Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 87490 times)

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #560 on: May 25, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
What in the world is this supposed to mean?!?
Getting sick now makes you an expert in that disease?
What makes you think 80% are conspiracy theorists?

I can speak for what I hear from live people, read 1st hand info and witness myself, without a history book written by someone that has a narrative telling me what happened.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:27:19 PM by KSMH »
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #561 on: May 25, 2020, 08:31:09 PM »
So you exclusively trust anecdotal information over expert information from people who have studied pandemics for a living.

That's like asking DDF what the weather was like when they were in Israel in July instead of relying on meteorologists and historical data.

There's a place for both, but assuming all experts have some agenda or narrative is a really bad approach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 25, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »
So you exclusively trust anecdotal information over expert information from people who have studied pandemics for a living.

That's like asking DDF what the weather was like when they were in Israel in July instead of relying on meteorologists and historical data.

There's a place for both, but assuming all experts have some agenda or narrative is a really bad approach.

There are experts that say just about what you want to hear, every one decides who they want to listen too including government.  Cuomo agreed today his experts were wrong.

No ones knows for certain, but can take percussions. To what degree is debatable.

For some reason there is a major push on the left  to silence one side and narrative.

At what point when someone listens to one expert over another does he become a conspiracy theorist?

If I witnessed the the weather in July then, I can tell you what the weather in July is.

Who decides what experts to listen to and at what point do we say that some experts just cant be trusted?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #563 on: May 25, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »
There are experts that say just about what you want to hear, every one decides who they want to listen too including government.  Cuomo agreed today his experts were wrong.

No ones knows for certain, but can take percussions. To what degree is debatable.

For some reason there is a major push on the left  to silence one side and narrative.

At what point when someone listens to one expert over another does he become a conspiracy theorist?

If I witnessed the the weather in July then, I can tell you what the weather in July is.

Who decides what experts to listen to and at what point do we say that some experts just cant be trusted?

That's why it's important to be able to gather as much information as you can and make the best bigger picture of it as you can. I try doing that in my roundups.
Rejecting everything from what you don't want to hear is folly.

And you might know the weather for the days you were there. But that's meaningless for the next days or the same days the next year. You need more information to give someone an meaningful answer.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 25, 2020, 10:26:18 PM »
@Dan I always marvel at your patience. I've always wondered if Eleff was shortened from Elephant, because you seem to have the patience of one.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 25, 2020, 10:39:55 PM »
@Dan I always marvel at your patience. I've always wondered if Eleff was shortened from Elephant, because you seem to have the patience of one.
Well, his uncle also shortened his last name when he started singing.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #566 on: May 25, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »

I have a memory like an Eleffant.

Since when do elephants have patience?

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »

Is it justified if it’ll save hundreds of thousands of lives?

ETA: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/what-can-coronavirus-tell-us-about-conspiracy-theories/610894/
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2020, 10:47:54 PM »
It won't so let's leave that out.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
That's why it's important to be able to gather as much information as you can and make the best bigger picture of it as you can. I try doing that in my roundups.

And you might know the weather for the days you were there. But that's meaningless for the next days or the same days the next year. You need more information to give someone an meaningful answer.

Rejecting something someone dosnt want to hear is basically promoting ignorance, but at what point does someone get the label conspiracy theorist?

Listening to experts for predictions might be ok but who gets to decide who and which experts to listen to?

At some point
That's why it's important to be able to gather as much information as you can and make the best bigger picture of it as you can.
One of the ways to do that is to
I can speak for what I hear from live people, read 1st hand info and witness myself,
Abvisiosly, using the scientist coumo used wont get us into the right place.

Shutting someone down because someone thinks the other is wrong doesn't create any good but to the contrary, it promotes real conspiracy theories.
Who gets to  decide what's right and his actions are going to be saving lives? Maybe it's the other person? They are thinking the same but from the opposite perspective.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:04:39 PM by KSMH »

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2020, 11:04:47 PM »

Shutting someone down because someone thinks the other is wrong doesn't create any good but to the contrary, it promotes real conspiracy theories.
Who gets to  decide what's right and his actions are going to be saving lives? Maybe it's the other person? They are thinking the same but from the opposite perspective.
I asked if it actually would, not if you think it would. Is free speech more important than life itself?

Censorship works fine in China and other countries. I don’t think conspiracy theories are rampant there. Who said they’re wrong? :)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2020, 11:08:41 PM »
I asked if it actually would, not if you think it would. Is free speech more important than life itself?

Censorship works fine in China and other countries. I don’t think conspiracy theories are rampant there. Who said they’re wrong? :)
One of the concepts behind the importance of free speech is that it is what is most likely to lead to the most reasonable outcome. Are those who compared it to the flu worse than those who made it predicted millions of US deaths?

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2020, 11:11:01 PM »

Some would argue barring free speech causes more harm then allowing free speech.

It dosnt take to much to speculate what would've been if there was free speech in Germany or  currently in China with the Uyghurs.

The list can be as long as you want it to be.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
Since when do elephants have patience?
Since I woke up every few minutes this night anxious that I won't miss my 7:30 porch minyan. See @avromie7? The virus causes young people to be anxious.  :P

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 25, 2020, 11:20:12 PM »
Since I woke up every few minutes this night anxious that I won't miss my 7:30 porch minyan. See @avromie7? The virus causes young people to be anxious. 
And i was always anxious that it would take way to long for there to be a minyan

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 25, 2020, 11:32:19 PM »

Yup that’s what journalism is supposed to be @Dan maybe open a  newsite we need you as editor in chief wish we have more of that type  coverage these days hence the thread you made

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
Yup that’s what journalism is supposed to be @Dan maybe open a  newsite we need you as editor in chief wish we have more of that type  coverage these days hence the thread you made
Read today's roundup.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 26, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »

ETA: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/what-can-coronavirus-tell-us-about-conspiracy-theories/610894/
The QAnon stuff has always been wild, but maybe even more so with CoViD. This video has some interesting bits of interviews with some of these nutjobs:

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #578 on: May 26, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
One of the concepts behind the importance of free speech is that it is what is most likely to lead to the most reasonable outcome. Are those who compared it to the flu worse than those who made it predicted millions of US deaths?
WOW you know who you sound like? The high predictions were if we did absolutely nothing. No sane person expected we would do nothing. It took some of the nutcases a month or so to finally realize that.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #579 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
Some would argue barring free speech causes more harm then allowing free speech.

It dosnt take to much to speculate what would've been if there was free speech in Germany or  currently in China with the Uyghurs.

The list can be as long as you want it to be.

:)