Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162817 times)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/497838-nih-begins-studying-hydroxychloroquine-and-azithromycin-as-covid-19

Will they even have 2000 (hospitalized?) patients to do this study on? Or will they give this regiment to a bunch of mildly-symptomatic (at worst) patients right after they test positive?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
Will they even have 2000 (hospitalized?) patients to do this study on? Or will they give this regiment to a bunch of mildly-symptomatic (at worst) patients right after they test positive?
הלואי! 

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Iz

• View Profile

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »
Not exactly an article, but worth a mention here:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=114650.msg2254084#msg2254084

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-a-face-mask-protect-you-11589842953

Will a Face Mask Protect You?
Maybe a little, but washing your hands and social distancing are far more effective.

By Marc Siegel
May 18, 2020 7:02 pm ET

Should you wear a face mask? Medical authorities have sent confusing messages. Both the U.S. surgeon general and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention exhorted Americans not to wear masks in January and February, then reversed themselves in April. Mask wearing is now mandatory in many workplaces and public spaces, but how much good does it do? The science is inconclusive, but probably not much.

It’s generally understood that surgical and cloth masks—as distinct from N95 masks, designed to filter fine particles—offer little or no protection to the wearer. The purpose of the mandates is to protect others by ensuring the covering of the face of anyone who is infected. A study published in Nature Medicine in April looked at 246 people with acute upper respiratory illness and found that wearing a surgical mask did decrease spread of genetic material from respiratory viruses, including coronaviruses. The researchers concluded: “We also demonstrated the efficacy of surgical masks to reduce coronavirus detection and viral copies in large respiratory droplets and in aerosols. . . . This has important implications for control of COVID-19, suggesting that surgical face masks could be used by ill people to reduce onward transmission.”

Yet another April study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, revealed that the force of sick patients’ coughs propelled droplets through both surgical masks as well as cloth masks.

What about asymptomatic patients? The CDC based its revised mask recommendation on studies that found asymptomatic spread was far more common than had been thought. But there have been no studies on masks’ effectiveness in preventing it. Although the coronavirus is highly contagious, it is much less so than, say, measles, which can linger in the air for two hours after a cough. a sneeze or even speech. By contrast, the Covid-19 virus has not been proved to be aerosolized. Coronaviruses often enter the body through the eyes, and frequent hand and face washing and social distancing is much more effective than masks at preventing that.

Wearing a mask seems harmless, but it could provide a false sense of security, leading people to take fewer precautions. According to the World Health Organization, self-contamination and reuse and or improper disposal of masks can also hinder their effectiveness and turn them into vehicles of spread.

There have even been questions about the effectiveness of N95 masks at protecting medical personnel. They’re considered effective at blocking coronavirus particles only when they’re form fitted and tested to make sure there isn’t any leakage. When I worked on a coronavirus ward, I felt much safer because I also wore a plastic face shield, which blocks viral particles from even reaching the mask.

So wear a mask if you must. But vigilant hand-washing and social distancing will protect you much better.

Dr. Siegel is a clinical professor of medicine and medical director of Doctor Radio at NYU Langone Health and a medical correspondent for Fox News.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2020, 08:06:34 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-a-face-mask-protect-you-11589842953

Will a Face Mask Protect You?
Maybe a little, but washing your hands and social distancing are far more effective.

By Marc Siegel
May 18, 2020 7:02 pm ET

Should you wear a face mask? Medical authorities have sent confusing messages. Both the U.S. surgeon general and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention exhorted Americans not to wear masks in January and February, then reversed themselves in April. Mask wearing is now mandatory in many workplaces and public spaces, but how much good does it do? The science is inconclusive, but probably not much.

It’s generally understood that surgical and cloth masks—as distinct from N95 masks, designed to filter fine particles—offer little or no protection to the wearer. The purpose of the mandates is to protect others by ensuring the covering of the face of anyone who is infected. A study published in Nature Medicine in April looked at 246 people with acute upper respiratory illness and found that wearing a surgical mask did decrease spread of genetic material from respiratory viruses, including coronaviruses. The researchers concluded: “We also demonstrated the efficacy of surgical masks to reduce coronavirus detection and viral copies in large respiratory droplets and in aerosols. . . . This has important implications for control of COVID-19, suggesting that surgical face masks could be used by ill people to reduce onward transmission.”

Yet another April study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, revealed that the force of sick patients’ coughs propelled droplets through both surgical masks as well as cloth masks.

What about asymptomatic patients? The CDC based its revised mask recommendation on studies that found asymptomatic spread was far more common than had been thought. But there have been no studies on masks’ effectiveness in preventing it. Although the coronavirus is highly contagious, it is much less so than, say, measles, which can linger in the air for two hours after a cough. a sneeze or even speech. By contrast, the Covid-19 virus has not been proved to be aerosolized. Coronaviruses often enter the body through the eyes, and frequent hand and face washing and social distancing is much more effective than masks at preventing that.

Wearing a mask seems harmless, but it could provide a false sense of security, leading people to take fewer precautions. According to the World Health Organization, self-contamination and reuse and or improper disposal of masks can also hinder their effectiveness and turn them into vehicles of spread.

There have even been questions about the effectiveness of N95 masks at protecting medical personnel. They’re considered effective at blocking coronavirus particles only when they’re form fitted and tested to make sure there isn’t any leakage. When I worked on a coronavirus ward, I felt much safer because I also wore a plastic face shield, which blocks viral particles from even reaching the mask.

So wear a mask if you must. But vigilant hand-washing and social distancing will protect you much better.

Dr. Siegel is a clinical professor of medicine and medical director of Doctor Radio at NYU Langone Health and a medical correspondent for Fox News.
Or wear a properly fitted N95, preferably with a face shield. That's what I do.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
Or wear a properly fitted N95, preferably with a face shield. That's what I do.
Only works if you're clean shaven.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2020, 10:29:34 AM »

I don’t understand how people wear this all day, my cloth bandana mask is uncomfortable to wear for even a few hours.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »
I don’t understand how people wear this all day, my cloth bandana mask is uncomfortable to wear for even a few hours.
Maybe that's because it is a cloth bandana mask.  The ones with the valves are much easier to use, especially long term, but then we'll get into the whole protection issue.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2020, 10:40:21 AM »
Maybe that's because it is a cloth bandana mask.  The ones with the valves are much easier to use, especially long term, but then we'll get into the whole protection issue.

I’m not talking about breathability, I’m talking about the sensory discomfort of having something pressed against your face like that.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2020, 02:25:17 PM »
Like everything in life, you get used to it. Though truthfully I dont wear it all day, only when I leave my house.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
What do bearded medical professionals do?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2020, 04:12:20 PM »
What do bearded medical professionals do?

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »

I don't think going to the grocery store like that is gonna work

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2020, 05:23:15 PM »
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-reinfections-were-false-positives.html

I think this is very relevant. My mother lost her sense of taste/smell 2 weeks before pesach, was better well before pesach (BH) and just got tested last week and shes the only one in our family(who all had symptoms-except one) who came back positive for COVID. it didnt make sense.

and i realize a similar article was posted here by @ari3
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:26:16 PM by justaregularguy »
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)