Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 27597 times)

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
You wrote that you saw a report of a church being open. I was responding to that with the name nonsense that haters to about such reports in the Jewish community. Just like one report about a Jewish gathering elicits condemnation of all Jews, I was trying to write an equivalent about Christians. Should one report of a church elicit condemnation of all Christians?? Of course not. But for Jews, the haters think it's okay to think that.

Sorry, the post wasn't explained carefully enough. I would've written the exact post even if it was Dan who made the reference to a church.
I was trying to make a general point. If you took it personally, please forgive me. I did not mean anyone specifically. I could've used Muslims, Hindus, or any other demographic that has a lot of people to portray the point.
It is very important, whenever faced with a character limit, to carefully plan what you want to write, lest you be cut o

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
https://www.app.com/story/opinion/columnists/2020/04/03/coronavirus-open-letter-lakewood-community/2938827001/

OPINION
Coronavirus: An open letter to the Lakewood community
By Rabbi Moshe Rotberg

As a resident and rabbi in beautiful Toms River, I would like to share a few thoughts to my friends in Lakewood. As someone who was born in Paul Kimball Hospital in Lakewood and spent the first 38 years of my life there, I feel like I have some perspective.

Firstly, I am sorry for that fact that you are right now a beleaguered community. You are a close-knit community and each death shoots a hole into your collective hearts as you are all family. Pillars of your community suddenly are no longer amongst the living. I know that you are shattered.

Your funerals with thousands of people in attendance and eulogies respecting the deceased are now a teleconferenced speaker with a lone voice, if that.  I am sorry that there are so many orphans who usually get a week of mourning through shiva, and now our rabbis ruled that no one can come to console you in person, to protect the public.

That little child with large brown eyes full of tears and shock will be comforted someday; for now, I have no words. To the young wife going to have her baby, not knowing whether her ventilated husband is alive, I can only cry for your pain.

To the community leaders who closed down the shuls (synagogues and study halls) even before the state required you to, I commend you. The mothers and fathers holed up in their small apartment without a backyard with their large families for weeks already without a TV, video games or even internet, I celebrate your commitment to keeping them and all of us as safe as possible.

More than anything to my brothers on Hatzolah (volunteer EMT squad), the whole Jewish nation is standing in awe. Without getting one dollar in salary or a pension, you are responding to hundreds of calls with such bravery. You put your life at risk as you and your volunteer paramedics run into home after home. Your comforting empathy and messages of hope, as you send off those patients who need to be transported to the hospital not knowing if they will ever come out, is jaw dropping. To the doctors and rabbis sick at home or in the hospital with COVID-19 yet still serving the community in any possible capacity, you are fulfilling your mission statement of dedication.

Thank you Rabbi Stein and Rabbi Sigfried for donating 15 ventilators to local hospitals. That is truly special of you. Thank you to my many friends in Lakewood and Toms River for donating hundreds and thousands of much-needed supplies to the hospitals and first responders helping to save lives. You understand that there is a “Time to Give and a Time to Take.” Now is time to give.

As I drive through Lakewood for an emergency and I see a shuttered town, it tugs on my heart. The vibrant town is silent. There are no students running to the study halls, no traffic and no children. Even at the busiest time of the Jewish year, pre-Pesach (Passover), BMG, which is open 24/7, 365 days a year, is closed for the first time in history. I can’t fathom the difficulty of keeping approximately 52,000 children and teenagers at home.

This year Pesach will not be the same either. You will not be at the seder with your parents, grandparents and great grandparents as usual. It is what would be for the rest of the world canceling Thanksgiving. Young couples will hole up in small apartments, sad and lonely without their family and community to bond with. Despite that, thank you Lakewood rabbis for protecting your communities with edicts more stringent than that of the state. Your robocalls, letters and emails are saving lives. You are protecting everyone by recognizing your own unique situation.

Most of the world can see the same thing I see; all they need to do is drive through Lakewood. Sadly though, most won’t. They will read a phony story about schools being open, and three unfortunate stories of a collective 100 or so people (of your over 100,000 residents) who didn’t stick to the rules, and they will paint you with that broad brush.

I see what you see and hear what you hear. You are not individual heroes in their eyes. Those three or four stories trumpeted about the internet will be how you are looked at. To them, Lakewood is bustling; it's business as usual. They will judge you because they are misled into thinking that way, while others are thrilled to validate themselves for hating you already. This is part of your history and may never fully stop. Thankfully, judging all Latinos, African Americans, Asians, Muslims, etc., by the actions of a handful of them is not acceptable anymore for the most part. Maybe one day this will hold true for your community as well.

The fact that you all came together as a community on the festival of Purim before anyone realizing that COVID-19 was here, and the fact that you are a close community in general with many children, may have hurt you more than other communities and towns at this time. However, it will help you recover and rebuild as well. So, try to avoid the social media and the hate; they don’t want to see the truth. Your friends do, because they care to see the truth. We weep with you even though it seems you are crying alone. We pray for you and we will rejoice in your rebirth one day very soon hopefully.

Rabbi Moshe Rotberg lives in Toms River.
It is very important, whenever faced with a character limit, to carefully plan what you want to write, lest you be cut o

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
I was trying to make a general point. If you took it personally, please forgive me. I did not mean anyone specifically. I could've used Muslims, Hindus, or any other demographic that has a lot of people to portray the point.
Was just trying to understand your point.
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »
And the Ocean county sheriff got in an “emergency request” for 3 $30,000 mobile surveillance cameras for the whole Ocean County to put them in areas where people are likely to congregate. 3 for the whole county. And they were busy setting one up today where? 14th st in Lakewood. Enough already. Time to let the OC Prosecutor and OC Sheriffs office know that we’ve had it with being blatantly targeted and harassed.
Link?

14th street is simply ridiculous. I haven't seen gatherings on 14th street in years other than one-off events in people's homes. Why would anyone think that this was a hot spot?
The thing with the hamster is that running on the wheel is actually what it is trying to do.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »
Link?

14th street is simply ridiculous. I haven't seen gatherings on 14th street in years other than one-off events in people's homes. Why would anyone think that this was a hot spot?

They spent $30,000 of taxpayer money not to buy another Respirator or oxygen concentrator, but to put the camera on 14th and Madison pointed at the shuttered Bais Faiga because the Sheriffs department obviously believes the lies that weddings and events are still taking place.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
They spent $30,000 of taxpayer money not to buy another Respirator or oxygen concentrator, but to put the camera on 14th and Madison pointed at the shuttered Bais Faiga because the Sheriffs department obviously believes the lies that weddings and events are still taking place.

Source? Link? Something?
The thing with the hamster is that running on the wheel is actually what it is trying to do.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »

Tone deaf NYPD
My barber needs your support, he’s a real sweetheart.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-our-barber-shop

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2020, 02:20:37 PM »
Source? Link? Something?
Here’s part of it:

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-county/2020/04/02/coronavirus-ocean-county-our-hospitals-full-right-now-sheriff-tells-freeholders/5110639002/

“Col. Patrick J. Callahan, New Jersey State Police superintendent, announced at the state’s daily press briefing Wednesday a “partnership to supplement” Lakewood’s efforts to “ensure 100 percent compliance” with Gov. Phil Murphy’s executive order to stay at home and prohibit large social gatherings. The joint effort is between the State Police, Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office and Sheriff’s Office, as well as Lakewood police.

The effort is to tamp down on illegal gatherings in Lakewood, which has been an issue in Ocean County’s largest town and New Jersey’s fifth-largest town, with an estimated population of 102,682.

In one the latest incidents in Lakewood on Tuesday, police broke up an engagement party, charging ten adults, including a 99-year-old man, with violating the statewide order on social distancing.

In another incident on Wednesday night, police dispersed a group of 60 to 70 mourners who had gathered for a funeral on the corner of Madison Avenue and Eighth Street.

Daniel E. Regenye, Ocean County's health officer, said Wednesday that the health department has been “getting a lot of calls and questions” related to issues of noncompliance of social distancing and self-isolation in the county.

“We’re directing it to local police departments,” Regenye said.

Additionally, Freeholder Jack Kelly, director of law and public safety on the five-member, all-Republican board, has asked the panel to approve an emergency request from the sheriff to purchase three $30,000 mobile surveillance cameras.

The equipment is to be positioned in places within the county where members of the public are likely to congregate, particularly with the warm weather weeks away, Mastronardy said.”

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »
Quote from: ExGingi
Yehuda57 needs to spew a certain amount of sarcasm in order to survive through the day.

Online Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
all the responses (minus 1)are about Lakewood’s not listening. Sick.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »
They're ordering Jews in and around Tosh to stay home, non Jews are free to leave their house.

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
Not sure what news you are watching. I see all kinds of large congregations all over the place. Last Sunday some moron held a church service that was all over the news.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-least-70-people-infected-with-coronavirus-linked-to-a-single-church-health-officials-say/ar-BB12973o?li=BBnb7Kz
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »