’t catch it from her
Similar to @yeshivabucher comment. It's an interesting idea, and I've heard the level of viral load being discussed in terms of people getting infected, but nothing about it in regards to the contagiousness of the already infected individual. I'd be curious to see more discussion of this with all the research going on.
C) Not everybody gets it from everyone, as long as she didn’t sneeze or cough close to your mouth/nose it’s possible for you not to have gotten it but still get it from any random person who sneezes
Always a possibility, but like I said before, I know for myself that it was ain lecha exposure gadol mizeh.
D) You have some type of natural immunity so your body didn’t need to produce antibodies and you didn’t show symptoms
I haven't seen any discussion of such a concept. How would it even work? What natural properties/characteristics could possible provide immunity?
E) You got it, but in a really small dose, so it didn’t show on a test and you didn’t produce antibodies
This could be as well, but practically speaking, I assume it would put me in the same boat as not having had it at all.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:23:09 AM by skyguy918 »

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 08, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
So far, the only tests for antibodies that are reliable are those done in conjunction with the Mayo Clinic or Mt Sinai Hospital.  the tests done for plasma testing is sent to Mayo.
The FDA just approved a new test.  I think from Abbott labs.   I assume it'll hit the local labs pretty quickly.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 08, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »
So far, the only tests for antibodies that are reliable are those done in conjunction with the Mayo Clinic or Mt Sinai Hospital.  the tests done for plasma testing is sent to Mayo.
The FDA just approved a new test.  I think from Abbott labs.   I assume it'll hit the local labs pretty quickly.
Not to presume that you were addressing me, but in case you're wondering, we did ours at Mt Sinai.