Author Topic: yeshivas that are open  (Read 58106 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: yeshivas that are open
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
Anyone should be able to understand that the risk to young healthy people is negligible.

Read this description of a 20-year old who had mild covid-19 symptoms in March, a positive antibody test in April, and was hospitalized in May with the covid-related inflammatory disease recently described in children.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/opinion/mis-c-coronavirus-children.html

So there may be health consequences that don't show up till two months after infection. 
Might there be other health consequences after 6 months? 

Hmmm... Let me look that up.... 

Oh, never mind, I'll just ask here:  Did you have covid-19 six months ago?  Any lingering symptoms?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »
Read this description of a 20-year old who had mild covid-19 symptoms in March, a positive antibody test in April, and was hospitalized in May with the covid-related inflammatory disease recently described in children.

So there may be health consequences that don't show up till two months after infection. 

Oh, never mind, I'll just ask here:  Did you have covid-19 six months ago?  Any lingering symptoms?
Does that mean that someone in that situation should try to avoid exposure? Or just that they shouldn't assume they are out of the woods?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
Does that mean that someone in that situation should try to avoid exposure? Or just that they shouldn't assume they are out of the woods?

It means that when a novel disease appears, everything about it is unknown.  We shouldn't pretend that we know that the risks to young people are negligible, when all of humanity has had a mere 5 months to study the disease. 

In general, I would think that טוב לאדם שלא נחלה, משנחלה
If I hadn't caught it, I would make every effort to avoid getting covid.
If I had covid and recovered, I would still make every effort to avoid re-infection.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »

There are always things we don't know, you can't live in fear all your life.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
I think it's very likely more people were prescribed anxiety medications that usual, although I don't have any data to back it up.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-people-are-taking-drugs-for-anxiety-and-insomnia-and-doctors-are-worried-11590411600

Online avromie7

• View Profile

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »
There are always things we don't know, you can't live in fear all your life.

You're right, there are always things we don't know, and we have to make decisions in life without perfect information about how to proceed. 

People differ in how they make those decisions.  Some ignore the lack of information, and quickly make what seems the best choice.  Others prefer to move more slowly and gather more information before deciding. 

The slow-moving, information-gatherers here are not necessarily scaredy cats suffering from acute anxiety.  They just take a different approach towards decision-making.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2020, 08:24:57 PM »
now that's worrisome.

Puh-leaze. Can you stop hiding behind other people's anxiety? This isn't about saving other people's mental health. You just don't think this is a pandemic or any bigger risk than driving a car. That's as far as this argument goes. It's not even the flu, it's the common cold. Just life as usual.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
Puh-leaze. Can you stop hiding behind other people's anxiety? This isn't about saving other people's mental health. You just don't think this is a pandemic or any bigger risk than driving a car. That's as far as this argument goes. It's not even the flu, it's the common cold. Just life as usual.
You missed the very important caveat, "for young healthy people". This discussion is not about what people should do to protect others, it's about young healthy people who are scared of getting the virus.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »
You're right, there are always things we don't know, and we have to make decisions in life without perfect information about how to proceed. 

People differ in how they make those decisions.  Some ignore the lack of information, and quickly make what seems the best choice.  Others prefer to move more slowly and gather more information before deciding. 

The slow-moving, information-gatherers here are not necessarily scaredy cats suffering from acute anxiety.  They just take a different approach towards decision-making.
Your posts make my day :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2020, 09:30:08 PM »
"שמר רוח לא יזרע, וראה בעבים לא יקצור”
Life is about taking risks. Most of us on occasion speed or drive in the snow to a relatives close chasunah. I’ve done it. It was a major storm and pretty harrowing but I wasn’t going to miss my sisters chasunah! Some of us will admit to driving an all nighter when we are sleep deprived if the need is urgent (some will do so even for a vacation trip) despite some risk to ourselves and others.For hundreds of years many Jews took the risk of putting them and their entire families on ships to take them to lands where there were better parnassa or learning and davening opportunities. And those overseas voyages were risky. Many ships capsized. Every time I go into Manhattan or drive on the Belt I feel like I’m taking a risk to myself and others.

Waiting to daven in shul until the first night of slichos when the last positive individual has tested negative does not seem to be a reasonable approach. But neither is davening in a minyan full of seniors in a location that is still seeing significant spread. This is not the flu and this is not a completely negligible risk.

There has to be some reasonable middle ground. Not everyone is going to agree where that middle ground is. To me the “who knows what we don’t know about this virus” approach seems to be too risk averse a standard for the general population. Could those infected get reinfected. Could antibodies not proffer immunity? Could some mysterious new manifestation affect 50,000 children? It’s possible. But that’s not indicated by current information.

Could I send my daughter to Israel only to have Iran attack with chemical weapons in an all out war? That’s not off the table.שמר רוח לא יזרע, וראה בעבים לא יקצור.

We ought to be taking reasonable precautions, and reasonable depends on many factors. Older, immunocompromised people in a location with active spread need to take far more precaution. Younger healthy individuals in an area where the virus is not currently active; much less. Could there be a new wave? Could there be scary unknowns? That’s life.

Prior to Purim there was plenty of indication that there was a serious risk out there. I, and many others on DDF raised the alarm as soon as the attorney was diagnosed. I’m not averse to risk and I stayed home from shul early on. That was a clearly in reasonable risk based on clear indicators that were there for all to see. Those who ignored the clear warning signs were foolhardy. That’s not where we’re holding now in most communities. As traumatized as many are about the heavy loss of life we have seen- and rightfully so-there has to be some degree of normal risk acceptance. No, it is not valid to say if one person   (or 10 people) somewhere in the world will lose a family member then it is wrong to open up. That is not normal risk avoidance. It is simply not rational. We can disagree on how to define what exactly is. But it has got to be reasonable.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »
Life is about taking risks. Most of us on occasion speed or drive in the snow to a relatives close chasunah. I’ve done it. It was a major storm and pretty harrowing but I wasn’t going to miss my sisters chasunah! Some of us will admit to driving an all nighter when we are sleep deprived if the need is urgent (some will do so even for a vacation trip) despite some risk to ourselves and others.For hundreds of years many Jews took the risk of putting them and their entire families on ships to take them to lands where there were better parnassa or learning and davening opportunities. And those overseas voyages were risky. Many ships capsized. Every time I go into Manhattan or drive on the Belt I feel like I’m taking a risk to myself and others.

Waiting to daven in shul until the first night of slichos when the last positive individual has tested negative does not seem to be a reasonable approach. But neither is davening in a minyan full of seniors in a location that is still seeing significant spread. This is not the flu and this is not a completely negligible risk.

There has to be some reasonable middle ground. Not everyone is going to agree where that middle ground is. To me the “who knows what we don’t know about this virus” approach seems to be too risk averse a standard for the general population. Could those infected get reinfected. Could antibodies not proffer immunity? Could some mysterious new manifestation affect 50,000 children? It’s possible. But that’s not indicated by current information.

Could I send my daughter to Israel only to have Iran attack with chemical weapons in an all out war? That’s not off the table.שמר רוח לא יזרע, וראה בעבים לא יקצור.

We ought to be taking reasonable precautions, and reasonable depends on many factors. Older, immunocompromised people in a location with active spread need to take far more precaution. Younger healthy individuals in an area where the virus is not currently active; much less. Could there be a new wave? Could there be scary unknowns? That’s life.

Prior to Purim there was plenty of indication that there was a serious risk out there. I, and many others on DDF raised the alarm as soon as the attorney was diagnosed. I’m not averse to risk and I stayed home from shul early on. That was a clearly in reasonable risk based on clear indicators that were there for all to see. Those who ignored the clear warning signs were foolhardy. That’s not where we’re holding now in most communities. As traumatized as many are about the heavy loss of life we have seen- and rightfully so-there has to be some degree of normal risk acceptance. No, it is not valid to say if one person   (or 10 people) somewhere in the world will lose a family member then it is wrong to open up. That is not normal risk avoidance. It is simply not rational. We can disagree on how to define what exactly is. But it has got to be reasonable.
Very well said, this is exactly what I've been saying, you just explained it much better.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2020, 09:37:46 PM »
Wow, @Yard sale couldn't have said it any better.

Obviously opinions will vary within that spectrum, but I definitely like the way you compartmentalized the argument.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2020, 10:10:32 PM »

I agree with just about your entire post. Well said.

One thing that detracts from perfectly valid arguments is a poor analogy. Many here have been making them. Please don’t compare an active threat of a circulating novel deadly virus which has ALREADY claimed the lives of tens of thousands including many in the community with the remote possibility of a war breaking out. You can compare it to a war in EXISTENCE that has claimed lives and its a question whether it has abated enough to return.

The question currently is not about getting reinfected or a mysterious unknown disease. It is about people who have not been infected willfully risking themselves and others while a virus with no innate immunity is circulating with the potential for a full on deadly second wave, which has happened in many past pandemics and in all likelihood IS going to happen. It’s NOT like driving in the snow, through Manhattan, or on the Belt.

The biggest thing holding me back from lowering caution more is that the very same people who ignored and derided the risk early on are doubling down harder on the supposed lack of risk now. @Yard sale, if you stopped attending Shul before Purim due to perceived risk but now feel the risk has passed, you are an anomaly. Ashrecha. Most on here who deny any risk factor today called it the flu and stuck to their guns as people dropped all around them.

Once again, I definitely think the current risk in my community right now is far lower than it was due to a combination of factors. I also strongly support lowering or removing many of the restrictions in place.

Very well said, this is exactly what I've been saying, you just explained it much better.
Not quite
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »

One thing that detracts from perfectly valid arguments is a poor analogy. Many here have been making them. Please don’t compare an active threat of a circulating novel deadly virus which has ALREADY claimed the lives of tens of thousands including many in the community with the remote possibility of a war breaking out. You can compare it to a war in EXISTENCE that has claimed lives and its a question whether it has abated enough to return.
Are you saying tens of thousands of young healthy people died?

Not quite
You've got your head stuck so deep, you can't see what's going on around you.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »

Prior to Purim there was plenty of indication that there was a serious risk out there. I, and many others on DDF raised the alarm as soon as the attorney was diagnosed. .
Question.

If you would now hear about one new diagnosis within the frum community who them spread it to 10 people, would that be the same or different from that attorney and why

Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2020, 10:40:58 PM »
Are you saying tens of thousands of young healthy people died?
You've got your head stuck so deep, you can't see what's going on around you.
Yeah, you’re right. Anyone being cautious just needs anxiety medication and should never drive cars because it’s exactly the same thing. And it’s a liberal hoax to take down Trump when it’s really just the flu.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2020, 10:43:10 PM »
Question.

If you would now hear about one new diagnosis within the frum community who them spread it to 10 people, would that be the same or different from that attorney and why

New diagnosis in my community just shut down our Shavuos plans. C'est la vie.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2020, 10:48:48 PM »
Yeah, you’re right. Anyone being cautious just needs anxiety medication and should never drive cars because it’s exactly the same thing. And it’s a liberal hoax to take down Trump when it’s really just the flu.
You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between young healthy people and people who are at high risk.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between young healthy people and people who are at high risk.
You seem to have trouble understanding that young people ARE at significant risk relative to other illnesses and can be carriers of a deadly virus to other more vulnerable people.