Author Topic: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?  (Read 221712 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Is there any good news in the fight against COVID-19?
« Reply #880 on: May 18, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »
This is your issue with the media? When the government tells everyone to stay home and forces businesses to close, they call it a lockdown?

I have many issues with the media. Mostly, they revolve around different outlets using rhetoric to gaslight segments of the population in order to further their agenda. We see it with race all the time. My issue in this particular instance is that using the term "lockdown" in conjunction with ignoring the positive vaccine news plays into a certain narrative. Understand, in FL, the government tells us to stay home and forces business to close on average about once a year, when a hurricane is coming. The media doesn't call it a lockdown. The only time you'll see lockdown in the context of a hurricane is when cities go under lockdown to prevent looting. Prisons get locked down. It's a term that is used in a context of powerful entities exerting control over people who need to be put in their place. By using that term with regards to the current situation, the media is gaslighting people who already have issues with what they perceive to be excessive government involvement and overreach in their lives. Now rebelling against the lockdown becomes patriotic. It's not a coincidence that the protests have combined groups of far-right anti-government activits and militias with groups of anti-vaxxers, all uniting in the name of patriotism and freedom. So yea, right now, the media putting our safety at risk by legitimizing fringe groups and pushing their ideas mainstream, as evidenced by the prevalence of their ideas on these very forums, that's my issue with the media today.

/rant. Sorry for taking this OT. Mods, feel free to move this to one of the many political/media threads to keep the news good.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 18, 2020, 09:50:13 PM »
https://nypost.com/2020/05/18/moderna-reports-positive-results-from-coronavirus-vaccine-trial/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news_alert&utm_content=20200518&mpweb=755-8876262-720568875

Not sure why this is earth shattering. This is stage 1 trial data. Aren’t there already vaccines in stage 2?

Either way, there are reportedly over 100 vaccines either in clinical trials or or with trials scheduled, what makes this one special? Many of them will hit this milestone sooner or later?

What is the finish-line here anyway? Successful results from stage 3 clinical trial? FDA approval? Government approval in other major countries (but not FDA)? Do any of the above matter if the second finisher has hundreds of millions of doses ready to go? (e.g. one of Bill Gates’ 7 vaccine candidates that he’s reportedly already ramping up production on?

My take on this is that the way things seem now, there will be billions of people lining up to get vaccinated, and much more than one winner in this race, not just the first one to cross the fuzzy finish line.

ETA:

There are so many other questions here, like when will the first vaccine be ready? 4Q20, 1Q21, or beyond? Will there be ample supply? Will doses go to the hotspots at the time, to the country of manufacture,  or to the counties willing to pay the most?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #883 on: May 18, 2020, 10:45:18 PM »
Not sure why this is earth shattering. This is stage 1 trial data. Aren’t there already vaccines in stage 2?

Either way, there are reportedly over 100 vaccines either in clinical trials or or with trials scheduled, what makes this one special? Many of them will hit this milestone sooner or later?

What is the finish-line here anyway? Successful results from stage 3 clinical trial? FDA approval? Government approval in other major countries (but not FDA)? Do any of the above matter if the second finisher has hundreds of millions of doses ready to go? (e.g. one of Bill Gates’ 7 vaccine candidates that he’s reportedly already ramping up production on?

My take on this is that the way things seem now, there will be billions of people lining up to get vaccinated, and much more than one winner in this race, not just the first one to cross the fuzzy finish line.

ETA:

There are so many other questions here, like when will the first vaccine be ready? 4Q20, 1Q21, or beyond? Will there be ample supply? Will doses go to the hotspots at the time, to the country of manufacture,  or to the counties willing to pay the most?
If Gates has his way we will start at the least developed country and work our way up
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 18, 2020, 10:46:02 PM »
If Gates has his way we will start at the least developed country and work our way up

Gates is just one factor in this puzzle that has many moving pieces. Thinking about this now, it’s very consistent with his agenda. The people who would find a solution without him don’t need his help as much as those that are helpless without him.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #885 on: May 18, 2020, 10:52:24 PM »
Gates is just one factor in this puzzle that has many moving pieces. Thinking about this now, it’s very consistent with his agenda. The people who would find a solution without him don’t need his help as much as those that are helpless without him.
What do you consider his agenda?

Either way, what these stories do indicate is that we’re probably going to have a vaccine out and distributed in record-shattering time, way ahead of the original 12-18 month window we were told was the fastest possible time. Think 6-9 months from when research began in March.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 18, 2020, 11:11:05 PM »
Either way, what these stories do indicate is that we’re probably going to have a vaccine out and distributed in record-shattering time, way ahead of the original 12-18 month window we were told was the fastest possible time. Think 6-9 months from when research began in March.

6-9 months? Even nine months is a stretch compared to the (relatively conservative) 12-18 month estimates circulating. I don’t think anyone can know for sure how fast they can rush these, but even six months from today (let alone March) sounds like a stretch, my understanding is that phase 3 trials alone take 6-9 months, and none of those have started yet. Also, you mentioned distribution, I thought 12-18 months was clearance, and manufacturing/distribution would be on top of that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:17:05 PM by AsherO »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #887 on: May 18, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
Without checking the Gates Foundation for a formal mission statement, I would guess it’s has something to do with maximum global impact.

I seem to remember something about raising people out of poverty and the falling rate of below-poverty populations around the world.

Giving the least developed populations first is consistent with either of those agendas.
I believe you’re correct. I was wondering if you meant his medicinal agenda- he loves vaccines as well. Thinks we could vaccinate ourselves against anything and everything.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 18, 2020, 11:14:52 PM »
What do you consider his agenda?

Research began in January for a lot of these vaccines IINM.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:52 PM »
Research began in January for a lot of these vaccines IINM.

China sequenced the virus at the end of January, I don’t think anyone was working on a vaccine of any sort at the time.

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 18, 2020, 11:22:10 PM »
China sequenced the virus at the end of January, I don’t think anyone was working on a vaccine of any sort at the time.
Interesting. I know trump said yesterday that at least one was worked on starting on January 12th? I’ll try and find a source. But I guess who knows with what he says

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #891 on: May 18, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
Interesting. I know trump said yesterday that at least one was worked on starting on January 12th? I’ll try and find a source. But I guess who knows with what he says

Don't mind him. It was the hydroxychloroquine talking.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 18, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »

Citing Trump is worse than citing Wikipedia, at least with Wikipedia there’s a chance it might be accurate...

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 18, 2020, 11:30:07 PM »
Citing Trump is worse than citing Wikipedia, at least with Wikipedia there’s a chance it might be accurate...
I know. I just wanted to show it didn’t come from nowhere. But this might be worse then nowhere

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 19, 2020, 12:14:16 AM »
["-"]

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 19, 2020, 06:10:03 AM »

If that's true, what's the problem with it?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #896 on: May 19, 2020, 07:25:58 AM »
there will be billions of people lining up to get vaccinated

I'm not so sure of that. Many will realize that it was fast tracked with corners likely cut.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 19, 2020, 07:32:02 AM »
I'm not so sure of that. Many will realize that it was fast tracked with corners likely cut.

Even if it’s 2/7 people on the planet lining up, it’s still billions of people.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #898 on: May 19, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »
If that's true, what's the problem with it?
That those less impacted will be prioritized over those more impacted.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 19, 2020, 07:44:25 AM »
Don't mind him. It was the hydroxychloroquine talking.

It would be super ironic divine retribution if His Arrogance died of a massive heart attack taking this drug.