Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 87464 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2020, 01:03:11 AM »
I'll assume the video is real. No, it doesn't matter. There could be 1000 people coughing all over each other. It still would not excuse a single one of those replies which are anti Semitic trash.
I didn't read the comments and won't. I am not excusing anything. I was just asking if the media screwed up again?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2020, 01:07:38 AM »
I don't have the link, but the Town of Fallsburgh wrote a really nice post about how they worked with the community to arrange the levaya for the wife of the community Rabbi. (Everyone stayed in cars etc).

The comments were...
Exactly my point.
Any post on any person or group will be full of garbage.
Even if you write something good, the haters will jump in with their garbage.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2020, 01:09:04 AM »
I didn't read the comments and won't. I am not excusing anything. I was just asking if the media screwed up again?
Is the video real? Likely. Is it the media channel's fault that hundreds of anti Semites are using their report to post their anti semitism? Maybe.

There were more people in parks playing basketball at any one time than there were at this funeral. (until Cuomo closed them this week).

There are more joggers around prospect Park not practicing social distancing than the were in this video.

What happened at the funeral was wrong. It shouldn't be done and hasn't been done for the most part (to the best of my knowledge). But the media's rush to post these videos rather than videos of non Chassidic Jews congregating all over the same city is, shall we say, telling.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2020, 01:13:37 AM »
But the media's rush to post these videos rather than videos of non Chassidic Jews congregating all over the same city is, shall we say, telling.
Not sure what news you are watching. I see all kinds of large congregations all over the place. Last Sunday some moron held a church service that was all over the news.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2020, 01:17:07 AM »
Not sure what news you are watching. I see all kinds of large congregations all over the place. Last Sunday some moron held a church service that was all over the news.
Go through the tweets of the same account and find me one.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2020, 01:27:14 AM »
Go through the tweets of the same account and find me one.
I am not disputing what you are saying. I am not going to read a bunch of garbage.
I was just pointing out there is these large congregations all the time in the news from Florida/California beaches, NYC parks, Churches holding services and other situations.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2020, 01:35:09 AM »
I am not disputing what you are saying. I am not going to read a bunch of garbage.
I was just pointing out there is these large congregations all the time in the news from Florida/California beaches, NYC parks, Churches holding services and other situations.
Big difference with local news

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2020, 01:43:31 AM »
Maybe it's time for PPL to call or email thier local
PD
COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
PRESS
PROSECUTORS OFFICE
And politely let them know your unsatisfied with thier
Biased investigations
Biased enforcement of law
Biased interpretation of facts
Investigate to the truth

I personally did it a few times but if they would get 100's of such requests they would change thier attitude and tone.

It's a long discussion exactly how gov operates but in short it's based on fear of vote and press negativity.

Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
Imagine if someone would reply to your post with the following:
"Stupid Christians!!! They think they run the world!! and they are trying to kill us again, just like they did during the holocaust and the inquisition. The police should go down to every church in the country and lock up those disgusting roaches before they ruin the world for us."

This would not be an exaggeration - Numerous posts like this one, directed at Jews, appear after stories of Jews breaking the law. That group is maybe .02 percent of Brooklyn's Jewish population. (Do the math.) But the response is pointed at all Jews. That is unabashed bigotry and antisemitism.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »
Imagine if someone would reply to your post with the following:
"Stupid Christians!!! They think they run the world!! and they are trying to kill us again, just like they did during the holocaust and the inquisition. The police should go down to every church in the country and lock up those disgusting roaches before they ruin the world for us."

This would not be an exaggeration - Numerous posts like this one, directed at Jews, appear after stories of Jews breaking the law. That group is maybe .02 percent of Brooklyn's Jewish population. (Do the math.) But the response is pointed at all Jews. That is unabashed bigotry and antisemitism.

He gets it, he's just saying that the media stories about Jews aren't being seen in other parts of the country. It's pretty much isolated to the NY/NJ area, along with anti-Charedi sentiment in Israel. That doesn't make the anti-Semitism better, just not as widespread as it would appear to those in the Tri-state area.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2020, 09:09:29 AM »
That is unabashed bigotry and antisemitism.
Ok what's your point?
I don't understand that?
I don't know what's happening?
I am insensitive to bigotry and anti-Semitism?
I haven't seen massive amount of bigotry, anti-Semitism and racism in my life time?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »
He gets it, he's just saying that the media stories about Jews aren't being seen in other parts of the country. It's pretty much isolated to the NY/NJ area, along with anti-Charedi sentiment in Israel. That doesn't make the anti-Semitism better, just not as widespread as it would appear to those in the Tri-state area.
But they are. An article about Israel was the cover story on CNN. The cover story from the whole world.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »
Ok what's your point?
I don't understand that?
I don't know what's happening?
I am insensitive to bigotry and anti-Semitism?
I haven't seen massive amount of bigotry, anti-Semitism and racism in my life time?
Sorry I wan't clear. I wan't criticizing your post, nor was I directing my post toward you. I was using your statement about the church to give the folks reading this an example of what is happening thousands of time a day on Twitter.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
Sorry I wan't clear. I wan't criticizing your post, nor was I directing my post toward you. I was using your statement about the church to give the folks reading this an example of what is happening thousands of time a day on Twitter.
You quote me and use Christians as an example. If the post wasn't directed at me who was it directed at?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2020, 10:12:41 AM »
You quote me and use Christians as an example. If the post wasn't directed at me who was it directed at?
You wrote that you saw a report of a church being open. I was responding to that with the name nonsense that haters to about such reports in the Jewish community. Just like one report about a Jewish gathering elicits condemnation of all Jews, I was trying to write an equivalent about Christians. Should one report of a church elicit condemnation of all Christians?? Of course not. But for Jews, the haters think it's okay to think that.

Sorry, the post wasn't explained carefully enough. I would've written the exact post even if it was Dan who made the reference to a church.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
You wrote that you saw a report of a church being open. I was responding to that with the name nonsense that haters to about such reports in the Jewish community. Just like one report about a Jewish gathering elicits condemnation of all Jews, I was trying to write an equivalent about Christians. Should one report of a church elicit condemnation of all Christians?? Of course not. But for Jews, the haters think it's okay to think that.

Sorry, the post wasn't explained carefully enough. I would've written the exact post even if it was Dan who made the reference to a church.
I was trying to make a general point. If you took it personally, please forgive me. I did not mean anyone specifically. I could've used Muslims, Hindus, or any other demographic that has a lot of people to portray the point.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
https://www.app.com/story/opinion/columnists/2020/04/03/coronavirus-open-letter-lakewood-community/2938827001/

OPINION
Coronavirus: An open letter to the Lakewood community
By Rabbi Moshe Rotberg

As a resident and rabbi in beautiful Toms River, I would like to share a few thoughts to my friends in Lakewood. As someone who was born in Paul Kimball Hospital in Lakewood and spent the first 38 years of my life there, I feel like I have some perspective.

Firstly, I am sorry for that fact that you are right now a beleaguered community. You are a close-knit community and each death shoots a hole into your collective hearts as you are all family. Pillars of your community suddenly are no longer amongst the living. I know that you are shattered.

Your funerals with thousands of people in attendance and eulogies respecting the deceased are now a teleconferenced speaker with a lone voice, if that.  I am sorry that there are so many orphans who usually get a week of mourning through shiva, and now our rabbis ruled that no one can come to console you in person, to protect the public.

That little child with large brown eyes full of tears and shock will be comforted someday; for now, I have no words. To the young wife going to have her baby, not knowing whether her ventilated husband is alive, I can only cry for your pain.

To the community leaders who closed down the shuls (synagogues and study halls) even before the state required you to, I commend you. The mothers and fathers holed up in their small apartment without a backyard with their large families for weeks already without a TV, video games or even internet, I celebrate your commitment to keeping them and all of us as safe as possible.

More than anything to my brothers on Hatzolah (volunteer EMT squad), the whole Jewish nation is standing in awe. Without getting one dollar in salary or a pension, you are responding to hundreds of calls with such bravery. You put your life at risk as you and your volunteer paramedics run into home after home. Your comforting empathy and messages of hope, as you send off those patients who need to be transported to the hospital not knowing if they will ever come out, is jaw dropping. To the doctors and rabbis sick at home or in the hospital with COVID-19 yet still serving the community in any possible capacity, you are fulfilling your mission statement of dedication.

Thank you Rabbi Stein and Rabbi Sigfried for donating 15 ventilators to local hospitals. That is truly special of you. Thank you to my many friends in Lakewood and Toms River for donating hundreds and thousands of much-needed supplies to the hospitals and first responders helping to save lives. You understand that there is a “Time to Give and a Time to Take.” Now is time to give.

As I drive through Lakewood for an emergency and I see a shuttered town, it tugs on my heart. The vibrant town is silent. There are no students running to the study halls, no traffic and no children. Even at the busiest time of the Jewish year, pre-Pesach (Passover), BMG, which is open 24/7, 365 days a year, is closed for the first time in history. I can’t fathom the difficulty of keeping approximately 52,000 children and teenagers at home.

This year Pesach will not be the same either. You will not be at the seder with your parents, grandparents and great grandparents as usual. It is what would be for the rest of the world canceling Thanksgiving. Young couples will hole up in small apartments, sad and lonely without their family and community to bond with. Despite that, thank you Lakewood rabbis for protecting your communities with edicts more stringent than that of the state. Your robocalls, letters and emails are saving lives. You are protecting everyone by recognizing your own unique situation.

Most of the world can see the same thing I see; all they need to do is drive through Lakewood. Sadly though, most won’t. They will read a phony story about schools being open, and three unfortunate stories of a collective 100 or so people (of your over 100,000 residents) who didn’t stick to the rules, and they will paint you with that broad brush.

I see what you see and hear what you hear. You are not individual heroes in their eyes. Those three or four stories trumpeted about the internet will be how you are looked at. To them, Lakewood is bustling; it's business as usual. They will judge you because they are misled into thinking that way, while others are thrilled to validate themselves for hating you already. This is part of your history and may never fully stop. Thankfully, judging all Latinos, African Americans, Asians, Muslims, etc., by the actions of a handful of them is not acceptable anymore for the most part. Maybe one day this will hold true for your community as well.

The fact that you all came together as a community on the festival of Purim before anyone realizing that COVID-19 was here, and the fact that you are a close community in general with many children, may have hurt you more than other communities and towns at this time. However, it will help you recover and rebuild as well. So, try to avoid the social media and the hate; they don’t want to see the truth. Your friends do, because they care to see the truth. We weep with you even though it seems you are crying alone. We pray for you and we will rejoice in your rebirth one day very soon hopefully.

Rabbi Moshe Rotberg lives in Toms River.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
I was trying to make a general point. If you took it personally, please forgive me. I did not mean anyone specifically. I could've used Muslims, Hindus, or any other demographic that has a lot of people to portray the point.
Was just trying to understand your point.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »
And the Ocean county sheriff got in an “emergency request” for 3 $30,000 mobile surveillance cameras for the whole Ocean County to put them in areas where people are likely to congregate. 3 for the whole county. And they were busy setting one up today where? 14th st in Lakewood. Enough already. Time to let the OC Prosecutor and OC Sheriffs office know that we’ve had it with being blatantly targeted and harassed.
Link?

14th street is simply ridiculous. I haven't seen gatherings on 14th street in years other than one-off events in people's homes. Why would anyone think that this was a hot spot?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »
Link?

14th street is simply ridiculous. I haven't seen gatherings on 14th street in years other than one-off events in people's homes. Why would anyone think that this was a hot spot?

They spent $30,000 of taxpayer money not to buy another Respirator or oxygen concentrator, but to put the camera on 14th and Madison pointed at the shuttered Bais Faiga because the Sheriffs department obviously believes the lies that weddings and events are still taking place.