Author Topic: yeshivas that are open  (Read 23567 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: yeshivas that are open
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »
I know a yeshiva which plans on opening next week, with (positive) antibodies test and (negative) covid test.

Or in other words: the Trump test, testing positively negative.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »
They move to bk for 2 weeks. Then they get their antibodies
Lol, I really hope not
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
Lol, I really hope not

I am curious about one point in all of this. I was talking to a friend of mine that as far as he knows he did not come into contact with anyone that was infected at any point. He told me that he is scared to go back to shul because he doesn't know what will be if he gets exposed/infected. On the other hand I do know of people that had direct exposure to one or more family members who are less worried to move forward and go into a little bit of a more high risk situation.

Do people think is a misguided approach?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2020, 04:31:11 PM »
I am curious about one point in all of this. I was talking to a friend of mine that as far as he knows he did not come into contact with anyone that was infected at any point. He told me that he is scared to go back to shul because he doesn't know what will be if he gets exposed/infected. On the other hand I do know of people that had direct exposure to one or more family members who are less worried to move forward and go into a little bit of a more high risk situation.

Do people think is a misguided approach?
Which, the first guy or the other people?
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2020, 04:39:49 PM »
Which, the first guy or the other people?
Other people. First guy I definitely hear.

Also Iím not sure why I took this OT, just saw talk about people not having antibodies and therefore being excluded from yeshiva. Now I see people are making another level of people who were exposed but didnít get anything and are therefore less worried

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »

Also Iím not sure why I took this OT, just saw talk about people not having antibodies and therefore being excluded from yeshiva. Now I see people are making another level of people who were exposed but didnít get anything and are therefore less worried
I think the first guy is misguided.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2020, 05:08:31 PM »
I think the first guy is misguided.
Misguided because you have a theory that must be right?
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
Misguided because you have a theory that must be right?
No, because for a young healthy person the risk is negligible.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2020, 05:12:41 PM »

They are definitely misguided but there is at least an argument to be made. If the theory that some people may be less susceptible to catching the virus altogether (for example, due to exposure to previous coronaviruses) is true, then strong previous exposure can be used as anecdotal evidence that this person is more likely to fall into that category.

Of course, itís at best a theory, and even if the theory is true their lack of contracting the virus previously in no way necessarily means that they are of that category, it just means they failed to catch it yet for some reason, of which one may be that theyíre less susceptible.

So yes, theyíre definitely misguided (and likely under informed), but there is at least a scientific possibility that they have a point.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2020, 05:14:58 PM »
No, because for a young healthy person the risk of immediate death is negligible compared to some other things (though we certainly have no idea of long term potential ramifications and they can become a spreader of the virus to other more vulnerable people).
FTFY
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »
They are definitely misguided but there is at least an argument to be made. If the theory that some people may be less susceptible to catching the virus altogether (for example, due to exposure to previous coronaviruses) is true, then strong previous exposure can be used as anecdotal evidence that this person is more likely to fall into that category.

Of course, itís at best a theory, and even if the theory is true their lack of contracting the virus previously in no way necessarily means that they are of that category, it just means they failed to catch it yet for some reason, of which one may be that theyíre less susceptible.

So yes, theyíre definitely misguided (and likely under informed), but there is at least a scientific possibility that they have a point.
I donít think that itís a theory. They found blood samples that could not have possibly been exposed to COVID (from 2015) and were immune to it because of the presence of T-cells.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2020, 05:36:59 PM »
FTFY
People who are afraid of the unknown to the point of not going out are usually prescribed medication for anxiety.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
Then there's also the theory that @Dan posted a few times, which posits that there are some people who are super spreaders and more contagious than others. If that theory is correct, then having been exposed to many people with light viral shedding doesn't mean you won't catch it in shul, which is more or less accepted to be a higher risk place (due to closed quarters, loud singing, extended periods in one place, etc.).
When you find yourself agreeing with me more often than not, it's time for a cheshbon hanefesh.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2020, 05:39:56 PM »
I donít think that itís a theory. They found blood samples that could not have possibly been exposed to COVID (from 2015) and were immune to it because of the presence of T-cells.

They didn't prove that those cells conferred immunity on anyone. They found that those particular cells may be resistant to Covid.
When you find yourself agreeing with me more often than not, it's time for a cheshbon hanefesh.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2020, 05:41:15 PM »
People who are afraid of the unknown to the point of not going out are usually prescribed medication for anxiety.

So are people who disregard all risk. What's your point?