Author Topic: This is getting serious... a somber thread about COVID-19  (Read 32919 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
This is getting serious... a somber thread about COVID-19
« on: March 23, 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
For the last weeks, I've been caught up in the COVID-19 hype, capitalizing on every opportunity to make a joke or to put in my witty two cents. I've taken the precautions seriously and followed the guidance, but my prevailing mood was one of novelty and amusement. I'm not a child, and I realized that this is a serious situation, but, as a friend of mine wrote about this phenomenon, "The Titanic is sinking and yet the band plays on." The gravity of the pandemic had not sunk in.

But now it is beginning to. I personally have had no symptoms thus far, and I'm young enough to convince myself that I'm invincible - and no family members have reported any serious cases yet (Ka"h), but as I'm looking at the names for tehillim and getting texts from friends, this mageifa is becoming surreal. It's just days into the outbreak in my hometown of Lakewood and more and more people I know are now in critical condition. This person's father died, that person is on a respirator, and a third was just incubated. As I scroll down the list of names, more and more name are familiar. Some I know better and some I know less, but they are all in mortal danger, gasping for breath, because of this virus.

Until now, the concept of a mageifa that can sweep through a community and leave behind unmitigated destruction was an aloof concept. It was from ancient history, from the days of horse and buggies, from the era of bloodletting and pogroms. But as time progresses, my outlook has changed. The volatility of life has become tangible.

This doesn't come to say that I may not venture back onto those lighter threads to read a meme or share my quips. But I do so now with a heavier heart and a more somber attitude.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: This is getting serious... a somber thread about COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 10:53:24 PM »
Funny you should mention the titanic analogy. A nurse told me she feels like a member of the band.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 10:55:27 PM »
Funny you should mention the titanic analogy. A nurse told me she feels like a member of the band.
All to common.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:30:12 PM »
It dawned on me last week, that perhaps the persecution or "holocaust" klal yisroel gets every 50-100 years (over the course of the last 5000 years) is COVID-19. All yeshivas and shuls are closed, Half of Klal Yisroel are having serious struggles with parnassa, we all know people in critical condition and it's only going to get worse. I didn't even mention quarantine and social distancing, simchos getting canceled and held in extreme "tzinna". We have no idea what the next week, month, or six months are going to look like.

It seems to me the Ribono Shel Olam is sending his cyclic reminder that he is the one running the show, and we need to be mechazek in our emunah and bitachon and avodas hashem.

Just my two cents. I don't mean to be insensitive to anyone's plight, and everyone going through tzuros has my utmost sympathy.

May Hashem end this mageifa bikarov. Yeshuas Hashem k'eref ayin.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:33:31 PM »
It dawned on me last week, that perhaps the persecution or "holocaust" klal yisroel gets every 50-100 years (over the course of the last 5000 years) is COVID-19. All yeshivas and shuls are closed, Half of Klal Yisroel are having serious struggles with parnassa, we all know people in critical condition and it's only going to get worse. I didn't even mention quarantine and social distancing, simchos getting canceled and held in extreme "tzinna". We have no idea what the next week, month, or six months are going to look like.

It seems to me the Ribono Shel Olam is sending his cyclic reminder that he is the one running the show, and we need to be mechazek in our emunah and bitachon and avodas hashem.

Just my two cents. I don't mean to be insensitive to anyone's plight, and everyone going through tzuros has my utmost sympathy.

+1

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:34:59 PM »

Hopefully people will start taking this seriously

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »
For the last weeks, I've been caught up in the COVID-19 hype, capitalizing on every opportunity to make a joke or to put in my witty two cents. I've taken the precautions seriously and followed the guidance, but my prevailing mood was one of novelty and amusement. I'm not a child, and I realized that this is a serious situation, but, as a friend of mine wrote about this phenomenon, "The Titanic is sinking and yet the band plays on." The gravity of the pandemic had not sunk in.

But now it is beginning to. I personally have had no symptoms thus far, and I'm young enough to convince myself that I'm invincible - and no family members have reported any serious cases yet (Ka"h), but as I'm looking at the names for tehillim and getting texts from friends, this mageifa is becoming surreal. It's just days into the outbreak in my hometown of Lakewood and more and more people I know are now in critical condition. This person's father died, that person is on a respirator, and a third was just incubated. As I scroll down the list of names, more and more name are familiar. Some I know better and some I know less, but they are all in mortal danger, gasping for breath, because of this virus.

Until now, the concept of a mageifa that can sweep through a community and leave behind unmitigated destruction was an aloof concept. It was from ancient history, from the days of horse and buggies, from the era of bloodletting and pogroms. But as time progresses, my outlook has changed. The volatility of life has become tangible.

This doesn't come to say that I may not venture back onto those lighter threads to read a meme or share my quips. But I do so now with a heavier heart and a more somber attitude.

I have many of the same feelings about this. It makes me wonder, why didn’t anyone care when this was infecting thousands in China? Why is it only a “mageifa” when people that we know get sick R”L, but when it’s on the other side of the globe it basically doesn’t exist? Was it not a mageifa since November?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »
I have many of the same feelings about this. It makes me wonder, why didn’t anyone care when this was infecting thousands in China? Why is it only a “mageifa” when people that we know get sick R”L, but when it’s on the other side of the globe it basically doesn’t exist? Was it not a mageifa since November?
I have asked this several times over the years about things that happen here (USA).

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »
You know the answer to that. Remember Ebola? As long it doesn't reach my ground.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »
Very normal for people to feel empathy more for those closer to them.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 11:51:27 PM »
True but we are all Americans. I few years ago a hurricane hit OK when I was there and many died. I purposely didn't post on DDF for days to see the response. Not a peep. I can give other examples but this one should be enough to called me an anti-Semite.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 11:54:51 PM »
True but we are all Americans. I few years ago a hurricane hit OK when I was there and many died. I purposely didn't post on DDF for days to see the response. Not a peep. I can give other examples but this one should be enough to called me an anti-Semite.
Absolutely, as Americans we are more connected than we are to other nations, but obviously there are many levels of this.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »
At the tornado that hit OK or AR the other year, WHEN YOU WERE NOT THERE, you also didn't give a hoot.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 11:58:49 PM »
At the tornado that hit OK or AR the other year, WHEN YOU WERE NOT THERE, you also didn't give a hoot.
Why do you assume that he didn't give a hoot?

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 12:00:33 AM »
Why do you assume that he didn't give a hoot?
My inner gut tells me that the reason was because "he was there", give me a break.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 12:01:14 AM »
It doesn't mention this in the article, but he had COVID-19.

https://hamodia.com/2020/03/23/bde-reb-yitzchak-warman-zl/

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 12:06:59 AM »
My inner gut tells me that the reason was because "he was there", give me a break.
Your inner gut is wrong. Give me the date and I will look in my checkbook to see if I made a donation.
Now you want to answer why when a F5 hit OK and many AMERICANS died not a peep from the whole forum just not you?
It is best you just let this one go before I get blunt!!!  >:(

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 12:11:54 AM »

The point is, this mageifa didn't start now when the people close to us are R"L falling ill. It started in November in China. If Hashem was sending a sign, we were supposed to start picking up on it then. If not then, then at the very least when it slammed into Italy. But no, we still ran around on Purim acting like there is not a worry in the world.

I'm certain we will start paying attention now.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 12:12:56 AM »
The point is, this mageifa didn't start now when the people close to us are R"L falling ill. It started in November in China. If Hashem was sending a sign, we were supposed to start picking up on it then. If not then, then at the very least when it slammed into Italy. But no, we still ran around on Purim acting like there is not a worry in the world.

I'm certain we will start paying attention now.
I agree, I actually meant to respond to CV

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 12:15:26 AM »
I didn't want to comment, but you people in Lakewood need new leadership. Business as usual till the last minute.. then ;

https://vosizneias.com/2020/03/23/prominent-ny-rosh-yeshiva-cites-lavish-weddings-pilgrimages-to-kivrei-tzadikim-and-other-materialistic-excesses-as-lessons-of-coronavirus-pandemic/

How does he know does he have a direct line to God?

Why don't anybody take responsibility and say "we erred"