Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 87534 times)

Offline Savingsbeast

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:26 AM »
Rockland county executive wants a containment zone declared for two zip codes. Anyone wants to guess which demographic lives in those zip codes?

https://abc7ny.com/amp/rockland-county-containment-zone-coronavirus-new-york-news-update/6073555/

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2020, 01:05:31 AM »
Rockland county executive wants a containment zone declared for two zip codes. Anyone wants to guess which demographic lives in those zip codes?

https://abc7ny.com/amp/rockland-county-containment-zone-coronavirus-new-york-news-update/6073555/
Austro-Hungarians?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Savingsbeast

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2020, 01:06:56 AM »
It's worth noting that similarly Orange County executive wanted a containment zone declared for the town of Palm Tree. Coincidentally, they are made up by a similar demographic.

http://westchester.news12.com/story/41922649/orange-county-executive-sends-covid19-sos-seeks-containment-zone

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2020, 01:19:03 AM »
It's worth noting that similarly Orange County executive wanted a containment zone declared for the town of Palm Tree. Coincidentally, they are made up by a similar demographic.

http://westchester.news12.com/story/41922649/orange-county-executive-sends-covid19-sos-seeks-containment-zone
Why does the concept of “containment zones” for Jews sound so familiar? Weird

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2020, 01:21:29 AM »
I just wrote the following email to the writer of the piece here:

https://www.liherald.com/stories/lawrence-yeshiva-builds-hospital-to-treat-covid-19-patients,123758

Hi, 

In your article about the Yeshivah in Lawrence that built an ad hoc hospital, you wrote, 

"and that a good portion of the Jewish community was slow to stop gathering in large groups as the state mandated social distancing guidelines went into effect."

I would expect such a grave claim to be backed up by some sort of evidence. 

In actual fact, all synagogues throughout Far Rockaway and the Five Towns were closed for the Shabbat of the 13th and 14th of March. (as reported on your own website:
https://www.liherald.com/stories/five-towns-orthodox-shuls-are-closed-because-of-coronavirus

NY schools were only closed the following week. 

Rabbinic leadership was unanimous, loud and clear in forbidding gatherings and encouraging social distancing far more stringently than NY state or NYC. 

Yes, the virus hit our communities hard. The holiday of Purim on the 10th, when families and friends gather together to celebrate in large parties and we visit each other's homes the whole day sharing gifts, likely had a lot to do with the spread of the virus. NY was then limiting gatherings to 500 people. In hindsight, that was a deadly mistake by state and federal officials. 

Yes, some individuals in our communities have flouted the rules, but so have members of every part of the population. You cannot paint with a wide brush and blame "a good portion of the Jewish community" for the sins of a few. There are hundreds of thousands of Orthodox Jews in NY, if you saw a video (or even 5) with 25 or 30 people that is hardly representative. 

The same way it would be racist for me to say "a good portion of the African American community was slow to stop gathering in large groups as the state mandated social distancing guidelines went into effect." even if I could show you videos of public parks in NY filled with 50 or more African Americans playing basketball, handball and not practicing social distancing up until parks were closed last week. Those were individuals, and in no way representative of a community or group. 

Your mistake is not just one of semantics, it has real life affect on people like me who are visibly Jewish. People are blaming Jews for the spread of the Corona virus, and anti semitism has increased in numerous cities in part due to lazy journalism. 

I trust you will correct the record. 

With respect, 

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2020, 01:22:27 AM »

Well the new YouTube star i mean Doctor said that ninety percent have it
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2020, 01:25:58 AM »
Well the new YouTube star i mean Doctor said that ninety percent have it
Yes, 90% had Corona, r"l, but the other half are ok, B"H

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2020, 01:28:07 AM »
And all 7of those that had it got his cocktail and are better.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:12 AM »
Out of the 90%, 120% avoided being hospitalized thanks to his efforts.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:37 AM »

Hi,

In your article about the Yeshivah in Lawrence that built an ad hoc hospital, you wrote,

"and that a good portion of the Jewish community was slow to stop gathering in large groups as the state mandated social distancing guidelines went into effect."

In actual fact, all synagogues throughout Far Rockaway and the Five Towns were closed for the Shabbat of the 13th and 14th of March. (as reported on your own website:
https://www.liherald.com/stories/five-towns-orthodox-shuls-are-closed-because-of-coronavirus)

Rabbinic leadership was unanimous, loud and clear in forbidding gatherings and encouraging social distancing far more stringently than NY state or NYC.

Yes, the virus hit our communities hard. The holiday of Purim on the 10th, when families and friends gather together to celebrate in large parties and we visit each other's homes the whole day sharing gifts, likely had a lot to do with the spread of the virus. NY was then limiting gatherings to 500 people. In hindsight, that was a deadly mistake by state and federal officials.

Yes, some individuals in our communities have flouted the rules, but so have members of every part of the population. You cannot paint with a wide brush and blame "a good portion of the Jewish community" for the sins of a few. There are hundreds of thousands of Orthodox Jews in NY, if you saw a video (or even 5) with 25 or 30 people that is hardly representative.

The same way it would be racist for me to say "a good portion of the African American community was slow to stop gathering in large groups as the state mandated social distancing guidelines went into effect." even if I could show you videos of public parks in NY filled with 50 or more African Americans playing basketball, handball and not practicing social distancing up until parks were closed last week. Those were individuals, and in no way representative of a community or group.

Your mistake is not just one of semantics, it has real life affect on people like me who are visibly Jewish. People are blaming Jews for the spread of the Corona virus, and anti semitism has increased in numerous cities in part due to lazy journalism.

With respect,
Excellent.

(I will not even mention the affect/effect mistake)
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2020, 01:30:16 AM »

Thank you!

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2020, 01:30:41 AM »
Excellent.

(I will not even mention the affect/effect mistake)
How do you know which one to use? Simple, the one you use will be wrong.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2020, 01:31:39 AM »
Glad to see my post quoted in the Yated this week. Popular online forum indeed. ;)
I guess they have scouts scourging DDF for smart perspectives...

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2020, 01:34:05 AM »
I guess they have scouts scourging DDF for smart perspectives...
Why not say the name of the popular forum?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »

Hi,

https://www.liherald.com/stories/five-towns-orthodox-shuls-are-closed-because-of-coronavirus)

With respect,
Fantastic letter. You had a lot of practice though.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2020, 01:44:00 AM »
Why not say the name of the popular forum?
If the Yated mentioned Dans Deals anymore than it already does, people would start thinking that it is a paid advertisement.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2020, 01:46:48 AM »
If the Yated mentioned Dans Deals anymore than it already does, people would start thinking that it is a paid advertisement.
Everyone knows DD doesn't do that :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2020, 01:48:18 AM »
If the Yated mentioned Dans Deals anymore than it already does, people would start thinking that it is a free advertisement.
FTFY

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:22 AM »
I have mixed feelings about this video. I'm not sure why. https://twitter.com/Avi_schnall/status/1246683902279856129

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2020, 04:56:24 AM »
I have mixed feelings about this video. I'm not sure why. https://twitter.com/Avi_schnall/status/1246683902279856129
Indeed, why? Seems nice