Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 165710 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #1160 on: January 25, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
Do you really think that a "scientific" solution will come about faster than Moshiach once the entire world acknowledges the this is 100% in G-d's control?

That's one possibility. Right now the political power struggles that are going on are hindering whatever scientific progress can be made.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1161 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
That's one possibility. Right now the political power struggles that are going on are hindering whatever scientific progress can be made.

Someone's controlling that too.... Part of a grand scheme.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 25, 2021, 11:52:48 AM »
Someone's controlling that too.... Part of a grand scheme.

Interesting perspective. How is this actionable?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1163 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »

הדרך הישרה וכו׳
-- Dan

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 25, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »
And back to interesting articles, which is ostensibly what this thread is about:

We may need to vaccinate pets as well as people:
https://www.the-sun.com/news/2202907/cats-and-dogs-covid-vaccine/   

Moderna working on a booster shot against one of the mutations that its vaccine offers suboptimal protection:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/moderna-developing-vaccine-booster-shot-against-virus-strain-first-identified-in-south-africa-11611581400 -

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 25, 2021, 01:34:36 PM »
So long as Moshiach hasn't arrived and the world works scientifically,
Not sure why anybody would think the world won't work scientifically after Moshiach comes. Perhaps there will be more interference from Hashem but the fundamental rules of nature are not expected to change. We will still need to do hishtadlus to prevent illness just like we eat to provide nourishment.

Those who think Emuna is somehow contradictory to science have a serious flaw in their belief. Science works because Hashem gave it the powers. He can override it but he doesn't always do so.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 25, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »
Not sure why anybody would think the world won't work scientifically after Moshiach comes. Perhaps there will be more interference from Hashem but the fundamental rules of nature are not expected to change. We will still need to do hishtadlus to prevent illness just like we eat to provide nourishment.

Those who think Emuna is somehow contradictory to science have a serious flaw in their belief. Science works because Hashem gave it the powers. He can override it but he doesn't always do so.
If most of the world comes to hakaras haboreh through this pandemic - I find it hard to believe this wouldn't bring mashiach. And if that IYH does come too pass - I find it unlikely that COVID wouldn't disappear
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 25, 2021, 02:11:01 PM »

ויכוין בהנחתם שצונו הקב"ה לכתוב ד' פרשיות אלו שיש בהם יחוד שמו ויציאת מצרים כדי שנזכור נסים ונפלאות שעשה עמנו שהם מורים על יחודו ואשר לו הכח והממשלה לעשות בעליונים ובתחתונים כרצונו. וצונו להניחן על הזרוע כנגד הלב ועל הראש נגד המוח כדי שנשעבד הנשמה שהיא במוח וגם תאוות ומחשבות לבנו לעבודתו יתברך שע"י הנחת תפילין יזכור את הבורא וימעיט הנאותיו:

כימי צאתך מארץ מצרים אראנו נפלאות
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 25, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
If most of the world comes to hakaras haboreh through this pandemic - I find it hard to believe this wouldn't bring mashiach.

היינו הך!

עולם = העלם, concealing the בורא.

גאולה = revealing the א which signifies אלופו של עולם within גולה.

ימות המשיח are about the world remaining a world, but rather than concealing אלקות in a way that things can seem to exist and happen independent of הקב"ה c"v, the opposite will be the case where the מציאות of הקב"ה will be clearly visible through every aspect of the world. (COVID is probably a prep for this).
-- Dan

Offline iluv2travel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 25, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »

There are many different שיטות on how the world will look after Moshiach comes.  Your version may be one of them.  However, there are definitely many that say that in the times of Moshiach there will be rules of nature that will be changed.  For starters, the dead will awaken (tchiyas hameisim, which is definitely outside of the natural realm) as well as that all sicknesses will be healed - the blind will be able to see, the deaf will be able to hear and also anyone suffering from any ailment including but not limited to, cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, alzheimers, etc will be cured.  So you can rest assured that those with COVID will be cured as well.  According to this there will be no death and illnesses experienced any longer on this world.

I have no idea who is right and what will actually be.  Nobody does.  And it won't help us to continue to debate Teva vs Nes or how exactly the world will operate when Moshiach comes.  We should just be zoicheh already for it to happen and we'll find out in real time.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: January 25, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
There are many different שיטות on how the world will look after Moshiach comes.  Your version may be one of them.  However, there are definitely many that say that in the times of Moshiach there will be rules of nature that will be changed.  For starters, the dead will awaken (tchiyas hameisim, which is definitely outside of the natural realm) as well as that all sicknesses will be healed - the blind will be able to see, the deaf will be able to hear and also anyone suffering from any ailment including but not limited to, cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, alzheimers, etc will be cured.  So you can rest assured that those with COVID will be cured as well.  According to this there will be no death and illnesses experienced any longer on this world.

I have no idea who is right and what will actually be.  Nobody does.  And it won't help us to continue to debate Teva vs Nes or how exactly the world will operate when Moshiach comes.  We should just be zoicheh already for it to happen and we'll find out in real time.

As @Dan would say: Porque no los dos?

The common הכרעה of תורת החסידות is that there are likely to be two periods of ימות המשיח, the first will be עולם כמנהגו נוהג while the latter will be beyond (or a changing of) the rules of nature. As pointed above, it is not for nothing the the word גאולה has the word גולה embedded in it in its entirety. The גאולה האמיתית והשלימה isn't about wrecking גלות, but rather about revealing אלקות within the same framework, in a way that said framework turns from a concealment of אלקות into a revelation of אלקות.
-- Dan

Online flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 25, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
What part of that perspective do you find interesting? It seems to be classical Jewish thought.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: January 25, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »

But I didn’t say Covid wouldn’t be cured or the rules of nature won’t change. I said the world would continue to work scientifically. Does anybody dispute that?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 25, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »
But I didn’t say Covid wouldn’t be cured or the rules of nature won’t change. I said the world would continue to work scientifically. Does anybody dispute that?

You did say that we would still need to do hishtadlus to prevent illness, but if there isn't going to be any more illnesses after Moshiach comes why do we need to do anything to prevent them?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 25, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »
You did say that we would still need to do hishtadlus to prevent illness, but if there isn't going to be any more illnesses after Moshiach comes why do we need to do anything to prevent them?
AFAIK the sources discuss a universal healing at some point. Does anybody say that afterwards there won't be any future illness that hishtadlus will be necessary to prevent?

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: January 25, 2021, 07:01:29 PM »
AFAIK the sources discuss a universal healing at some point. Does anybody say that afterwards there won't be any future illness that hishtadlus will be necessary to prevent?

I recall that yes, but I don't have a source for you so will not definitively say so.

If I may ask, what exactly would be the point of a universal healing if afterwards we revert back to being able to contract all the various illnesses and maladies we currently suffer from?  Isn't part of our hope for Moshiach's coming so that we won't have to deal with them anymore רחמנא ליצלן?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 25, 2021, 07:15:45 PM »
I recall that yes, but I don't have a source for you so will not definitively say so.

If I may ask, what exactly would be the point of a universal healing if afterwards we revert back to being able to contract all the various illnesses and maladies we currently suffer from?  Isn't part of our hope for Moshiach's coming so that we won't have to deal with them anymore רחמנא ליצלן?
Our hope for Moshiach to come should be about increased Avoidas Hashem, it's not a Disney story of a fairytale prince coming to fix all our problems. The world was specifically created to have hardship and pain and thus make the reward feel earned.

IINM the Gemara in Sanhedrin discusses universal healing in the context of permanently maimed and disabled people, so in a way it is part of their Geula. I don't know of any opinion that sickness/hishtadlus will no longer exist, and most certainly not one where the world won't work scientifically. The sun rising in the morning and setting at night is science.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 25, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »
Our hope for Moshiach to come should be about increased Avoidas Hashem, it's not a Disney story of a fairytale prince coming to fix all our problems. The world was specifically created to have hardship and pain and thus make the reward feel earned.

IINM the Gemara in Sanhedrin discusses universal healing in the context of permanently maimed and disabled people, so in a way it is part of their Geula. I don't know of any opinion that sickness/hishtadlus will no longer exist, and most certainly not one where the world won't work scientifically. The sun rising in the morning and setting at night is science.

That's why I wrote "part".  We also hope for the rebuilding of the Beis Hamikdash and for the shechinah to return to Har Habayis and a lot of other stuff we say in our prayers daily.

I would need to look into this further to see what the sources say about sicknesses and illnesses post Moshiach coming so I can't comment further.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
@PlatinumGuy, you seem to have forgotten at the moment one of the most famous pieces of רמב׳׳ן בפרשת בחוקותי.

אבל אלו הברכות שבפרשה הזאת הן כלליות בעם והן בהיות כל עמנו כלם צדיקים ולכך יזכיר תמיד בכאן הארץ ונתנה הארץ לבטח בארצכם שלום בארץ מן הארץ לא תעבור בארצכם וכבר בארנו כי כל אלה הברכות כולם נסים אין בטבע שיבאו הגשמים ויהיה השלום לנו מן האויבים ויבא מורך בלבם לנוס מאה מפני חמשה בעשותנו החוקים והמצות ולא שיהיה הכל היפך מפני זרענו השנה השביעית ואף על פי שהם נסים נסתרים שעולם כמנהגו נוהג עמהם אבל הם מתפרסמים מצד היותם תמיד לעולם בכל הארץ כי אם הצדיק האחד יחיה ויסיר ה' מחלה מקרבו וימלא ימיו יקרה גם זה בקצת רשעים אבל שתהיה ארץ אחת כולה ועם אחד תמיד ברדת הגשם בעתו ושובע ושלוה ושלום ובריאות וגבורה ושברון האויבים בענין שאין כמוהו בכל העולם יוודע לכל כי מאת ה' היתה זאת ועל כן אמר (דברים כח י) וראו כל עמי הארץ כי שם ה' נקרא עליך ויראו ממך והיפך זה יהיה בקללות בעונשי הארץ שאמר (פסוק יט) ונתתי את שמיכם כברזל ועונשי החולי כמו שאמר (דברים כח נט) וחלאים רעים ונאמנים שיקולל המאכל ויחליא ויתפרסם הנס בהיותו תמיד קיים בכולם על כן כתוב (שם כט כא) ואמר הדור האחרון בניכם אשר יקומו מאחריכם והנכרי אשר יבא מארץ רחוקה וראו את מכות הארץ ההיא ואת תחלואיה שלא יתמהו באיש ההוא אשר רבצה בו כל האלה (שם פסוק יט) כי כן יהיה פעמים רבים כמנהגו של עולם בכל האומות שיבאו מקרים רעים באיש אחד רק בארץ ההיא יתמהו וישאלו כל הגוים על מה עשה ה' ככה לארץ הזאת (שם פסוק כג) כי כולם יראו וידעו כי יד ה' עשתה זאת ויאמרו (שם פסוק כד) על אשר עזבו את ברית ה' אלהי אבותם והכלל כי בהיות ישראל שלמים והם רבים לא יתנהג ענינם בטבע כלל לא בגופם ולא בארצם לא בכללם ולא ביחיד מהם כי יברך השם לחמם ומימם ויסיר מחלה מקרבם עד שלא יצטרכו לרופא ולהשתמר בדרך מדרכי הרפואות כלל כמו שאמר (שמות טו כו) כי אני ה' רופאך וכן היו הצדיקים עושים בזמן הנבואה גם כי יקרם עון שיחלו לא ידרשו ברופאים רק בנביאים כענין חזקיהו בחלותו (מ"ב כ ב ג) ואמר הכתוב (דהי"ב טז יב) גם בחליו לא דרש את ה' כי ברופאים ואילו היה דבר הרופאים נהוג בהם מה טעם שיזכיר הרופאים אין האשם רק בעבור שלא דרש השם אבל הוא כאשר יאמר אדם לא אכל פלוני מצה בחג המצות כי אם חמץ אבל הדורש השם בנביא לא ידרוש ברופאים ומה חלק לרופאים בבית עושי רצון השם אחר שהבטיח (שמות כג כה) וברך את לחמך ואת מימיך והסירותי מחלה מקרבך והרופאים אין מעשיהם רק על המאכל והמשקה להזהיר ממנו ולצוות עליו וכך אמרו (ברכות סד) כל עשרין ותרתין שנין דמלך רבה רב יוסף אפילו אומנא לביתיה לא קרא והמשל להם (במדב"ר ט ג) תרעא דלא פתיח למצותא פתיח לאסיא והוא מאמרם (ברכות ס) שאין דרכם של בני אדם ברפואות אלא שנהגו שאילו לא היה דרכם ברפואות יחלה האדם כפי אשר יהיה עליו עונש חטאו ויתרפא ברצון ה' אבל הם נהגו ברפואות והשם הניחם למקרי הטבעים וזו היא כונתם באמרם (שם) ורפא ירפא מכאן שנתנה רשות לרופא לרפאות לא אמרו שנתנה רשות לחולה להתרפאות אלא כיון שחלה החולה ובא להתרפאות כי נהג ברפואות והוא לא היה מעדת השם שחלקם בחיים אין לרופא לאסור עצמו מרפואתו לא מפני חשש שמא ימות בידו אחרי שהוא בקי במלאכה ההיא ולא בעבור שיאמר כי השם לבדו הוא רופא כל בשר שכבר נהגו ועל כן האנשים הנצים שהכו זה את זה באבן או באגרוף (שמות כא יח) יש על המכה תשלומי הרפואה כי התורה לא תסמוך דיניה על הנסים כאשר אמרה (דברים טו יא) כי לא יחדל אביון מקרב הארץ מדעתו שכן יהיה אבל ברצות השם דרכי איש אין לו עסק ברופאים

"וטעם והתהלכתי בתוככם" - שתהיה הנהגתי בכם מפורסמת כמלך מתהלך בקרב מחנהו מספיק להם כל צרכם וזה דרך דברי הברית כפשוטן והוא אמת וכך יעשה בהן בודאי ולא הזכיר הכתוב בכאן שכר קיום הנפשות בעולם הנשמות ובעולם הבא אחרי תחית המתים כי קיומן מחויב בדרך היצירה כמו שפירשתי בכריתות (לעיל יח כט) והעונש הוא שמכרית החייבים מהם והשאר כולם יתקיימו בדרך יצירתם אבל על דרך האמת הברכות האלה עוד הם ברכות שמים בעליונים כמו שפירשתי ונתתי שלום בארץ ולא תגעל נפשי אתכם וכן והתהלכתי בתוככם רמז למדה שקראו רבותינו שכינה מן ונתתי משכני בתוככם ואומרים (מנחות פו) שכינה שורה בישראל ואמרו בבראשית רבה (יט יג) עיקר שכינה בתחתונים היתה והנה הוזכר כאן גן עדן והעולם הבא ליודעיו ואלה הברכות בתשלומיהן לא תהיינה רק בהיות כל ישראל עושין רצון אביהם ובנין שמים וארץ שלם על מכונתו ואין בתורה ברכות שלמות כאלה שהם דברי הברית והתנאים אשר בין הקב"ה ובינינו ודע כי לא השיגו ישראל מעולם לברכות האלה בשלמותן לא הרבים ולא היחידים מהם שלא עלתה זכותם לכך כמו שאמרו (מו"ק טז) על דוד (והוא עורר את חניתו) על שמונה מאות חלל והיה מצטער על מאתים יצתה בת קול ואמרה לו רק בדבר אוריה החתי (מלכים טו ה) ועל כן תמצא לרבותינו ז"ל שיזכירו בפסוקים האלה לעתיד לבוא מלמד שתינוק מישראל עתיד להיות מושיט וכו' (תו"כ פרק ב ב) עתיד הקב"ה לטייל עם הצדיקים לעתיד לבוא (שם פרק ג ג) כי לא נתקיים אבל יתקיים עמנו בזמן השלמות

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 25, 2021, 09:44:39 PM »
@PlatinumGuy, you seem to have forgotten at the moment one of the most famous pieces of רמב׳׳ן בפרשת בחוקותי.
You're right. Thank you.