Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 165760 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #1503 on: August 29, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Why does this need to happen?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/caleb-wallace-anti-mask-freedom-rally-organizer-dies-at-30-with-covid/ar-AANQY7H?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Because people are stupid. It doesn't help when media still can't get the facts right about Covid and treatment options, like this nugget in the article:

and Ivermectin -- a parasitic worm treatment intended for animals that is not FDA-approved.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1504 on: August 29, 2021, 10:24:49 AM »
I am just pointing out this is an interesting angle. I can see a case being made that not get your child vaccinated is endangering that child even if I don't agree with it. In a custody case everything is considered.

"State laws often categorize child endangerment as placing a child in a situation that might endanger the child's life, health, welfare, morals, or emotional well-being. However, child endangerment may still be charged in cases where the actions of the caregiver did eventually result in the child being physically injured or harmed."
What about child riding a bike with out a helmet? Is that putting the child in danger?

It's a very slippery slope. Is feeding a kid fast-food any safer than letting him ride a bike without a helmet? What about letting her use any of the millions of products with the CA-mandated "may cause cancer" warnings on them? IMO, unless the danger is very clear and very significant, you can't interfere with parental rights.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 29, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
And don’t forget driving above the speed limit with kids in the car & smoking around the kids.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 29, 2021, 10:52:12 AM »
And don’t forget driving above the speed limit...
What about reckless driving?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 29, 2021, 12:22:49 PM »
They have laws against endangering a child.
Surely if not being vaccinated is endangering the child there must be many states at the very least mandating masks in your own house if unvaccinated. Can you name a few ?
Judge Brainfart didn’t even go the mask route. Just deny her the rights to her child. Pretty vile way to get some free publicity.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 29, 2021, 01:03:49 PM »
Surely if not being vaccinated is endangering the child there must be many states at the very least mandating masks in your own house if unvaccinated. Can you name a few ?
Judge Brainfart didn’t even go the mask route. Just deny her the rights to her child. Pretty vile way to get some free publicity.
We are not on the same page. I was talking about the child not being vaccinated.

Offline TimT

• View Profile

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 30, 2021, 02:01:15 PM »
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-covid-has-exposed-a-simmering-schism-within-chabad-1.9937399

After this gem, I doubt the rest is worth reading:

For Lubavitchers, being fully Jewish means being a Chabadnik. They believe that those Jews who do not accept the Lubavitcher version of Judaism, most recently as articulated by their last Rebbe, Menachem Mendel Schneerson, are considered unredeemed and even socially dangerous

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1512 on: August 30, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
Honestly I didn't even read it, the headline looked good but there was a paywall. Was hoping someone would copy/paste.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 30, 2021, 02:08:23 PM »
Honestly I didn't even read it, the headline looked good but there was a paywall. Was hoping someone would copy/paste.

I just read it, and it's honestly not worth the c/p.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1514 on: August 30, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »

Well, what do you know? It's our favorite sociologist at it again.

No paywall when I clicked, though when I went back to c/p it was. Like Lurker said, it's not worth it anyway. It's basically a diatribe about how there are two Chabads - Shluchim, who are more like Modern Orthodox and pluralistic, and "heartland" Lubavitchers who are fundamentalist extremist nutcases. (my word, his implication) Covid proves his thesis because based on the Nishmas research Crown Heightsers were hit harder by covid but don't trust the science and won't get vaccinated. Whereas outside of Crown Heights the shluchim didn't get hit as hard and are more likely to get vaccinated. This is in line with the split between Chassidic communities and MO.

This guy has authored some of the most senseless drivel about Chabad over the years. It's not that I'm a Lubavitcher and his stuff offends me, it is riddled with an abundance of objective falsehoods that it is surprising editors publish the garbage.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: August 30, 2021, 03:48:24 PM »
Well, what do you know? It's our favorite sociologist at it again.

No paywall when I clicked, though when I went back to c/p it was. Like Lurker said, it's not worth it anyway. It's basically a diatribe about how there are two Chabads - Shluchim, who are more like Modern Orthodox and pluralistic, and "heartland" Lubavitchers who are fundamentalist extremist nutcases. (my word, his implication) Covid proves his thesis because based on the Nishmas research Crown Heightsers were hit harder by covid but don't trust the science and won't get vaccinated. Whereas outside of Crown Heights the shluchim didn't get hit as hard and are more likely to get vaccinated. This is in line with the split between Chassidic communities and MO.

This guy has authored some of the most senseless drivel about Chabad over the years. It's not that I'm a Lubavitcher and his stuff offends me, it is riddled with an abundance of objective falsehoods that it is surprising editors publish the garbage.

Poor sociological reductionism, using one poll result out of context to support a preconceived projection.

If I'm quiescent in the heartland, Heilman is brain-dead in academia.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1516 on: August 30, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »
Poor sociological reductionism, using one poll result out of context to support a preconceived projection.

If I'm quiescent in the heartland, Heilman is brain-dead in academia.
Also listing cause and effect as two separate arguments- higher infection rate (largely because of their location in the early NYC COVID epicenter) has likely caused a lower vaccination rate more than anything else.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1517 on: August 30, 2021, 04:42:49 PM »
Also listing cause and effect as two separate arguments- higher infection rate (largely because of their location in the early NYC COVID epicenter) has likely caused a lower vaccination rate more than anything else.

Exactly. He doesn't say it explicitly, but it's implied that the higher covid rates in Crown Heights and Chassidish communities was because of their anti scienceness

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1518 on: August 31, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/08/rna-vaccines-seem-to-produce-very-different-antibody-levels/?amp=1

So I guess being previously infected followed up with one dose of Moderna vaccine explains my high antibody levels. @biobook
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 01, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/08/rna-vaccines-seem-to-produce-very-different-antibody-levels/?amp=1

So I guess being previously infected followed up with one dose of Moderna vaccine explains my high antibody levels. @biobook
Maybe yes, maybe no. 
We can draw meaningful conclusions from a large sample, but you're just a single data point, so not as simple to interpret.
Could be your antibody level also reflects the intensity of your initial illness, the amount of time that passed between that illness and the vaccine, the particular vial of Moderna you got, your continued re-exposure to infected people after you recovered, the accuracy of the assay used to measure your antibodies, your own unique antibody-producing superpower, and probably a bunch of other variables I haven't thought of.
IOW, for you, your explanation has no consequences, and this one is as good as any other.  But we can't really look at what happened to you and make a generalization that people who were infected and have one dose of Moderna should expect to have the same high antibody levels that you do.