Author Topic: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus  (Read 28827 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Antisemitism related to Coronavirus
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2020, 11:04:47 PM »

Shutting someone down because someone thinks the other is wrong doesn't create any good but to the contrary, it promotes real conspiracy theories.
Who gets to  decide what's right and his actions are going to be saving lives? Maybe it's the other person? They are thinking the same but from the opposite perspective.
I asked if it actually would, not if you think it would. Is free speech more important than life itself?

Censorship works fine in China and other countries. I donít think conspiracy theories are rampant there. Who said theyíre wrong? :)
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2020, 11:08:41 PM »
I asked if it actually would, not if you think it would. Is free speech more important than life itself?

Censorship works fine in China and other countries. I donít think conspiracy theories are rampant there. Who said theyíre wrong? :)
One of the concepts behind the importance of free speech is that it is what is most likely to lead to the most reasonable outcome. Are those who compared it to the flu worse than those who made it predicted millions of US deaths?
The thing with the hamster is that running on the wheel is actually what it is trying to do.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2020, 11:11:01 PM »

Some would argue barring free speech causes more harm then allowing free speech.

It dosnt take to much to speculate what would've been if there was free speech in Germany or  currently in China with the Uyghurs.

The list can be as long as you want it to be.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
Since when do elephants have patience?
Since I woke up every few minutes this night anxious that I won't miss my 7:30 porch minyan. See @avromie7? The virus causes young people to be anxious.  :P

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 25, 2020, 11:20:12 PM »
Since I woke up every few minutes this night anxious that I won't miss my 7:30 porch minyan. See @avromie7? The virus causes young people to be anxious. 
And i was always anxious that it would take way to long for there to be a minyan
The thing with the hamster is that running on the wheel is actually what it is trying to do.

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 25, 2020, 11:32:19 PM »
That's why it's important to be able to gather as much information as you can and make the best bigger picture of it as you can. I try doing that in my roundups.
Rejecting everything from what you don't want to hear is folly.

And you might know the weather for the days you were there. But that's meaningless for the next days or the same days the next year. You need more information to give someone an meaningful answer.
Yup thatís what journalism is supposed to be @Dan maybe open a  newsite we need you as editor in chief wish we have more of that type  coverage these days hence the thread you made

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
Yup thatís what journalism is supposed to be @Dan maybe open a  newsite we need you as editor in chief wish we have more of that type  coverage these days hence the thread you made
Read today's roundup.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 26, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »
Is it justified if itíll save hundreds of thousands of lives?

ETA: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/what-can-coronavirus-tell-us-about-conspiracy-theories/610894/
The QAnon stuff has always been wild, but maybe even more so with CoViD. This video has some interesting bits of interviews with some of these nutjobs:

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #578 on: May 26, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
One of the concepts behind the importance of free speech is that it is what is most likely to lead to the most reasonable outcome. Are those who compared it to the flu worse than those who made it predicted millions of US deaths?
WOW you know who you sound like? The high predictions were if we did absolutely nothing. No sane person expected we would do nothing. It took some of the nutcases a month or so to finally realize that.
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #579 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
Some would argue barring free speech causes more harm then allowing free speech.

It dosnt take to much to speculate what would've been if there was free speech in Germany or  currently in China with the Uyghurs.

The list can be as long as you want it to be.

:)
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 26, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
WOW you know who you sound like? The high predictions were if we did absolutely nothing. No sane person expected we would do nothing. It took some of the nutcases a month or so to finally realize that.
Some of the predictions with SD were also WAY off. Also, while Sweden is showing that SD was needed, it is also not reaching anywhere close to the magnitude of those forecasts.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #581 on: May 26, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »
Some of the predictions with SD were also WAY off. Also, while Sweden is showing that SD was needed, it is also not reaching anywhere close to the magnitude of those forecasts.

Sweden also had less than 10% of people with anti-bodies. If you extrapolate their numbers per million, and consider they are nowhere near done yet, I don't think the "millions" is so ridiculously far-fetched. Consider that with all our restrictions, our first wave reached 100k (and counting). If you look at the magnitude of second waves in comparison to first waves, I don't think 1 million US deaths is completely out of the question before we're all done. I don't think it will happen, because science is not what it was by other pandemics, but I don't think it can be dismissed as absurd, either.
Tick tock

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 26, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
Some of the predictions with SD were also WAY off.
The problem is there were 100's if not K's of different predictions. Many of the main ones were in the ballpark if not spot on. It is hard to make a prediction with SD when you don't know what compliance there will be.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 26, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »
The problem is there were 100's if not K's of different predictions. Many of the main ones were in the ballpark if not spot on. It is hard to make a prediction with SD when you don't know what compliance there will be.
Yes, but why is one which overestimates by many magnitudes better that one which overestimates? Neither one is the truth. When one is censored and one is not that shows bias. The free speech allowing the lows to counteract the highs would mostly balance it out to the mioddle.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 26, 2020, 01:08:32 PM »
The free speech allowing the lows to counteract the highs would mostly balance it out to the mioddle.
We both know unfortunately it doesn't work that way.