Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470569 times)

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1520 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:04 AM »
@cgr
Upthread I asked what a woman having a baby should do.
cgr recommended just skipping a few weeks of re-certifying until she's ready to go back to work and then go back to re-certifying.
However, the LRRC recommended to continue re-certifying every week to stay in the system, but for the question if you're ready, willing & able to work to answer no for those weeks she wouldn't have worked.
What is the better choice?
NJ
Ok, so this lady re-certified for the first week after the baby, and by the question of - if you're ready, willing & able to work - she answered NO. When prompted for a reason - she wrote because she had a baby.
But benefits were given anyway!
Any explanation for this?
What should she do now?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 03, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
Ok, so this lady re-certified for the first week after the baby, and by the question of - if you're ready, willing & able to work - she answered NO. When prompted for a reason - she wrote because she had a baby.
What should she do now?
Paid maternity leave? Keep it. See what happens next week when filling out same way.

It’s up to you to fill out the answers correctly for your situation. It’s up to them to decide what to pay you (which you can try to appeal if you feel they underpaid you).

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 03, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
What should she do now?

Wondering if they misunderstood it to mean that she's caring for a baby (meaning lack of childcare).

I've actually been wondering about this: if one has other kids at home that are out of school and gives birth at the same time, it's perfectly honest to say "I can't go back to work because I don't have childcare for my kids" even though there's a second reason here for why they can't work right now. Are you obligated to list all the reasons you can't? Or as long as you're being honest in what you're saying even if it isn't the full truth, you're good?

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 03, 2020, 10:25:44 AM »
I tried certifying for weekly benefits and I got this message
The Unemployment Insurance Web application for claiming Weekly benefits
is not available at this time. Please try again later.

what do I do?

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 03, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
Don't count your chickens just yet.
We got the exact same email a week ago and as I wrote above - 1) we only received the minimum $231 for PUA, 2) it was retroactive to the date of filing not the date of unemployment - which was 1 1/2 weeks earlier, 3) & we didn't receive any of the FPUC $600 a week.

Any update on how to claim backpayment to date of unemployment as opposed to day of filling?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 03, 2020, 11:45:42 AM »
Any update on how to claim backpayment to date of unemployment as opposed to day of filling?
Not that I know of.
Please post if you get any info.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »
Paid maternity leave? Keep it. See what happens next week when filling out same way.

It’s up to you to fill out the answers correctly for your situation. It’s up to them to decide what to pay you (which you can try to appeal if you feel they underpaid you).

Wondering if they misunderstood it to mean that she's caring for a baby (meaning lack of childcare).

I've actually been wondering about this: if one has other kids at home that are out of school and gives birth at the same time, it's perfectly honest to say "I can't go back to work because I don't have childcare for my kids" even though there's a second reason here for why they can't work right now. Are you obligated to list all the reasons you can't? Or as long as you're being honest in what you're saying even if it isn't the full truth, you're good?

She is self-employed.
I didn't think the CARES act covered maternity, disability or lack of childcare for self-employed.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 03, 2020, 01:22:17 PM »
What should she do now?
I know someone who applied for reg UI, than job offered work again, but had children at home, when asked if refused any job offer, they answered YES, you have the option to write a memo, they wrote that they refused the job because they have children at home, they did receive benefits

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 03, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
NJ Unemployment status is pending for almost 2 months anyone else have this problem?

Offline VY

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 03, 2020, 03:21:58 PM »
NJ Unemployment status is pending for almost 2 months anyone else have this problem?
+1

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: June 03, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »
She is self-employed.
I didn't think the CARES act covered maternity, disability or lack of childcare for self-employed.

Doesn't cover maternity or disability, but definitely covers lack of childcare for self-employed, hence me wondering about the truthfulness in certifying that there's no childcare available when maternity leave is also a factor.

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 03, 2020, 04:59:55 PM »
Just spoke to a friend who is really struggling.
Was a self employed tutor but has a 45min Rebbe job that pays $600 per month, W2 that is still paying (School got PPP)
Q:
1. Is he eligible as is?
2. If there is a limit on working days per week, can he get paid for one day per week and volunteer for the rest?

Any other advice or ideas are appreciated.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 03, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
Just spoke to a friend who is really struggling.
Was a self employed tutor but has a 45min Rebbe job that pays $600 per month, W2 that is still paying (School got PPP)
Q:
1. Is he eligible as is?
2. If there is a limit on working days per week, can he get paid for one day per week and volunteer for the rest?

Any other advice or ideas are appreciated.

How many days per week does he work? In NY the limit is 3 days. 4 days makes you ineligible regardless of how little you earn.

According to this link from the DOL, volunteering usually disqualifies you from UI because it is considered work unless you meet a specific set of criteria: https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/onceyouhaveappliedfaq.shtm#12

But there are also some interesting cases where they allowed volunteers to collect benefits even if they did not meet the above rules (although I wouldn't knowingly go into a such a situation, as your ruling at appeals is not guaranteed)  https://labor.ny.gov/ui/aso/pdf/A-750-2152.pdf

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 03, 2020, 05:17:35 PM »
How many days per week does he work? In NY the limit is 3 days. 4 days makes you ineligible regardless of how little you earn.

According to this link from the DOL, volunteering usually disqualifies you from UI because it is considered work unless you meet a specific set of criteria: https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/onceyouhaveappliedfaq.shtm#12

But there are also some interesting cases where they allowed volunteers to collect benefits even if they did not meet the above rules (although I wouldn't knowingly go into a such a situation, as your ruling at appeals is not guaranteed)  https://labor.ny.gov/ui/aso/pdf/A-750-2152.pdf
Ty. Q: If he was hired to manage and teach a class and now is instead doing a phone conference class (different type of work, not specified in his contract), will that make a difference?
Also, if he is getting paid (though PPP) but not actually working, would he qualify?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:25:50 PM by bubkiz »

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 03, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »
Ty. Q: If he was hired to manage and teach a class and now is instead doing a phone conference class (different type of work, not specified in his contract), will that make a difference?
Also, if he is getting paid (though PPP) but not actually working, would he qualify?

The type of work won't matter here.
If he is getting paid but not working, he'll be eligible if he's earning less than $504 weekly.

To recap: in NY you are eligible for partial UI if you are working 3 days or less/week and earning less than $504/week.
Both must be true.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 03, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

The type of work won't matter here.
If he is getting paid but not working, he'll be eligible if he's earning less than $504 weekly.

To recap: in NY you are eligible for partial UI if you are working 3 days or less/week and earning less than $504/week.
Both must be true.

At what point do you lose the 600 PUA? I noticed I didnt claim for one day and lost 25% of my UI but not of my 600 PUA
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 03, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »

At what point do you lose the 600 PUA? I noticed I didnt claim for one day and lost 25% of my UI but not of my 600 PUA

As long as you receive at least $1 in UI income, you receive the $600 FPUC.

In other words:
Valid claim of any kind= $600 FPUC payment
No valid claim for that week= no payment at all

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 03, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
Doesn't cover maternity or disability, but definitely covers lack of childcare for self-employed, hence me wondering about the truthfulness in certifying that there's no childcare available when maternity leave is also a factor.
But you need to be ready and willing to accept any job offer.. SO....

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 03, 2020, 07:58:49 PM »
But you need to be ready and willing to accept any job offer.. SO....

If you're caring for kids at home you're exempt from work search requirements.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1539 on: June 03, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
If you're caring for kids at home you're exempt from work search requirements.
Either way I think that was waived, at least in NY
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.