Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162916 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #1000 on: December 09, 2020, 12:23:18 AM »
Immediately, or by June (when it will be freely available to all, hundreds of millions will have been vaccinated worldwide, and businesses will require certification to be serviced)?
Will enough get it to satisfy Comrade Linda Rosenthal

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1001 on: December 09, 2020, 12:33:24 AM »
Will enough get it to satisfy Comrade Linda Rosenthal
By June/July? Yes, definitely.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1002 on: December 09, 2020, 12:35:12 AM »
Now you’ll have people coming back for doubles & triples.
This discriminates against poor people by forcing them to vaccinate sooner than the rich

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 09, 2020, 02:41:34 AM »

Though it doesn't answer the specific study he wanted, which was "Let's take a group of people with a known exposure to a positive case, isolate them for two weeks to prevent a second exposure, and conduct repeated PCR tests during this time to determine how long it takes for the first positive test to appear." 

I haven't found any study to answer that particular question, but probably for good reason - it would be a waste of time and tests in pursuit of a point of information that is not really practically useful now.  More important is to monitor time since infection and possible symptoms, rather than testing for the virus.   

As to @biobook's assertion that such a study is a waste of time, that is beyond me. I would argue that it would be an extremely useful study, as it would enable improved accuracy of quarantine requirements, showing goodwill of kinds to people who are experiencing draconian measures, enabling more of a back-to-normal life, without any increased risk to public health. On the contrary, people are more likely to comply if they have a reasonable route to a quicker way out of it.
Maybe I'm still misunderstanding you. 
Until now, if someone had been exposed to a positive case, they were told to isolate for 14 days, and you wanted to do more testing, so they could leave isolation earlier.  But now the CDC okays leaving isolation on day 7 with a single test. 
I don't see how further testing could get you out of isolation earlier. 

Days 1-2 after exposure, a negative test just means that the virus hasn't yet multiplied enough to be measurable. 
Days 3-4 a negative test could be you weren't infected, but could be a false negative and you were infected, so you need to wait to see if symptoms occur, which are most likely by day 5.  If no symptoms on day 5, and a test is negative, you can leave isolation 2 days later.  (In practice, it may take 2 days just to get the results of the test.)  This hardly seems "draconian".
When do you think additional testing would be beneficial?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1004 on: December 09, 2020, 09:14:32 AM »
Maybe I'm still misunderstanding you. 
Until now, if someone had been exposed to a positive case, they were told to isolate for 14 days, and you wanted to do more testing, so they could leave isolation earlier.  But now the CDC okays leaving isolation on day 7 with a single test. 
I don't see how further testing could get you out of isolation earlier. 

Days 1-2 after exposure, a negative test just means that the virus hasn't yet multiplied enough to be measurable. 
Days 3-4 a negative test could be you weren't infected, but could be a false negative and you were infected, so you need to wait to see if symptoms occur, which are most likely by day 5.  If no symptoms on day 5, and a test is negative, you can leave isolation 2 days later.  (In practice, it may take 2 days just to get the results of the test.)  This hardly seems "draconian".
When do you think additional testing would be beneficial?

Isolation is a draconian measure.

Getting a large scale study with daily testing could indicate the point at which it is safe to exit isolation. Once that is known, just test everyone who is sent to isolation at that point and release all negatives.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1005 on: December 09, 2020, 11:14:40 AM »

Getting a large scale study with daily testing could indicate the point at which it is safe to exit isolation. Once that is known, just test everyone who is sent to isolation at that point and release all negatives.
But where are you thinking it may be able to be streamlined?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline biobook

• View Profile

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 09, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »

Could you expand on that?  What about staying home for a week seems unusually severe or repressive?  It's not unusual for someone to do that, when sick with the flu/bronchitis/pneumonia.  And it seems like a small request, considering the many people who've been somewhat isolated for 8 months.

That's exactly what we have.  It's safe to exit isolation at 7 days.  Everyone is sent to isolation, tested at 5-7 days, and if negative, they're released.  It's still not clear what additional information you're looking for.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #1009 on: December 09, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »
It’s very wrong. Let capitalism do its part. When vaccines are freely available to all the government’s job is over.

I still think capitalism will soon enough make it hard to function without being vaccinated.
Good luck traveling, attending events, and sending your children to school.

Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1010 on: December 09, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »
It seems you didn’t understand what I meant by “let capitalism do its part”.

I meant exactly what I said later: capitalism will cause enough people to become vaccinated without the government butting in.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:30 PM »
Agreed. I think a government mandate is a terrible idea, mostly because at 95% efficacy you’re safe enough without mandating that others comply.

I still think capitalism will soon enough make it hard to function without being vaccinated. Good luck traveling, attending events, and sending your children to school.
Correct (but don’t tell @henche ).

Having the government not allowing you to travel, send your kids to school, or attend an event without being vaccinated and then calling subsequent vaccination rates non interventionist capitalism is oxymoronic.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 09, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
Having the government not allowing you to travel, send your kids to school, or attend an event without being vaccinated and then calling subsequent vaccination rates non interventionist capitalism is oxymoronic.
He's claiming the government won't forbid anything and the businesses will exercise their Capitalist rights and interest to only serve people who are vaccinating.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1013 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »
That’s not what I said.
He's claiming the government won't forbid anything and the businesses will exercise their Capitalist rights and interest to only serve people who are vaccinating.
Exactly

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 09, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »

Businesses exercised their capitalist right to keep middle seats empty on fights, to prevent infection and to keep their customers feeling secure. Then, when booking levels rose above 66% of the seats, they exercised their capitalist right to summarily throw these policies out the window at 38,000 feet.

Between 35%-55% of Americans are not really interested in taking vaccine now. I would guess that with a 95% efficacy, at least 80% of vaccinated people would feel perfectly comfortable going to a gathering or traveling on mass transit without vaccine mandates. The laissez faire capitalist math from a business perspective is pretty simple - vaccine mandates are bad for business. I wouldn't bet on them enforcing it without governmental regulation. In fact, I'd wager heavily against it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1015 on: December 09, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »
Businesses exercised their capitalist right to keep middle seats empty on fights, to prevent infection and to keep their customers feeling secure. Then, when booking levels rose above 66% of the seats, they exercised their capitalist right to summarily throw these policies out the window at 38,000 feet.

Between 35%-55% of Americans are not really interested in taking vaccine now. I would guess that with a 95% efficacy, at least 80% of vaccinated people would feel perfectly comfortable going to a gathering or traveling on mass transit without vaccine mandates. The laissez faire capitalist math from a business perspective is pretty simple - vaccine mandates are bad for business. I wouldn't bet on them enforcing it without governmental regulation. In fact, I'd wager heavily against it.
You can also opine that mask mandates are bad for business, and yet all of the airlines think the opposite is true.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 09, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »
You can also opine that mask mandates are bad for business, and yet all of the airlines think the opposite is true.
A vaccine allows anyone concerned to get one and be done when of the person next to them is infected. Without mask mandates they are stuck.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 09, 2020, 09:38:12 PM »
A vaccine allows anyone concerned to get one and be done when of the person next to them is infected. Without mask mandates they are stuck.
Depends if the data holds up and how long the vaccines work for, but I agree with you in principle and posted it upthread.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 09, 2020, 09:39:33 PM »
Depends if the data holds up and how long the vaccines work for, but I agree with you in principle and posted it upthread.
If they don't work then there is no benefit in mandating them so either way there is no real reason for them to do it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 09, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
If they don't work then there is no benefit in mandating them so either way there is no real reason for them to do it.
If the vaccines work 70% or they wane off it would make a huge difference how many people are vaccinated.