Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162946 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-patients-in-new-cluster-exhibiting-symptoms-differently-than-wuhan

Every part of this is concerning.

Between the fact that it’s Fox News, data out of China, and lung symptoms that don’t sound so different from garden-variety COVID-19, this sounds like fake news.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2020, 08:18:09 AM »
Between the fact that it’s Fox News, data out of China, and lung symptoms that don’t sound so different from garden-variety COVID-19, this sounds like fake news.

Also concerning  ;)

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2020, 08:21:23 AM »
Isn't Fox's agenda to downplay the virus and open the country? (My info is all secondhand via DDF.)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »
Isn't Fox's agenda to downplay the virus and open the country? (My info is all secondhand via DDF.)

Fox's agenda is to sow as much discord as possible, by gaslighting as many groups as they can. By highlighting extremes on both sides, the divide gets bigger. Another part of their agenda is making China look bad in any way and at any cost. This article plays to both of those things.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
Fox's agenda is to sow as much discord as possible, by gaslighting as many groups as they can. By highlighting extremes on both sides, the divide gets bigger. Another part of their agenda is making China look bad in any way and at any cost. This article plays to both of those things.
Not sure how you know that, but I see what you're saying.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2020, 06:56:11 PM »
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-patients-in-new-cluster-exhibiting-symptoms-differently-than-wuhan

Every part of this is concerning.
It is based on this from Bloomberg
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-20/china-sees-signs-new-cluster-carries-virus-longer-than-in-wuhan?srnd=prognosis

Qiu said that doctors have also noticed patients in the northeast cluster seem to have damage mostly in their lungs, whereas patients in Wuhan suffered multi-organ damage across the heart, kidney and gut.

Say what?

Which is an interview with the one who supposedly ran the Chinese response and seems to have acknowledged that they lied about it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/20/858712314/organ-transplants-down-as-stay-at-home-rules-reduce-fatal-traffic-collisions

I wonder if this will unfortunately cause people on the waiting list who normally might have gotten the organ they’re waiting for to die before it becomes available? That would be really sad.

ETA: OTOH, they’re getting organs of people dying in car accidents, so I guess it balances out considering those people aren’t crashing and dying. Still feels unfortunate for the organ recipients.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2020, 12:19:56 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/
This is really unbelievable. For anyone who thought the news has anything to do with reality.. this “scoop” has now been picked up by just about every major national outlet. That the CDC “recently changed their guidelines” to include this information.. can someone find the cached page and when they changed it? I’m not so internet savvy. But I can confidently say it was in April.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »
I wonder if this will unfortunately cause people on the waiting list who normally might have gotten the organ they’re waiting for to die before it becomes available? That would be really sad.
So we shouldn’t prevent car accident fatalities because then their organs won’t be available for donation, and now there will be more “lockdown induced deaths”?

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2020, 01:20:41 AM »
This is really unbelievable. For anyone who thought the news has anything to do with reality.. this “scoop” has now been picked up by just about every major national outlet. That the CDC “recently changed their guidelines” to include this information.. can someone find the cached page and when they changed it? I’m not so internet savvy. But I can confidently say it was in April.
I also thought I had seen this earlier.  The bottom of this page says "last reviewed April 13, 2020", so it must have been around then.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

Perhaps it's being resurrected now so that people will feel comfortable about going out into the world again.

Though I don't find it particularly clear or reassuring.  Touching surfaces is "not thought to be the main way the virus spreads"... but it is a minor way?  What does that mean?  Responsible for 1% of infections?  5%?  25%?  Would I be any less sick if I became infected in a non-main way?  What is this based on?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2020, 01:27:41 AM »
I also thought I had seen this earlier.  The bottom of this page says "last reviewed April 13, 2020", so it must have been around then.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

Perhaps it's being resurrected now so that people will feel comfortable about going out into the world again.

Though I don't find it particularly clear or reassuring.  Touching surfaces is "not thought to be the main way the virus spreads"... but it is a minor way?  What does that mean?  Responsible for 1% of infections?  5%?  25%?  Would I be any less sick if I became infected in a non-main way?  What is this based on?
Thank you! How nutty is that? The CDC had clearly had this on their website for over a month for crying out loud and every national news source is now trumpeting this like it’s major breaking news because some idiot at the Post didn’t read the fine print.

It’s the CDCs website, for goodness sake. How hard can it be to research that??

That’s the media for you.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2020, 07:22:20 AM »
So we shouldn’t prevent car accident fatalities because then their organs won’t be available for donation, and now there will be more “lockdown induced deaths”?

See my edit, still feels unfortunate for those on organ waiting lists.