Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 86784 times)

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #360 on: April 12, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
This is the part I don’t get (and the main difference in Lakewood is that the Rabbanim and doctors came out unified and strongly against making minyanim and everyone listens to a few main poskim/Roshei Yeshiva)- why do we need Rabbanim to tell people to use their brains? Seriously, how did this become a Jewish thing? It’s common sense, like looking both ways before crossing the street and going to a doctor if you’re not well.
Those times in LKWD are over.

I think we all understand having a title = nothing, but that your father might of been qualified for a job.

In LKWD I personally know of many respectfull rabonim that agree a minyan can be made outside only if proper distancing can be adhered to. Those rabonim understand politics and I believe you do as well. They understand they can say something in public against the "establishment" but will cause alot of headaches and fights, so they just issue thier guidance to thier own misspalil when they ask.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 12, 2020, 01:49:19 PM »
This is the part I don’t get (and the main difference in Lakewood is that the Rabbanim and doctors came out unified and strongly against making minyanim and everyone listens to a few main poskim/Roshei Yeshiva)- why do we need Rabbanim to tell people to use their brains? Seriously, how did this become a Jewish thing? It’s common sense, like looking both ways before crossing the street and going to a doctor if you’re not well.
We sing about the seichel hane'elam on shabbos. Thats the loss of common sense.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #362 on: April 12, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »
Those times in LKWD are over.

I think we all understand having a title = nothing, but that your father might of been qualified for a job.

In LKWD I personally know of many respectfull rabonim that agree a minyan can be made outside only if proper distancing can be adhered to. Those rabonim understand politics and I believe you do as well. They understand they can say something in public against the "establishment" but will cause alot of headaches and fights, so they just issue thier guidance to thier own misspalil when they ask.
R’ Forscheimer, Dr. Shanik, and the BMG poskim have a LOT of sway in Lakewood. Dr. Shanik woke up a little late IMHO and that probably costed a few lives unfortunately but Lakewood on the whole is doing a lot better than BP etc.

Some Rabbanim are allowing porch minyanim etc. and I’m not going to say anything against them but I have seen flagrant examples of people relying on those heterim and being very very dangerous, so all I’ll say back is that exactly what you said about having titles applies to some of those Rabbanim too.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 12, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
How many of the people making/attending minyanim actually asked a Rov who is qualified to answer such shaylos? The people I spoke to all quoted "some rabbonim"

And if the Rov doesn't have enough confidence in his psak being דבר ה' to stand up to the "abuse" by making his psak publicly shouldn't be paskening about this in private.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:36:28 PM by zh cohen »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #364 on: April 12, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
How many of the people making/attending minyanim actually asked a Rov who is qualified to answer such shaylos? The people I spoke to all quoted "some rabbonim"
I know of 3 very qualified Rabbanim in Lakewood who allowed porch Minyanim over Pesach. PM me if you want to see an email from one of them from right before Yom Tov

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 12, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
I know of 3 very qualified Rabbanim in Lakewood who allowed porch Minyanim over Pesach. PM me if you want to see an email from one of them from right before Yom Tov

My question was how many of the people at the minyan are relying on a psak given to them (or a psak made publicly for everyone) and how many are relying on something someone told someone in the name of someone else.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #366 on: April 12, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
I know of one where if he would have understood what the minyan looked like he would never have said what he did.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #367 on: April 12, 2020, 05:30:09 PM »
I know of one where if he would have understood what the minyan looked like he would never have said what he did.
I forwarded you the email. I know one Rav who was told on Yom Tov what the minyan looked like and said they should stop immediately.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #368 on: April 12, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
I forwarded you the email. I know one Rav who was told on Yom Tov what the minyan looked like and said they should stop immediately.
Not shocked.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 12, 2020, 11:29:19 PM »

R’ Forscheimer, Dr. Shanik, and the BMG poskim have a LOT of sway in Lakewood. Dr. Shanik woke up a little late IMHO and that probably costed a few lives unfortunately but Lakewood on the whole is doing a lot better than BP etc.

Some Rabbanim are allowing porch minyanim etc. and I’m not going to say anything against them but I have seen flagrant examples of people relying on those heterim and being very very dangerous, so all I’ll say back is that exactly what you said about having titles applies to some of those Rabbanim too.

While I agree they have alot of swaying power in lkwd it's only on 50% or so.

The other 50% listen to thier local rabbi and have nothing with the above mentioned. It hurts for some to hear it as this was not the case 10 years ago.

Its possible Lakewood is doing better in this regard due to the 50%.

Many Rabonim wont issue there pisakim publicly due to the fact that they don't serve the public, only their own constituents. Hence the reasoning you'd need to contact them privately.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2020, 11:37:22 PM »
We sing about the seichel hane'elam on shabbos. Thats the loss of common sense.
I think the seichel hane'elam meekal ra'ayon refers to Hashem
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2020, 12:18:44 AM »

Some people will rely on a heter for a porch minyan and be irresponsible about it, some people go to the grocery store and act irresponsibly (there were reports of crowded stores before y"t), some people go visiting and don't heed social distancing. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

That being said this whole discussion is way off topic.

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2020, 12:32:00 AM »
Went to Niagara Falls today, almost no one there, met one other Jewish family. A freind of mine claimed that you never know where the anti Semite with the camera is, and he will claim that the Jews are out on their trips and don’t care about rules. How far do we have to go because of these anti-semites? Are we supposed to stay locked indoors

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »
Went to Niagara Falls today, almost no one there, met one other Jewish family. A freind of mine claimed that you never know where the anti Semite with the camera is, and he will claim that the Jews are out on their trips and don’t care about rules. How far do we have to go because of these anti-semites? Are we supposed to stay locked indoors
What rule is there not to go to outdoor parks if you are keeping to social distancing?

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2020, 12:35:55 AM »
What rule is there not to go to outdoor parks if you are keeping to social distancing?

There isn’t, but anti Semites  are very good at making stuff up, or taking things out of context.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2020, 01:21:54 AM »
Pretty much, yes, to the best of your ability

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2020, 02:38:45 AM »
There is in NJ. All parks are closed.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2020, 03:49:52 AM »
There is in NJ. All parks are closed.
Only County parks

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2020, 03:55:07 AM »
Only County parks
a day later the state closed as well
["-"]

Offline yitzgar