Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162859 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2020, 11:28:24 PM »
So... the CDC changed the current best estimate of the IFR to .65% (which is much more in line with reality) without telling anyone. I’m waiting to hear some breathless news reports in another couple of weeks about this “breaking news”.

(They also assume that asymptomatic people are 75% as infectious as symptomatic people, and 50% of transmission occurs before symptoms appear).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html#box
Getting closer to my calculation...

Looks like a fatality rate of about 0.75% to me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #421 on: July 18, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-18/covid-most-of-world-to-face-virus-without-vaccine-expert-says

We have to find a way to open our community in a way that supports our long-term medical goal, which is the least number of casualties over time, knowing that you cannot avoid the spread of infection. There is no other tool available.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #422 on: July 18, 2020, 11:31:45 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-18/covid-most-of-world-to-face-virus-without-vaccine-expert-says
Interesting article, where he acknowledges that the wealthier countries are going to have a vaccine by the end of this year/beginning of next, although less connected countries may go months or a year before they have equal access. I highly doubt the WHO will be able to change DJT’s mind about that, so he’s probably right.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 19, 2020, 02:55:10 PM »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
Very low sample size, all of the data can be attributed to a single teen super spreader

Would I be wrong if I said that most MSM COVID-19 studies/facts/science/etc. is holding onto straws for confirmation bias?

For real science I like to read @biobook's summaries of Daniel Griffin on TWiV.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
Very low sample size, all of the data can be attributed to a single teen super spreader

Possible.

This is why younger people getting it matters in a huge way. What you do matters. What your kids do matters.

Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
Would I be wrong if I said that most MSM COVID-19 studies/facts/science/etc. is holding onto straws for confirmation bias?

Yes. Where did they get the initial opinion from that they're trying to confirm? Almost everything we believe now we already knew from Chinese doctors in January.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »

Yes, completely wrong. What are you talking about? What straws? Like the assumption that masks don’t work, that it’s not that deadly, that there are no long term effects?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
Yes. Where did they get the initial opinion from that they're trying to confirm? Almost everything we believe now we already knew from Chinese doctors in January.

Except that... we mostly don't know much and didn't know much in January.

There's a lot of guessing, but actual science? Did we know in January that blood clots are a major issue? That steroids and anti-coagulants save lives? That HCQ+Zinc+Azythromicin can work for many people?

Oh, we do know that several communities around NYC were very badly hit early on, suffered casualties, but despite largely ignoring social distancing, masks and other guidelines, have been able to go back to normal life without fear and without major reinfections and tragedies.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2020, 04:07:11 PM »
Except that... we mostly don't know much and didn't know much in January.

There's a lot of guessing, but actual science? Did we know in January that blood clots are a major issue? That steroids and anti-coagulants save lives? That HCQ+Zinc+Azythromicin can work for many people?

Oh, we do know that several communities around NYC were very badly hit early on, suffered casualties, but despite largely ignoring social distancing, masks and other guidelines, have been able to go back to normal life without fear and without major reinfections and tragedies.
🤦

We knew a lot in January, and we know more now, including (maybe) the two examples you gave.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 19, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »
🤦

We knew a lot in January, and we know more now, including (maybe) the two examples you gave.

-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
https://americanmind.org/essays/the-covid-coup/

Does your experience in CH correspond to his premise that this was a "manufacutred panic"?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
Does your experience in CH correspond to his premise that this was a "manufacutred panic"?

So now I actually have to read the article, rather than just glance through it, in order to provide a meaningful answer. I'll try to do that when I have a chance.

But just based on your question, without actually reading how it is written about in the article, and at the risk of being misunderstood, I will say that almost all panics are "manufactured".

Was there something terrible going on? Yes.
Was there very serious and real reason for concern? Absolutely.
Was the medical system overwhelmed, both by the volume of cases, as well as by their ignorance of how to properly treat them? A strong and resounding yes!
Does any of this justify panic? Not IMHO. Definitely not for someone striving to be a בעל אמונה ובטחון.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
So now I actually have to read the article, rather than just glance through it, in order to provide a meaningful answer. I'll try to do that when I have a chance.

But just based on your question, without actually reading how it is written about in the article, and at the risk of being misunderstood, I will say that almost all panics are "manufactured".

Was there something terrible going on? Yes.
Was there very serious and real reason for concern? Absolutely.
Was the medical system overwhelmed, both by the volume of cases, as well as by their ignorance of how to properly treat them? A strong and resounding yes!
Does any of this justify panic? Not IMHO. Definitely not for someone striving to be a בעל אמונה ובטחון.

Nahh you don't need to read it. The premise of the articlew is that this was about the same as the flu.

Re panic. I fully agree that nobody should panic. Everyone should be calm and collected and just take whatever precautions they need to. That is very appropriate for someone striving to be a בעל אמונה ובטחון.

Were some of the precautions implemeted by the power hungry way overboard? YES and then on top of that they had zero exit strategy.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »

@ExGingi   On what do you base your decision of whom to trust?  Why Dr Griffin, and not the doctors and scientists who write in newspapers or speak on tv, youtube or wherever?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 19, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
Were some of the precautions implemeted by the power hungry way overboard? YES and then on top of that they had zero exit strategy.

Right on the ball!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 19, 2020, 06:53:03 PM »
@ExGingi   On what do you base your decision of whom to trust?  Why Dr Griffin, and not the doctors and scientists who write in newspapers or speak on tv, youtube or wherever?

Good question. It might be a hunch, it might be something in the style and content. IINM he hasn't been shy to acknowledge shortcomings and lack of knowledge. I pick up bits and pieces from many places. I don't read newspapers or watch TV. Google News, Bloomberg.com, Twitter, and some Jewish Websites (DDF being one of them) are my news/information feeds. I tend to doubt anything that sounds like it has the absolute grasp of facts or truth.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 19, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »
Right on the ball!
That was so obvious and I have been saying this for months already.