Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162832 times)

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #1480 on: August 26, 2021, 11:36:52 AM »
Never heard of this taking off (can I guess that those who stood to lose money to other methods blocked it?). But now comes this:

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1430863622213935104?s=20

Let's see if this will take off. My guess: it won't since it has the potential to put a huge curb on COVID-19. The political withdrawal syndrome is too strong to allow this.
Perhaps, maybe, efsher bec trained dogs don't scale nearly as well as something that can be massed produced in a factory

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #1481 on: August 26, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »
Let's see if this will take off. My guess: it won't since it has the potential to put a huge curb on COVID-19. The political withdrawal syndrome is too strong to allow this.

Unless they can identify individuals in a crowd, this is of very limited utility.

All it'll accomplish is dispersing crowds where spread might have happened, without actually identifying the spreaders.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1482 on: August 26, 2021, 01:04:23 PM »
Perhaps, maybe, efsher bec trained dogs don't scale nearly as well as something that can be massed produced in a factory

The rapid results and non-intrusive testing more than compensate.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1483 on: August 26, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
Unless they can identify individuals in a crowd, this is of very limited utility.

All it'll accomplish is dispersing crowds where spread might have happened, without actually identifying the spreaders.

It can be a lot more effective at airports, entrances to venues, public transpotation, etc. Think about all the places where they do (or did at a certain point) a temperature or document check.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1484 on: August 26, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »

It can be a lot more effective at airports, entrances to venues, public transpotation, etc. Think about all the places where they do (or did at a certain point) a temperature or document check.

If you think of this pandemic as being largely driven by superspreaders and superspreader events, dog detectors could be an absolute game changer.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1486 on: August 28, 2021, 09:46:28 PM »

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1487 on: August 28, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »
Related to the little weasel (Judge James Shapiro)?  :)
If the kid has had adverse reactions this seems like a no-brainer.
This would be an interesting case if it was a normal healthy kid with no allergic reactions.
Is she putting the kid at risk? I would say yes. Should she lose parental rights, not sure.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 28, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »
Related to the little weasel (Judge James Shapiro)?  :)
If the kid has had adverse reactions this seems like a no-brainer.
This would be an interesting case if it was a normal healthy kid with no allergic reactions.
Is she putting the kid at risk? I would say yes. Should she lose parental rights, not sure.

I think you misunderstood. She doesn't want to get herself vaccinated because of her history of adverse reactions to vaccines.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 28, 2021, 10:45:31 PM »
I think you misunderstood. She doesn't want to get herself vaccinated because of her history of adverse reactions to vaccines.
That is what I get for listening to others and not reading the article.

That is a tough one. I think the appellate will rule she gets custody back with restrictions.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 28, 2021, 11:05:03 PM »
Is the child high risk or immunocompromised ?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:07 AM »
Is the child high risk or immunocompromised ?

The entire concept of vaccination wasn't even brought up by the other side, so I doubt the kid had any special circumstances warranting the order. IMO, this is extremely dangerous territory. It's one thing for a workplace or school to force people to make a choice between vaccinating and finding another place to work/learn. It's quite another to force parents to make a choice between vaccinating or not being able to see their kids. IINM, this is unprecedented and may be the biggest infringement on parental rights in this country's history.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 29, 2021, 09:04:23 AM »
The entire concept of vaccination wasn't even brought up by the other side, so I doubt the kid had any special circumstances warranting the order. IMO, this is extremely dangerous territory. It's one thing for a workplace or school to force people to make a choice between vaccinating and finding another place to work/learn. It's quite another to force parents to make a choice between vaccinating or not being able to see their kids. IINM, this is unprecedented and may be the biggest infringement on parental rights in this country's history.
What if it was brought up by one of the parents as a reason to limit the other parents custody? He/she is putting my child in danger?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 29, 2021, 09:12:23 AM »
Is there any current Cook County or Illinois state law that says people who don’t vaccinate will have their children taken away ? Why is this only at a custody hearing ?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 29, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
Is there any current Cook County or Illinois state law that says people who don’t vaccinate will have their children taken away ? Why is this only at a custody hearing ?
They have laws against endangering a child.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 29, 2021, 09:25:58 AM »
What if it was brought up by one of the parents as a reason to limit the other parents custody? He/she is putting my child in danger?

They would have to prove the danger, which I don't think they can do. It would also open the door to attempts to restrict parents from doing anything with their children with any hint of danger, including driving, flying, swimming, playing organized sports, and a myriad of other mundane activities.

I think this judge became an activist and used the bench as his personal bully pulpit. I don't know if there are any vaccination/custody laws on the books anywhere in this country. I don't see how they would be constitutional.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 29, 2021, 09:31:32 AM »
They would have to prove the danger, which I don't think they can do. It would also open the door to attempts to restrict parents from doing anything with their children with any hint of danger, including driving, flying, swimming, playing organized sports, and a myriad of other mundane activities.

I think this judge became an activist and used the bench as his personal bully pulpit. I don't know if there are any vaccination/custody laws on the books anywhere in this country. I don't see how they would be constitutional.
What about child riding a bike with out a helmet? Is that putting the child in danger?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 29, 2021, 09:40:00 AM »
They have laws against endangering a child.
Is there currently any written law that states that not being vaccinated= endangering the welfare of a child ?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 29, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »
He had a brain fart & thought he was in China.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 29, 2021, 09:43:56 AM »
Is there currently any written law that states that not being vaccinated= endangering the welfare of a child ?
I am just pointing out this is an interesting angle. I can see a case being made that not get your child vaccinated is endangering that child even if I don't agree with it. In a custody case everything is considered.

"State laws often categorize child endangerment as placing a child in a situation that might endanger the child's life, health, welfare, morals, or emotional well-being. However, child endangerment may still be charged in cases where the actions of the caregiver did eventually result in the child being physically injured or harmed."