Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162936 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #620 on: September 01, 2020, 12:15:54 AM »
That was my point. You are correct in NY/NJ, but in other places, there was a sensible reopening. Like I mentioned, Ohio had a staggered reopening startimg in may, and by mid June or so, everything reopened. However, they still require masks. To me, this shows seichel.
Benefits of living in a moderate republican state, most things are done with seichel, from COVID reopening to school choice in failing school districts. Plus your vote actually counts.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 01, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »

That was my point. You are correct in NY/NJ, but in other places, there was a sensible reopening. Like I mentioned, Ohio had a staggered reopening startimg in may, and by mid June or so, everything reopened. However, they still require masks. To me, this shows seichel. If you are in NY, you just have to be able to use your seichel, and separate the chaff from the grain. Something like masks, basic social distancing, and keeping parties (weddings, Kiddush, etc) small and outdoors is just common sense.

Your 100% correct, but if you look at the way things are done in ny/nj it makes sense why the frum community doesn't oblige so much.  But that's how it happened and where we are now...

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #622 on: September 01, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »

Your 100% correct, but if you look at the way things are done in ny/nj it makes sense why the frum community doesn't oblige so much.  But that's how it happened and where we are now...
I'm sorry but I expect our community to be better than saying ignore everything because Deblasio and Coumo are clowns. I am saddened that you have such low expectations of our community.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 01, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
I'm sorry but I expect our community to be better than saying ignore everything because Deblasio and Coumo are clowns. I am saddened that you have such low expectations of our community.
+

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 01, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »
Especially when you have mainstream doctors now saying to wear masks. Will anything now change?

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 01, 2020, 08:52:29 AM »
Especially when you have mainstream doctors now saying to wear masks. Will anything now change?
No
["-"]

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #626 on: September 01, 2020, 09:11:50 AM »
No

Unfortunately, not until we start collecting for the first yesomim. Cases start increasing? Eh, it's not so bad, most of us already had it, it'll be fine. The first deaths get announced? Oy, it's sad, but they were old, they were sick, they should have been more careful, but for the rest of us, it's really unnecessary. Someone young enough to leave yesomim dies? Ok, nu, I'm going to be fine, but maybe we should wear masks. You know, my uncle, my brother-in-law, my niece... this one is overweight, high cholesterol, diabetes, asthma.

The frum community does amazing things. When things go south, no other people can mobilize like we do. Even just this year, the blood drives, the food drives, the tzedaka campaigns, the Pesach help, the financial resources and guidance - mi k'amcha Yisroel! Preventative measures... not so much. There's a reason it says Chacham einav b'roishoi. If seeing into the future and taking proactive measures was regular human nature, we wouldn't be promoting such people as chachamim.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 01, 2020, 09:36:53 AM »
Issue really is, that there is no game plane and no end in sight. Masks in the US are not really worn by anyone important so it just gives off mixed vibes. If there was a legitimate game plan I think people would he much more apt to following. The fact that the rules don't apply to anyone in government etc.. just shows its one big joke. Which it is. I t was stay home save lives, people died alone, families couldn't see loved ones, people sick in hospitals alone. All of a sudden that changed with the blm stuff which showed it truly was a joke, and fast forward a few months with no leadership or no direction and welcome to ny sept 2020, 7 months into a pandemic with no game plan.
Atleast fed government has a plan, move on with life and get everyone jobs, local governments don't even have that.
You mean like the mayor of Philadelphia who banned indoor dining in his city because it was too dangerous, decimating the restaurant industry, but was caught in a restaurant across the border in Maryland eating indoors with no mask and no social distancing?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiOJsPjtq1/

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #628 on: September 01, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »
You mean like the mayor of Philadelphia who banned indoor dining in his city because it was too dangerous, decimating the restaurant industry, but was caught in a restaurant across the border in Maryland eating indoors with no mask and no social distancing?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiOJsPjtq1/

Never in my life have I seen the frum community look at elected officials with such reverence! When Spitzer was playing with his women, that gave us a free pass to follow his lead? Since when are politicians our role models???
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 01, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »
Never in my life have I seen the frum community look at elected officials with such reverence! When Spitzer was playing with his women, that gave us a free pass to follow his lead? Since when are politicians our role models???
It’s a bit different. It’s not a universally accepted fact that restaurant dining is unsafe in any form. The vast majority of locales allow some form of indoor dining. He is the one who declared it too dangerous to allow.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #630 on: September 01, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
It’s a bit different. It’s not a universally accepted fact that restaurant dining is unsafe in any form. The vast majority of locales allow some form of indoor dining. He is the one who declared it too dangerous to allow.
But the fact that mask wearing lowers transmission *is* a universally accepted fact by all doctors in all places yet frum people in NY/NJ are running around convinced it’s debatable and they probably don’t even work, with some believing that most doctors don’t even agree with it.

I’ve heard the most mind-blowing opinions. Last night I overheard someone explaining heatedly how masks are stupid, because you’re just inhaling carbon dioxide instead which is more dangerous than COVID. I know most don’t have a full general education but maybe the schools could arrange a crash course in science to explain a few basic concepts that some seem to have trouble with?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 01, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »

I’ve heard the most mind-blowing opinions. Last night I overheard someone explaining heatedly how masks are stupid, because you’re just inhaling carbon dioxide instead which is more dangerous than COVID. I know most don’t have a full general education but maybe the schools could arrange a crash course in science to explain a few basic concepts that some seem to have trouble with?

To be fair, seems like he releases an inordinate amount of hot air.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 01, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »
But the fact that mask wearing lowers transmission *is* a universally accepted fact by all doctors in all places yet frum people in NY/NJ are running around convinced it’s debatable and they probably don’t even work, with some believing that most doctors don’t even agree with it.

I’ve heard similar quoted from someone quite significant in Lakewood.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:20:16 PM by Yard sale »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #633 on: September 01, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
Unreal. How removed are these people from any medical opinions whatsoever? Can't they just PUTPAC someone?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 02, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
Is it one of the significant anti-vaxxers?

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 02, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
Is it one of the significant anti-vaxxers?
Along with the claim that no one died from covid; they were all killed by the doctors and hospitals.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 02, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »
Along with the claim that no one died from covid; they were all killed by the doctors and hospitals.
Is that a yes?

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 02, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »
Yes would mean I heard it first person

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 02, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
I know for a fact that someone in the family of hugely influential person in town who's an anti vaxxer had a severe case of Covid in April (hatzolah was needed multiple times). Hope it's not the same person who's saying these things.