Author Topic: Car Repairs Master Thread  (Read 890 times)

Offline LennoxConner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Car Repairs Master Thread
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:13:41 AM »
I searched for a thread about car repairs, and didn't find anything, so I figured I'll start one.

I just had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2003 Hyundai Sonata. As I drove it home from the mechanic, I noticed a very rough idle, as well as poor acceleration. I did a little research online, and it seems that that is a common problem after replacing a timing belt if you are off by a tooth (in your timing). I obviously will take the car back to the mechanic tomorrow morning for him to adjust it, but in the meantime, can I drive the car? Will it damage the car in any way? I've driven a little so far, and it seems like it's okay, but I need to drive an hour away tonight, and want to make sure it's okay for the car.
Anyone know?
Thanks!

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Car Repairs Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »
I searched for a thread about car repairs, and didn't find anything, so I figured I'll start one.

I just had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2003 Hyundai Sonata. As I drove it home from the mechanic, I noticed a very rough idle, as well as poor acceleration. I did a little research online, and it seems that that is a common problem after replacing a timing belt if you are off by a tooth (in your timing). I obviously will take the car back to the mechanic tomorrow morning for him to adjust it, but in the meantime, can I drive the car? Will it damage the car in any way? I've driven a little so far, and it seems like it's okay, but I need to drive an hour away tonight, and want to make sure it's okay for the car.
Anyone know?
Thanks!
I don't know the answer I'd imagine it's not good for the engine.

Either way you got the thread title the same as the main one here https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=37772.0
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »

Anyone know?
Thanks!
The thing is you don't know how far off the timing belt is. I did mine on a 2011 sonata. It is pretty hard to be a tooth off and that is what worries me. Was the tensioner also replaced?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »
Who is honest reliable fixes breaks in Brooklyn?