Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162848 times)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline srap

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »
WOW!  A must read: a thoroughly organized summary and info I haven't heard elsewhere.
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Here is the background info on this immunologist and professor:
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/about-the-author-professor-erin-bromage

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
WOW!  A must read: a thoroughly organized summary and info I haven't heard elsewhere.
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Here is the background info on this immunologist and professor:
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/about-the-author-professor-erin-bromage

I have been reading about viral loads for a bit.

But that clearly would explain New York's heavy and high infection rate.

Shsbbat zachor
Megilah
Purim seuda etc

Weddings

Lots of events involved large crowds indoors, close contact, singing etc.

You have subway, lots of elevator use etc etc

And as I said 6 weeks ago, you have the laws of probability.
More and more infections = more and more contact with infected people.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »
I have been reading about viral loads for a bit.

But that clearly would explain New York's heavy and high infection rate.

Shsbbat zachor
Megilah
Purim seuda etc

Weddings

Lots of events involved large crowds indoors, close contact, singing etc.

You have subway, lots of elevator use etc etc

And as I said 6 weeks ago, you have the laws of probability.
More and more infections = more and more contact with infected people.
Yes, I, too, have felt that viral load is real.  Look at the average age of the front line health workers who have died of COVID-19 vs the average age of the general public who have succumbed. 

BTW, think Shavuos!

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
Yes, I, too, have felt that viral load is real.  Look at the average age of the front line health workers who have died of COVID-19 vs the average age of the general public who have succumbed. 

BTW, think Shavuos!
I’ve heard this theory a bunch of times but do you have data on age of health care workers vs. age of general public?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2020, 02:50:30 PM »
I’ve heard this theory a bunch of times but do you have data on age of health care workers vs. age of general public?
Published data, no, I haven't searched for it.  Read the ages each time you see a DP and make a pattern for yourself.  True, the average age of a health worker is a younger average than the elderly, but we need to compare "apples" with "apples" re ages of deaths.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »
Repost
Ok, so?  Now what?  I haven't read that thread in a while.  What am I supposed to do when I see your post telling me this is a repost from a different thread (of which I was unaware)? 

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
Ok, so?  Now what?  I haven't read that thread in a while.  What am I supposed to do when I see your post telling me this is a repost from a different thread (of which I was unaware)?
Delete your post?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
Thanks. Great post. But way too long. I think it would be better if you did it once a week rather than letting it all build up like that
👆 גם אני מצטרף להנ״ל
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 12, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »
👆 גם אני מצטרף להנ״ל
I assumed you knew that before you hit post :)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Mtrasb

« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2020, 02:03:58 AM »
Fascinating article about the corona narrative:

https://shawnvint.com/2020/05/11/speaking-truth-with-love/

I enjoyed the clear and level headed tone that this author expressed.
Assuming everything is true the ramifications are frightening.

As absurd as it sounds it cannot be dismissed.

I would love to hear what people think.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-is-our-new-aclu-11589322149

For those who have a paywall, I pasted it for you:

Elon Musk Is Our New ACLU
The most sweeping restrictions on liberty ever seen deserve to be legally scrutinized.

By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
May 12, 2020 6:22 pm ET

A CEO has obligations to shareholders, among them not to let anybody take anything of value from the company that the taker has no right to take.

That Elon Musk’s resistance of California’s pandemic shutdown may well be due to fear that his company cannot survive if it doesn’t continue pulling in cash from delivering cars merely gives him a material and compelling justification for his defiance. He should protect his company’s right to do business and survive against what he considers unlawful and unjustified prohibitions. He would be derelict not to do so.

From the start of the crisis, the American Civil Liberties Union has advertised on its website: “The ACLU will be watching closely to make sure the government’s response is? scientifically justified and no more intrusive on civil liberties than absolutely necessary.”

Its definition of scientifically justified appears to be about as rigorous as the media’s, which means anything the hive mind has somehow decided requires fashionable conformity. The irony is that the science has been speaking clearly and consistently, but the public and a virtue-signaling media haven’t wanted to hear it.

For weeks, a CDC web page, which remains widely quoted by other government and health-care websites, advised, “In the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to this virus.”

When the lockdowns started, I could write without qualification: “Experts now agree the virus’s spread can be slowed but not contained. It will take its place among mostly seasonal respiratory infections.”

Our flatten-the-curve strategy, likewise, was premised scientifically on slowing the virus’s spread in line with local hospital capacity. Unthinkable would have been sweeping and indiscriminate bans on economic activity in places not yet touched or barely touched by the virus.

A writer in the Atlantic suggests conservatives favor opening the economy and want the old and ill to take one for the team. My own email indicates dissent from the lockdowns has nothing to do with being a conservative and a lot to do with being a physician or immunologist. By focusing protection on the elderly and vulnerable, we bring closer the day when the elderly and vulnerable won’t need protecting because the epidemic has run out of a critical mass of people to infect.

An unusually sensible writer in the New York Times points out that pandemics in the past have ended not with the virus going away—the 1918, 1957 and 1968 strains are still with us. They ended when people decided to accept and adapt to the virus’s existence.

Which brings us to Mr. Musk. He is not the only business operator, but perhaps the only one running a public company, who has decided to resist his livelihood being destroyed by infringements on the most basic rights of U.S. citizens: to leave their homes, to engage in trade, to work and receive pay.

We expect Mr. Musk to be grandiose: Let me be the first to be arrested, he tweeted, Patrick Henry-like.

We expect legal plaintiffs of every description to be self-interested—his defiance has clearly been accentuated by Michigan’s decision to let his competitors reopen their auto plants.

These infringements, it is vaguely but confidently asserted by politicians and their press cheerleaders, are justified by the science. Well, let’s test this idea in court.

You will be hard-pressed to find a scientist anywhere who maintains we don’t need to learn to live with the virus. Our incoherent lockdowns plainly lacked a scientific rationale for how to reopen when most of the public remains uninfected. An MIT group calculates that the desired benefits in terms of hospitals and the elderly could have been achieved far more cheaply by isolating the vulnerable rather than everybody, and with far less damage to civil liberties.

For some families, sheltering in place now appears to have increased their risk rather than reduced it. For most individuals, the danger was flu-like, which never before led to them being stripped of basic rights. Banning outdoor activities appears to have been absurd overkill. The notion that a vast testing and contact-tracing scheme is plausible and could halt the epidemic, much less is a requisite condition to resume most of our economic freedoms, would likely fall to sixth-grade math. Start with the challenge of identifying millions of asymptomatic carriers among millions of others whose symptoms are due to the common cold or flu.

That politicians took steps out of panic is understandable. That these steps were unjustified by the science that existed then much less now doesn’t mean their motives were bad. We can accept, especially in a panic, that the media will eschew complexity in favor of a story of an enemy who must be vanquished.

Our country and our Constitution are finished, however, if the most sweeping, authoritarian and undemocratic restrictions on individual liberty ever contemplated are not subjected to legal challenge and accountability.

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-is-our-new-aclu-11589322149

For those who have a paywall, I pasted it for you:

Elon Musk Is Our New ACLU
The most sweeping restrictions on liberty ever seen deserve to be legally scrutinized. I like his new title!

By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
May 12, 2020 6:22 pm ET

A CEO has obligations to shareholders, among them not to let anybody take anything of value from the company that the taker has no right to take.

That Elon Musk’s resistance of California’s pandemic shutdown may well be due to fear that his company cannot survive if it doesn’t continue pulling in cash from delivering cars merely gives him a material and compelling justification for his defiance. He should protect his company’s right to do business and survive against what he considers unlawful and unjustified prohibitions. He would be derelict not to do so.

From the start of the crisis, the American Civil Liberties Union has advertised on its website: “The ACLU will be watching closely to make sure the government’s response is? scientifically justified and no more intrusive on civil liberties than absolutely necessary.”

Its definition of scientifically justified appears to be about as rigorous as the media’s, which means anything the hive mind has somehow decided requires fashionable conformity. The irony is that the science has been speaking clearly and consistently, but the public and a virtue-signaling media haven’t wanted to hear it.

For weeks, a CDC web page, which remains widely quoted by other government and health-care websites, advised, “In the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to this virus.”

When the lockdowns started, I could write without qualification: “Experts now agree the virus’s spread can be slowed but not contained. It will take its place among mostly seasonal respiratory infections.”

Our flatten-the-curve strategy, likewise, was premised scientifically on slowing the virus’s spread in line with local hospital capacity. Unthinkable would have been sweeping and indiscriminate bans on economic activity in places not yet touched or barely touched by the virus.

A writer in the Atlantic suggests conservatives favor opening the economy and want the old and ill to take one for the team. My own email indicates dissent from the lockdowns has nothing to do with being a conservative and a lot to do with being a physician or immunologist. By focusing protection on the elderly and vulnerable, we bring closer the day when the elderly and vulnerable won’t need protecting because the epidemic has run out of a critical mass of people to infect.

An unusually sensible writer in the New York Times points out that pandemics in the past have ended not with the virus going away—the 1918, 1957 and 1968 strains are still with us. They ended when people decided to accept and adapt to the virus’s existence.

Which brings us to Mr. Musk. He is not the only business operator, but perhaps the only one running a public company, who has decided to resist his livelihood being destroyed by infringements on the most basic rights of U.S. citizens: to leave their homes, to engage in trade, to work and receive pay.

We expect Mr. Musk to be grandiose: Let me be the first to be arrested, he tweeted, Patrick Henry-like.

We expect legal plaintiffs of every description to be self-interested—his defiance has clearly been accentuated by Michigan’s decision to let his competitors reopen their auto plants.

These infringements, it is vaguely but confidently asserted by politicians and their press cheerleaders, are justified by the science. Well, let’s test this idea in court.

You will be hard-pressed to find a scientist anywhere who maintains we don’t need to learn to live with the virus. Our incoherent lockdowns plainly lacked a scientific rationale for how to reopen when most of the public remains uninfected. An MIT group calculates that the desired benefits in terms of hospitals and the elderly could have been achieved far more cheaply by isolating the vulnerable rather than everybody, and with far less damage to civil liberties.

For some families, sheltering in place now appears to have increased their risk rather than reduced it. For most individuals, the danger was flu-like, which never before led to them being stripped of basic rights. Banning outdoor activities appears to have been absurd overkill. The notion that a vast testing and contact-tracing scheme is plausible and could halt the epidemic, much less is a requisite condition to resume most of our economic freedoms, would likely fall to sixth-grade math. Start with the challenge of identifying millions of asymptomatic carriers among millions of others whose symptoms are due to the common cold or flu.

That politicians took steps out of panic is understandable. That these steps were unjustified by the science that existed then much less now doesn’t mean their motives were bad. We can accept, especially in a panic, that the media will eschew complexity in favor of a story of an enemy who must be vanquished.

Our country and our Constitution are finished, however, if the most sweeping, authoritarian and undemocratic restrictions on individual liberty ever contemplated are not subjected to legal challenge and accountability.