Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 87463 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #620 on: June 19, 2020, 08:22:38 AM »
Lol, it was because they showed an ANTIFA symbol when attacking them in their ad. Did Facebook remove the real ANTIFA posts?
Maybe he should educate himself on what certain things mean like Juneteenth?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #621 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
Maybe he should educate himself on what certain things mean like Juneteenth?
When did you find out what Juneteenth was?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 19, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
When did you find out what Juneteenth was?
Not until a week or so ago since with the systematic racism it was never taught in school.
Now if I had the full power of the government/presidency at my disposal I sure would know about it unless I was living in a cocoon.

I must say the responses so far is what I expected. No need to change my paintings.  :)

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #623 on: June 19, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
Not until a week or so ago since with the systematic racism it was never taught in school.
Now if I had the full power of the government/presidency at my disposal I sure would know about it unless I was living in a cocoon.

I must say the responses so far is what I expected. No need to change my paintings.  :)

Not to get too involved in political talk... this is what I pulled from Wikipedia (I know, great source).

Juneteenth (a portmanteau of June and nineteenth;[2] also known as Freedom Day,[3] Jubilee Day,[4] and Liberation Day[5]) is a holiday celebrating the liberation of those who had been held as slaves in the United States. Originally a Texas state holiday, it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States. Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.[6] Although the Emancipation Proclamation had officially freed them almost two and a half years earlier, and the American Civil War had largely ended with the defeat of the Confederate States in April, Texas was the most remote of the slave states, with a low presence of Union troops, so enforcement of the proclamation had been slow and inconsistent.[6]

A common misconception is that this day marks the end of slavery in the United States. Although this day marks the emancipation of all slaves in the Confederacy, the institution of slavery was still legal and existed in the Union border states after June 19, 1865.[7][8] Slavery in the United States did not officially end until the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States on December 6, 1865, which abolished non-penal slavery entirely in all of the U.S. states and territories.[9]

Based on this, I'm not sure why this is being considered for a national holiday.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 19, 2020, 01:06:07 PM »
Based on this, I'm not sure why this is being considered for a national holiday.
Because of what it represents. Did Columbus really discover America?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #625 on: June 19, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Because of what it represents. Did Columbus really discover America?

I hear you, but I don't think it represents much more than Texas being a little late to the party or news travelling a little slow 'round those parts. It's literally celebrating an announcement of old news. I agree that what they are saying it represents should be recognized and celebrated, but it should probably be on Dec 6, when the 13th Amendment was ratified.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 19, 2020, 02:22:31 PM »
I hear you, but I don't think it represents much more than Texas being a little late to the party or news travelling a little slow 'round those parts. It's literally celebrating an announcement of old news. I agree that what they are saying it represents should be recognized and celebrated, but it should probably be on Dec 6, when the 13th Amendment was ratified.

We should be embracing this holiday - its like Pesach Sheni or Shushan Purim, except instead of being one day or one month late, they were a few years late :-)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 19, 2020, 03:16:41 PM »
We should be embracing this holiday - its like Pesach Sheni or Shushan Purim, except instead of being one day or one month late, they were a few years late :-)

Maybe we should celebrate on Dec. 6th, and then we should all travel to TX on Juneteenth to really chap arein

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 22, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/06/hands-up-dont-shoot-we-want-summer-camp.html

Opinion
‘Hands up! Don’t shoot! We want summer camp!' | Opinion

By Star-Ledger Guest Columnist
By Clifford Kulwin

For several hours this week, a large, loud, frenzied protest blocked streets and tied up traffic in one New Jersey town. These days, of course, one assumes it had to do with systemic racism and police brutality and Black Lives Matter.

But Tuesday in Lakewood there was no mention of race at all because this demonstration was about…summer camp.

Hundreds of Jewish youngsters on bikes and scooters clogged the street in Lakewood Tuesday night, all demanding that sleepaway summer camps in New York open this year, according to the Asbury Park Press.

The Haredi, ultraorthodox Jews who make up the majority of Lakewood’s residents march to their own drummer. But even for them, the beat was unusual.

And I’m not talking about “why” the demonstration. They’re kids and I get that. Summer camp is integral to the life of Haredi children. Yes, their summer camps are as segregated and regimented as the private religious schools they attend; boys and girls don’t mix, food is strictly kosher, lots of prayer and study of sacred texts. But these youngsters love the baseball and the swimming and even the color war that makes summer camp special for all kids.

On his Twitter feed, Gustavo Martinez, the Asbury Park Press reporter who wrote the story, posted a fascinating 20-minute video of his stroll through the demonstration and his interaction with many young marchers. On its own, the spectacle of hundreds of Haredi children in their traditional garb demonstrating was astounding and kind of scary. No masks. No social distancing. But what made it positively mind blowing was the form their demonstration took.

Haredi families may not have television sets, or even radios, but someone’s been paying attention to what’s going on in the world. The children shouted “No camp, no peace!” As the Lakewood police accompanied the protest, there were cries of “Hands up! Don’t shoot.”

Somehow, these orthodox youngsters, whose parents strive mightily to shield from the impure and immoral influence of the larger world, who never go to the movies…somehow, in Lakewood on Tuesday, these kids were taking a page from the Black Lives Matter playbook.

“Unwitting assimilation,” UCLA history professor David Myers, a scholar of the Haredi community, calls it. “While there was likely no conscious effort to model the protest after those supporting Black Lives Matter, there was obviously communal awareness of what was going on, and that it was proving effective.”

But BLM was not the only factor having an impact that day. Nor was it the most significant one.

USC law professor Nomi Stolzenberg co-wrote with Myers a book about Kiryas Joel, the Catskill village made up entirely of Satmar Hasidim. She believes that recent decades have seen an expansion of the concept of religious liberty. “More than simply practicing your religion,” she says, it now extends “to anything you believe your religion wants you to do, even if it poses a risk to public health.”

Which is, of course, precisely what the unmasked and nondistanced youngsters on Lakewood’s streets were doing… abetted, I should add, by the parents and teachers who accompanied them, rather creepily sanguine about the whole thing.

In an April Bloomberg Law article, Stolzenberg noted a recent lawsuit by three Southern California churches that “alleges that religion is being unfairly ‘singled out’ and ‘relegated to second-class status’ because religious services are not on the list of essential services exempted from the orders.”

I am a rabbi. Religion is not unimportant to me but… an “essential service?” One that trumps the physical welfare of not only the faithful but all with whom they come in contact, some of whom will doubtless be elderly or infirm?

The young demonstrators’ appropriation of Black Lives Matter rhetoric is an attention grabber. Clearly, the Haredi community is not as insular as one might think.

Their use of that rhetoric draws us to what was truly noteworthy that day. The real route of the protest march was not along the streets of Lakewood, but upon the trail the Christian right has been blazing toward making ever-expanding religious liberty – its version of religious liberty - the civil rights issue of the 21st century.

Clifford Kulwin is Rabbi Emeritus of Temple B’nai Abraham in Livingston.
This piece is dripping with disdain

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 11, 2020, 10:41:01 PM »
Posting in this thread only because I don't know where else.

I was sitting on a subway train with my wife today minding our own business on a relatively empty car.
We were both wearing masks covering our mouths. Nobody sitting near us for at least several seats.
About a minute before the train was approaching a particular station, a middle-aged white man walks to the doors near us and utters "scum, scum" while looking at us.
I said, "sorry?". And he repeats while pointing at each of us in a quiet voice "one, two; scum, scum". He looked calculated and exuded hate.

It happens to be we were exiting at the same station, and then exited the station through the same exits at the same time. But no retraction.

My friends, these are our "enlightened" "intelligent" and "liberal" neighbors in NYC these days :-\ .

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 11, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »

I was sitting on a subway train with my wife today minding our own business on a relatively empty car.
We were both wearing masks covering our mouths. Nobody sitting near us for at least several seats.
About a minute before the train was approaching a particular station, a middle-aged white man walks to the doors near us and utters "scum, scum" while looking at us.
I said, "sorry?". And he repeats while pointing at each of us in a quiet voice "one, two; scum, scum". He looked calculated and exuded hate.

It happens to be we were exiting at the same station, and then exited the station through the same exits at the same time. But no retraction.

My friends, these are our "enlightened" "intelligent" and "liberal" neighbors in NYC these days :-\ .
Sad.
But why do you believe it was COVID related? And maybe it was just an old fashioned AS from.. say Wyoming?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 11, 2020, 11:10:15 PM »

Masks weren’t covering your noses?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 11, 2020, 11:19:59 PM »

Does it matter? These things have happened on NYC subways since they were first built. It's as likely to be Trump-related or an EDP as it is to have anything to do with Covid.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 11, 2020, 11:54:37 PM »
Sad.
But why do you believe it was COVID related? And maybe it was just an old fashioned AS from.. say Wyoming?

Just judging from the neighborhood, but yeah, at the end of the day, what do I know...

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 11, 2020, 11:58:46 PM »
Does it matter? These things have happened on NYC subways since they were first built. It's as likely to be Trump-related or an EDP as it is to have anything to do with Covid.
I've been riding the NYC subway for decades. I've had more such interactions than I can count. What made this one different was the profile of the antagonist. Your assumption of likelihood is incorrect.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 12, 2020, 12:01:42 AM »
I've been riding the NYC subway for decades. I've had more such interactions than I can count. What made this one different was the profile of the antagonist. Your assumption of likelihood is incorrect.

You profiled him as a liberal. Why would Covid be more likely a cause than perceived Trump support?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 12, 2020, 12:12:48 AM »
You profiled him as a liberal. Why would Covid be more likely a cause than perceived Trump support?

I told you why I think so:

I wasn’t asking as a Karen :P
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2020, 12:15:17 AM »
I'll try again:
...and happens to be Trump support is very rare in this neck of the woods.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
Correct.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2020, 12:27:30 AM »
I'll try again:...and happens to be Trump support is very rare in this neck of the woods.
He means that perhaps he perceived that you were Trump supporters (Orthodox == Trump support).