Author Topic: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 162856 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Interesting Articles: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #1540 on: September 19, 2021, 04:12:49 PM »
I didn’t say it’s all we need, I was commenting on the narrow scope of a specific situation outlined in that article.

We really need Moshiach, and in a golus world we really need COVID to go away.

You should have stopped right there. Any married man should know better that to add a "but"...
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: September 19, 2021, 08:12:58 PM »
You should have stopped right there. Any married man should know better that to add a "but"...

Please. Just let people have civil discourse without these diversions, we already have members besides you dedicated to derailing that :P
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1542 on: September 27, 2021, 02:36:09 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-27/u-s-men-posted-the-greatest-loss-in-life-expectancy-from-covid

@yos9694 how will this affect the average American? Will Life Insurance rates have to go up? Will this magically make public pensions look more solvent? Etc.?
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 27, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-27/u-s-men-posted-the-greatest-loss-in-life-expectancy-from-covid

@yos9694 how will this affect the average American? Will Life Insurance rates have to go up? Will this magically make public pensions look more solvent? Etc.?

This is how aggregate numbers changed when factoring in those who died from COVID (or are statistically expected to), or does this mean that people who recovered from COVID have lower life expectancy?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 27, 2021, 04:46:53 PM »
It’s likely a misleading number that has little bearing on true life expectancy because it is backward looking, unless one expects covid to exact a similar toll going forward, which there is little basis to assume. Kind of like putting out the average life expectancy of (former) employees  in the World Trade Center as of September 12 2001.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1545 on: September 27, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
It’s likely a misleading number that has little bearing on true life expectancy because it is backward looking, unless one expects covid to exact a similar toll going forward, which there is little basis to assume. Kind of like putting out the average life expectancy of (former) employees  in the World Trade Center as of September 12 2001.
While I understand what you are saying, didn’t the report detail life expectancy both from birth and from age 60? What data were they using to come up with the reduced age for life expectancy from birth?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 05, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/featured/2012279/shock-video-project-veritas-secretly-films-pfizer-scientists-about-vaccines.html
I'm confused - we already knew all of this already. This is like releasing an expose that steak is better than hot dogs
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:44 AM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/featured/2012279/shock-video-project-veritas-secretly-films-pfizer-scientists-about-vaccines.html
I'm confused - we already knew all of this already. This is like releasing an expose that steak is better than hot dogs

Saw that all over WhatsApp yesterday. And had the same exact thoughts -what a nothing burger.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 05, 2021, 07:50:55 AM »
Saw that all over WhatsApp yesterday. And had the same exact thoughts -what a nothing burger.
You mean steak is better than burgers too?!? And the nerve of hot dog and hamburger companies to promote hot dogs and hamburgers!!!
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 05, 2021, 08:07:09 AM »
"I still feel like I work for an evil corporation because it comes down to profits in the end. I mean, I’m there to help people, not to make millions and millions of dollars. So, I mean, that’s the moral dilemma."

And the major source was a disgruntled employee.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 05, 2021, 03:13:32 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-05/covid-booster-shots-bring-tel-aviv-back-to-life

“On the streets of Tel Aviv now, it’s like there’s no Covid,” said Huldai, 77, who has run Tel Aviv for more than two decades since he was elected in 1998. He said 99% of city workers are vaccinated.

Here's my alternative version:

"On the streets of Crown Heights and in highly crowded 770 now (and for over a year), it's like there's no Covid", said ExGingi, who has been living in Crown Heights for more than three decades. He said 60%-80% of the community had COVID during March and April of 2020, and estimated that less than 50% of the community were vaccinated.

I am sure similar versions can be written for WB, BP, and KJ.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:51:17 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 06, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 10, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
Are the authors 3 frum yidden? Their names...

I never knew one could tell if a person is a frum Yid by the name.

In any event, here's a link to the original: https://www.rockefeller.edu/news/30919-natural-infection-versus-vaccination-differences-in-covid-antibody-responses-emerge/
And a page about the author: https://www.rockefeller.edu/our-scientists/heads-of-laboratories/875-michel-c-nussenzweig/
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 10, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »
I never knew one could tell if a person is a frum Yid by the name.

In any event, here's a link to the original: https://www.rockefeller.edu/news/30919-natural-infection-versus-vaccination-differences-in-covid-antibody-responses-emerge/
And a page about the author: https://www.rockefeller.edu/our-scientists/heads-of-laboratories/875-michel-c-nussenzweig/

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04060-7

This is an unedited manuscript that has been accepted for publication. Nature Research are providing this early version of the manuscript as a service to our authors and readers. The manuscript will undergo copyediting, typesetting and a proof review before it is published in its final form. Please note that during the production process errors may be discovered which could affect the content, and all legal disclaimers apply.
Anti-SARS-CoV-2 receptor binding domain antibody evolution after mRNA vaccination

Alice Cho, Frauke Muecksch, Dennis Schaefer-Babajew, Zijun Wang, Shlomo Finkin, Christian Gaebler, Victor Ramos, Melissa Cipolla, Pilar Mendoza, Marianna Agudelo, Eva Bednarski, Justin DaSilva, Irina Shimeliovich, Juan Dizon, Mridushi Daga, Katrina Millard, Martina Turroja, Fabian Schmidt, Fengwen Zhang, Tarek Ben Tanfous, Mila Jankovic, Thiago Y. Oliveria, Anna Gazumyan, Marina Caskey, Paul D. Bieniasz, Theodora Hatziioannou & Michel C. Nussenzweig -Show fewer authors

Nature (2021)Cite this article

20k Accesses

542 Altmetric

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 10, 2021, 02:59:42 PM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04060-7

This is an unedited manuscript that has been accepted for publication. Nature Research are providing this early version of the manuscript as a service to our authors and readers. The manuscript will undergo copyediting, typesetting and a proof review before it is published in its final form. Please note that during the production process errors may be discovered which could affect the content, and all legal disclaimers apply.
Anti-SARS-CoV-2 receptor binding domain antibody evolution after mRNA vaccination

Alice Cho, Frauke Muecksch, Dennis Schaefer-Babajew, Zijun Wang, Shlomo Finkin, Christian Gaebler, Victor Ramos, Melissa Cipolla, Pilar Mendoza, Marianna Agudelo, Eva Bednarski, Justin DaSilva, Irina Shimeliovich, Juan Dizon, Mridushi Daga, Katrina Millard, Martina Turroja, Fabian Schmidt, Fengwen Zhang, Tarek Ben Tanfous, Mila Jankovic, Thiago Y. Oliveria, Anna Gazumyan, Marina Caskey, Paul D. Bieniasz, Theodora Hatziioannou & Michel C. Nussenzweig -Show fewer authors

Nature (2021)Cite this article

20k Accesses

542 Altmetric

I guess by searching for any one of those names you can come up with a bunch of articles for this thread. For example: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ZV2ESi8AAAAJ&hl=en
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 13, 2021, 03:29:54 PM »
https://archive.is/peQg3/again?url=https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-13/almost-20-of-u-s-households-lost-entire-savings-during-covid

How is this possible? With all the stimulus, free food, no housing payments, unemployment, PPP, etc. I can only think of increasing savings.
-- Dan