Poll

Did you cancel your cleaning help because of COVID-19?

Yes
32 (47.8%)
No
22 (32.8%)
I would but my wife won’t let
13 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Did you cancel your cleaning help?  (Read 11753 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Did you cancel your cleaning help?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »
No. Do I need to get out more?
I read an article explaining what a jew-ta means, and when its a non jew its referred to by some as goy-ta
["-"]

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »
Not having "them" come to the house because now they have it?
Seems the opposite of not servicing "your" car because you have it.

Honest opinion here, you don't see a difference between an open service center offering services [open for business even though theres a pandemic going on, we'll take our risks], not willing to service someone from a specific community [that may or may not have a hifher rate of infection], without asking do you have COVID, were you exposed etc etc
To a statement that it we must still be careful because it is going around in the community so don't have them in your homes.
Not have these and not those, not service these and not those.
No one was denying that there was COVID in Lkwd, and if you wouldnt have wanted me in your house, its a free country. But if you choose to open your service center and take the risk of COVID, there are discrimination laws.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
Honest opinion here, you don't see a difference between an open service center offering services [open for business even though theres a pandemic going on, we'll take our risks], not willing to service someone from a specific community [that may or may not have a hifher rate of infection], without asking do you have COVID, were you exposed etc etc
To a statement that it we must still be careful because it is going around in the community so don't have them in your homes.
Not have these and not those, not service these and not those.
No one was denying that there was COVID in Lkwd, and if you wouldnt have wanted me in your house, its a free country. But if you choose to open your service center and take the risk of COVID, there are discrimination laws.
Yes but lets not distort what was said. Don't have them in your house because they are from other communities that have the virus.
What if I said don't have Jews come into your house because they have the virus?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
Wouldn't it just be straight out racist?
Racist? They are telling you not to bring the white cleaning ladies into your house. Racism against whites is permitted. It's called affirmative action.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
Let's continue to ignore the first two-thirds of the post, where it was strongly recommended not to let your children play with other Jewish children, because it doesn't fit the narrative.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 11:25:39 PM »
Let's continue to ignore the first two-thirds of the post, where it was strongly recommended not to let your children play with other Jewish children, because it doesn't fit the narrative.
There is no narrative. Just the facts of what was said. Saying correct things in one part does not excuse wrong remarks in another part.
If you are going to call someone out for using the wrong words then you need to be consistent or lose all credibility.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:53 PM »
There is no narrative. Just the facts of what was said. Saying correct things in one part does not excuse wrong remarks in another part.
If you are going to call someone out for using the wrong words then you need to be consistent or lose all credibility.

Which race are they discriminating against?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2020, 11:40:29 PM »
The race of "other communities in Lakewood".
Just like calling out the "The Jewish community" comment you should be calling out "the other communities in Lakewood" comment.
There was no need to say "the other communities in Lakewood". The problem is all the communities in Lakewood!!!
You call one out and defend the other. How do you expect someone not to see your bias?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2020, 11:43:06 PM »
The race of "other communities in Lakewood".
Just like calling out the "The Jewish community" comment you should be calling out "the other communities in Lakewood" comment.
There was no need to say "the other communities in Lakewood". The problem is all the communities in Lakewood!!!
You call one out and defend the other. How do you expect someone not to see your bias?

First of all, what race is "the other communities?"

Second, pretty sure the first two-thirds of the post covered the Jewish community,  and the last third covered the rest of Lakewood. That's everybody. The whole Lakewood. All the communities. Who's missing?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2020, 11:45:49 PM »
Yes but lets not distort what was said. Don't have them in your house because they are from other communities that have the virus.
What if I said don't have Jews come into your house because they have the virus?

I don't let other Jews into my house during Corona, because the virus is circulating in the Jewish (and in many other) communities. Does that make me racist?

If my housekeeper wanted to work, my biggest concern would be the other places they work (regardless of the housekeepers' race or gender and the race of the housekeeper's other employers).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »
First of all, what race is "the other communities?"

Second, pretty sure the first two-thirds of the post covered the Jewish community,  and the last third covered the rest of Lakewood. That's everybody. The whole Lakewood. All the communities. Who's missing?
Nice spin and I did expect it.
Nothing I say is not going to change your view so no need to go another 100 pages.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2020, 11:49:44 PM »
I don't let other Jews into my house during Corona, because the virus is circulating in the Jewish (and in many other) communities. Does that make me racist?
That's the whole point. No one should be allowed. The article singled out "other communities". It was the wrong wording and I am call it out. Maybe it was an honest mistake.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2020, 11:50:31 PM »

How about some context? There is a group-think in the Jewish community in Lakewood that goes like this:
We all had the virus. We can't get sick again. We're free to resume our lives.
The first part of the post addressed that issue. We don't know if we all had it. We don't know if we can get reinfected. Don't play around with this. Keep social distancing.
The second part addressed those who are still convinced that the whole Lakewood had it. Part of going back to normal is rehiring the household help. Hey people, don't do that, bad idea. Even if you think we all had it, there is a very high infection rate currently in all the communities surrounding ours. Don't play around with this. Keep social distancing.

Don't mind me. I'm a racist.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2020, 11:53:06 PM »
How about some context?
I can pull the same stunt with the mayor's comment.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2020, 11:55:26 PM »
I can pull the same stunt with the mayor's comment.

You tried, no one bought it.

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2020, 11:57:09 PM »
It is at least somewhat if not totally racist. Let me say that first.

The reality in my neighborhood is unfortunately that 75% are no longer careful about social distancing. Kids are playing together outside, adults are standing around together and chatting, and my child is crying on my couch because she feels like she's the only one who is bored alone at home while everyone else is getting out.

Despite all the letters and info put out, most of my neighbors feel that most people had the virus weeks ago and therefore herd immunity has essentially been reached. Pointing out that other communities are only now being hard hit does bring a different perspective. It's relevant info that is actually very likely to result in less people continuing to allow cleaning help in their homes.

Does that make it right? I don't know that it does. Or perhaps I should say that I know it doesn't - but I understand why they wrote what they wrote.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2020, 11:58:15 PM »
You tried, no one bought it.
I made the argument what he said wasn't wrong? 

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:41 AM »
It is at least somewhat if not totally racist. Let me say that first.

The reality in my neighborhood is unfortunately that 75% are no longer careful about social distancing. Kids are playing together outside, adults are standing around together and chatting, and my child is crying on my couch because she feels like she's the only one who is bored alone at home while everyone else is getting out.

Despite all the letters and info put out, most of my neighbors feel that most people had the virus weeks ago and therefore herd immunity has essentially been reached. Pointing out that other communities are only now being hard hit does bring a different perspective. It's relevant info that is actually very likely to result in less people continuing to allow cleaning help in their homes.

Does that make it right? I don't know that it does. Or perhaps I should say that I know it doesn't - but I understand why they wrote what they wrote.
This is a good perspective, although it’s not an excuse for the wording.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »
This is a good perspective, although it’s not an excuse for the wording.
Maybe the intent was exactly as @Lurker describes. The thing is words matter. You can't just call it one way.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2020, 12:31:02 AM »
I made the argument what he said wasn't wrong?

You did, as a devil's advocate. It didn't fly.

The information he was given was that there is a large problem with gatherings in the Jewish community. He did not receive any other reports with problems about a specific community. Based on the info he had he was right to call out that community. There was nothing anti-Semitic about the remark.
That's not the info he had. Maybe he had bad info but that doesn't make him or the tweet anti-Semitic.
I don't believe any of this but showing how easy it is to twist this when being dishonest and reverting back to your tribe.
That means his tweet was even more accurate. He hears reports of a large Jewish gathering again and checks it out for himself. It turns out to be true.