Author Topic: yeshivas that are open  (Read 57000 times)

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Re: yeshivas that are open
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2020, 11:44:07 AM »
In summation: You misread the chart, misled, accused me of doing exactly that, and then refused to admit it when called out. Got it.
Nobody misread the chart. We misread your post because we didn't imagine that you would create a super-demographic to try to spin the story your way. We thought you were working with the demographics on that website.

The point remains that, that 16% (65+) of the population had over 40% of the hospitalizations.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
The point remains that that 16% (65+) of the population had over 40% of the hospitalizations.
Based on typical reporting that if only affects older people, that's a surprisingly low percentage of hospitalizations.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
Based on typical reporting that if only affects older people, that's a surprisingly low percentage of hospitalizations.
Once you move the dividing age down to 50 it shows a much different story.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
Once you move the dividing age down to 50 it shows a much different story.
Sure, but who considers people in their 50s "old"
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »
My point was that many many younger people contracted serious illness. If most will ride out their illness at home that just drives my point home further.. in no way was my statement misleading. I very clearly stated that. A very significant number of people 18-49 are being hospitalized. No, it’s not “negligible”. They make up a large percentage of total hospitalizations.

I agree and have been pretty vocal about it. I just think that in the name of intellectual honesty, we should maybe be clearer about what defines older and younger, even if the stats look better by using the 65+ cut-off. The narrative of 50+ being higher risk is pretty much the standard now.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2020, 11:55:41 AM »
As far as policy goes it depends not on labels but on risks for each age group.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #306 on: May 26, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »

Not "old" per se, but I'm definitely less surprised to hear about medical issues in people in their 50's versus people in their 40's, especially when you look at the comorbidities that seem to make this virus more lethal.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 26, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
He didn't say that tens of thousands of young people died. But you got me curious, so here's a stat I found.
Approximately 4% of NYC deaths were under age 44. If extrapolated to the US, that's 4k deaths. If extrapolated to the world, that's 14k deaths.
How many of those 4k in the US or 14k worldwide were "healthy" and how many had preexisting conditions?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »
Not "old" per se, but I'm definitely less surprised to hear about medical issues in people in their 50's versus people in their 40's, especially when you look at the comorbidities that seem to make this virus more lethal.
Is there anywhere that the numbers are broken up more finely than these?

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #309 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
But 24% of total hospitalizations were people in their 40s or lower!! There were almost as many 18-49 as 50-64!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 26, 2020, 12:08:46 PM »
But 24% of total hospitalizations were people in their 40s or lower!! There were almost as many 18-49 as 50-64!
There are 3x as many people in the 18-49 age bracket as the 50-64 age bracket.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2020, 12:10:21 PM »
Also they were much more likely to be less careful to avoid catching it and the number of infections was likely much higher than even that.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
Nobody misread the chart. We misread your post because we didn't imagine that you would create a super-demographic to try to spin the story your way. We thought you were working with the demographics on that website.

The point remains that, that 16% (65+) of the population had over 40% of the hospitalizations.
I noticed you deleted your post. Do you regret that now?

I literally was making the point that it’s *also* a threat for younger people. NOBODY ever insinuated that it’s as dangerous for young people as it is for old, or even close. My point was VERY CLEARLY that the risk to younger people is not negligible and my wording was VERY PRECISE. You’re doubling down on something you obviously already regretted. Sure you want to go there?

There was not one word in my post that was misleading or in accurate in the slightest (that I’m aware of). If you disagree, please point to it. Again, PUOSU.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »
Also they were much more likely to be less careful to avoid catching it and the number of infections was likely much higher than even that.
Both good points. Both don’t contradict my premise. The risk to the young is NOT “negligible”.

ETA: @avromie7 Is it safe to say you were surprised to see that and are trying to find a reason for why it might not be true?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 26, 2020, 12:12:54 PM »
Both good points. Both don’t contradict my premise. The risk to the young is NOT “negligible”.
I will speak only for myself, but I have been very clear that I don't consider the risk to be negligible for them.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »

One is a group covering 30 years, and the other 15 years. And there are still more hospitalizations in the 50-64 than 18-49. The point is, if you are over 50, you are higher risk. If you are under 50, you are by no means "safe" or "immune" and should definitely be taking precautions to make sure you don't get sick. Under 50 still accounts for about a quarter of all hospitalizations, and I think we can all agree that under 50's are less likely to go to the hospital unless things have gotten bad or that have other underlying issues.

My point is, setting the line at 50 does not take away from the severity of the situation for the people you're trying to convince to take this seriously. Setting it over 50 (at 65) may make them disregard the severity.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »
The point remains, some of the chart was green and some was red.

Who was making or debating that point?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Is there anywhere that the numbers are broken up more finely than these?

Not that I've seen, but I haven't looked very hard.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2020, 12:17:11 PM »
Per the CDC, there have been more COVID patients hospitalized between 18-64 than 65+. Almost half of those are 49 or younger.

“preexisting conditions” aren’t always known prior, and obesity is considered a significant comorbidity.
This was my original post. If anybody feels there was anything misleading feel free to call it out factually.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2020, 12:18:33 PM »
Anyone have any updates on yeshivas for older guys operating in NY or NJ?