Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 86776 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Savingsbeast

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2020, 11:17:45 PM »

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2020, 12:07:45 AM »
Why is this antisemitic?
I doubt that anti-Semitism was the reason for the closure, but it was probably in play with whoever called in the complaint.

BTW, according to my understanding, it should be allowed to be open.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 07, 2020, 12:13:01 AM »
I doubt that anti-Semitism was the reason for the closure, but it was probably in play with whoever called in the complaint.

BTW, according to my understanding, it should be allowed to be open.
Home improvement store can be open, but can home goods stores? It's a fine line, but they I think identity as a home goods store.

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2020, 12:16:44 AM »
Home improvement store can be open, but can home goods stores? It's a fine line, but they I think identity as a home goods store.

What are you talking about? Home goods isn't a comparison!
This is a hardware store-mini buzz-home improvement all in one.
The AG isnt anti Semitic but I do believe he is relying on people who are

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #326 on: April 07, 2020, 12:37:42 AM »
This is a description from Yelp for the store. Is it accurate?
This is a lovely, old-style home store, not unlike a Woolworth's or PR Grand. They have a wide array of kitchen appliances, china sets, and other hardware and brick a brack. I strongly recommend it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 07, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »
This is a description from Yelp for the store. Is it accurate?
This is a lovely, old-style home store, not unlike a Woolworth's or PR Grand. They have a wide array of kitchen appliances, china sets, and other hardware and brick a brack. I strongly recommend it.

Its a mix of cutlery, blenders, peelers, small electronics for the kitchen, glass cups, seasonal essentials, random home improvement stuff. A big mix of all essentials needed for the home etc

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 07, 2020, 12:47:19 AM »
when you need something for the kitchen that's not food center is the address
["-"]

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 07, 2020, 12:47:38 AM »
A part-time Tuxedo cop posted on Facebook "Drop a daisy cutter right in KJ!"

https://midhudsonnews.com/2020/04/06/part-time-tuxedo-cop-out-for-drop-a-daisy-cutter-right-on-kj-social-media-comment/
He's just an annoyed cop. The real problem is the one place that the world can see every time 4 frum people stand together, or bunch of chasidim do something dumb. Yeshiva world news.....

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »
Its a mix of cutlery, blenders, peelers, small electronics for the kitchen, glass cups, seasonal essentials, random home improvement stuff. A big mix of all essentials needed for the home etc
I would say it is a home store and not essential then.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2020, 12:49:38 AM »
that's why they have the bar open

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »
They are reopening today

Offline Chapshnell

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 07, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »

I gave you 4 items from thousands, they are a mix of everything. 100% essential. I cant explain the store, if you go in you’ll understand.

The same way for example Dollar Tree can be a grocery, then a hardware store, then a dif store because technically they have everything, think that type of idea but not food

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #334 on: April 07, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2020/04/center-of-town-we-were-shut-down-by-the-nj-attorney-general-ocpo.htmlSee the
announcement below.
UPDATE 8:10 AM: The store will be reopened today.
This comes after an outcry by local community leaders, who proved to authorities
this was considered an essential store, permitted under the executive order.
The store will be open from 10-6:30 PM.
All are requested to continue to practice social distancing, both inside and outside
the store.
Center of Town: We were shut down by the NJ Attorney General, OCPO... https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2020/04/center-of-town-we-w...
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 07, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »

I gave you 4 items from thousands, they are a mix of everything. 100% essential. I cant explain the store, if you go in you’ll understand.

The same way for example Dollar Tree can be a grocery, then a hardware store, then a dif store because technically they have everything, think that type of idea but not food

I wouldn't call it antisemitism. From an outsider's view it looks like a non essential store. If the person would see how much it is needed for the community they would change their mind, as we see happened.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 07, 2020, 11:29:24 AM »

I wouldn't call it antisemitism. From an outsider's view it looks like a non essential store. If the person would see how much it is needed for the community they would change their mind, as we see happened.
Yup, the outsider reporting this non-essential store after getting his bike repaired in a bike shop (allowed) after a visit to his liquor store (allowed).

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #337 on: April 07, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
Yup, the outsider reporting this non-essential store after getting his bike repaired in a bike shop (allowed) after a visit to his liquor store (allowed).
that's why they have the bar open
https://www.wsj.com/articles/prohibition-makes-a-comeback-11586214623

Prohibition Makes a Comeback
Pennsylvania shuts down liquor stores. Panic buying ensues.

The roaring 1920s and the so far deplorable 2020s already have one misguided policy in common. As state and local officials work to limit the spread of the coronavirus, some have ordered the closure of liquor stores. It’s going as well as history would suggest.

Pennsylvania’s Liquor Control Board announced March 16 that liquor stores would close the next day. The state hoped to keep residents at home, but instead Pennsylvanians flocked to buy booze while they still could. Lines stretched around the block, and sales spiked to $29.9 million in a single day—“the most spent on booze in Pennsylvania in one day, according to complete sales records dating back 12 years,” the Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week.

Denver saw a similar rush on March 23 when Mayor Michael Hancock announced that liquor stores would not be considered essential businesses. “It’s created a safety issue in the short term,” Argonaut Wine & Liquor co-owner Josh Robinson told the Denver Post. “The mayor said not to panic buy, but that is exactly what he encouraged people to do by shutting us down.” Mr. Hancock decided within hours to reverse course and let the liquor stores stay open.

But in Pennsylvania the closures continue. Many residents are now driving to neighboring states to buy alcohol, potentially bringing the virus with them. The Monongalia County Health Department has banned liquor sales to anyone without a West Virginia ID, and Delaware police are pulling over out-of-state drivers and instructing them to go home.

Pennsylvania’s Liquor Control Board resumed limited online sales on April 1. But it restricts orders to six bottles per transaction and can’t guarantee that all who want to buy alcohol can. The number of orders immediately overwhelmed the site, and the state now rations access to the online store, too. Black markets thrive when the government refuses to let supply match demand, so expect to see rum runners make a comeback.

New York City has been wiser and allowed restaurants to offer alcohol for take-out and delivery. That satiates the thirsty while providing much-needed revenue for struggling businesses. Kentucky lawmakers have passed legislation allowing alcohol producers to ship directly to consumers. Such policies acknowledge that, even in a pandemic, prohibition creates more problems than it solves.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 07, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
A part-time Tuxedo cop posted on Facebook "Drop a daisy cutter right in KJ!"

https://midhudsonnews.com/2020/04/06/part-time-tuxedo-cop-out-for-drop-a-daisy-cutter-right-on-kj-social-media-comment/

https://www.recordonline.com/news/20200407/part-time-tuxedo-cop-leaves-force-after-facebook-joke-about-bombing-kiryas-joel

What are they basing their claim that this was "a joke"? And what are the chances that they would include that claim in the headline if it was any other minority group?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 08, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »
News12 reporter Kurt Siegelin has a follow up on the school bus story. He bashes the AG and more. Great read!

https://www.facebook.com/kurtnews12/posts/2967043953318007?__tn__=K-R

LAKEWOOD UPDATE...

One investigation ends. And there likely won't be another one. Jewish residents in Lakewood reacted cynically today to the first bit of news. I can only imagine how resigned they'll be when the second part becomes evident. Resigned that there won't be any justice. Resigned that the divide and mistrust will persist. The Ocean County prosecutor couldn't heal that divide and, if they tried, it's lost on those who live here. Now, the state Attorney General seems to be taking a pass.

As predicted here several days ago, the county prosecutor investigation into whether schools were secretly still open in Lakewood proved fruitless. That investigation was nothing if not thorough. The prosecutor concluded (statement in a lower post) there were 85 buses out on the streets. My original column pointed out that every one of those buses was delivering meals. Yes, there were kids on board. In most every case, those were the children of the bus drivers. They were helping pass out the meals. There never were schools open in Lakewood. The prosecutor's office did what it had to do to gather evidence of that. Besides boarding countless buses, they had access to hours of on-board bus camera footage which bore it out. They had Toms River police scour neighborhoods for Ring doorbell footage. Nothing. They even went so far as to tail bus drivers in unmarked cars when they left their homes just to see where they were going. All to make sure. You may call these tactics aggressive. I'll be polite and call it thorough.

The prosecutor's office conclusion: "Subsequent investigation revealed that approximately 85 different buses from 4 bus companies - Jay's Bus Service, Masoras Avos Bus Service, Semon Tov Bus Service and Harnett Bus Service - were being utilized to deliver food to various residences in Lakewood, Toms River, Brick and Jackson, where residents were attempting to follow the Governor's stay at home orders."

In short, it was only ever meals. No schools. The reaction from the Lakewood schools attorney. Michael Inzelbuch?

"We appreciate the Prosecutor's statement. We will CONTINUE to insist that all buses delivering food CONTINUE to have appropriate signage and to avoid any further misunderstandings, at best, CONTINUE not have any children helping deliver food. HOWEVER - we are not withdrawing, at this time, the request for an independent review. Surely, no one should live in fear for doing their job as required by law in accordance with the law."

And he makes a good point. A driver I spoke with late last week wants to quit. He feels he's being harassed. Not just by the cops but by people in Toms River who still don't believe he's carrying meals. He's got people videotaping him at every corner. He's got strange cars following him. He feels threatened. He even took the step of delivering meals in his personal car because the bus had become such a visible target. So, yeah, re-read Inzelbuch's last line.

Rabbi David Rosenthal didn't mince words on facebook today, "The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office should be protecting the citizens of NJ, not serving as agents of bigots to harass the law abiding citizens of Ocean County. New Jersey OAG we demand an investigation!"

Rosenthal, Inzelbuch and thousands in Lakewood want the Attorney General to get involved. That request is just an ask. It doesn't have to be honored and the word I get from Trenton is that it will not be. The spokesman for Gurbir Grewal sent me this when I asked if the AG was going to follow up. "This was investigated by the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office. We do not have any further comment." I thought that vague. So I followed up and asked if they're just referring to the OC prosecutor's investigation and that's it? Alas, there was no response. So, let's just guess!

This type of communication comes as no surprise, frankly, because as has been the case with law enforcement since this began, you don't get much information and the information you do get can be interpreted different ways. Remember, it was the curiously-worded police email to News 12 New Jersey Jim Murdoch that got this whole thing started 8 nights ago. And now it appears to end prematurely.

One investigation is over, but I do maintain a second one should be opened -- into the probable cause of the first investigation. We've known police were sent an edited video. It wasn't edited for convenience. It was edited with intention. It was meant to create a fictional narrative so as to indict the Jewish community. Did the prosecutor's office finally see that for what it was? So why not investigate that? You want to root out hate in the community and establish trust between residents? Maybe that video is a good place to start. As for the phone complaints to the prosecutor's office, were they people just unaware of the meal mission? Or...not? Who's not suspicious of everything that led us to this point?!?

When I pressed Toms River police on the phone last week, I asked them what they were doing? Keep in mind, I'd seen all the relevant video clips at that point. I'd talked to people who knew. I put it out there point blank on the phone, "You guys have nothing." Today we saw that to be true. The process ran its course. There were no apologies today for the investigation, its shaky origins or the tactics used which only heightened the distrust.

Suspicion and distrust at such a time. The Governor daily speaks of the "New Jersey family." The hashtag "In this Together" is making the rounds. There's a pandemic and we can't seem to get neighbors in the same town to trust each other. "In this Together", huh? I guess there's a reason you have to sell it. In some places, it's sadly just not true.