Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470750 times)

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1580 on: June 05, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
I think it's time for a BUMP. Over 100 pages (on my default DDF settings) and she's still going strong, day and night. Just imaging the cost of consulting an accountant with your questions, and she seems to know more about this topic than any accountant I know.
Just started checking out this thread, and I couldn't agree more. If this has been going on for 100 pages, I'm amazed. Kudos to you for your amazing help to everybody here.

Offline VY

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 05, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
NJ Unemployment status is pending for almost 2 months anyone else have this problem?
any news ?

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 05, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
any news ?
No, still pending as of this morning

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 05, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
so my wife was approved for PUA NJ & we started receiving the money BH! now I got the email from e-Adjudication to fill out more info (seems like it is geared for w2 employees) I filled it out with my wife SE info and summited it, now I received an email saying

" Your response has been received and will be reviewed by a claims examiner before a determination is issued.  Please allow up to four (4) weeks after submission to receive your determination.  You will receive a written determination regarding your eligibility for benefits in the mail. "
 does that mean they are gonna look over my case even though I already got approved & started receiving payments? will I now stop getting payment while they review my case? this is all so confusing!! Thanks for your help!

Offline kishke

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 05, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »
How do I know if the taxes is being deducted from my $600 weekly bonus on unemployment?
I am getting my weekly benefits, plus $600, but I don’t want to be paying taxes on it?
Or how can I switch to be deducted weekly?

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 05, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »
NJ
Self employed and work also on a W-2. Filed because I had a big loss in self-employed income, though W-2 income remains the same.

After months of waiting, I was finally approved with a benefit rate that only reflects my W-2 income. If I certify with my income, I anticipate getting $0, because my W-2 income is more than the benefit rate + 20 percent.

What should I do? I still want the $600 for the loss of self-employment.

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 05, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »
Besides for the fact that you won't receive money when you report your weekly income as full, or close to that, as the WBR will be based off the W2 income alone. This would especially apply where an employer cut someone's hours, so they can't deny the claim, but with the remaining income (and some 1099) they are above the threshold to receive any weekly benefits.
Did you have any experience with people who had W2 income that would have approved them alone, and still got approved for W2 and 1099 together (or even 1099 alone, which can often be more then the W2)?

I've been encouraging anyone who reaches out to me (NY) with both W2 and 1099/SE income to fax in a Reconsideration Form with proof of both to get a rate increase. The DOL is under no obligation to add the 1099/SE income to recalculate a higher WBR, but it can't hurt.

NY data points for W2+1099/SE WBR increase that I've seen (90% don't report back so this is what I know for sure):
1) Applicant submitted Schedule C after receiving a ~$300 WBR calculated off W2 employee income. Rate was revised to $504 (max NY rate) within 4 business days of Reconsideration Form submission.
2) Applicant provided DOL agent with W2 and K1 income and received $504 WBR (not a possibility with W2 alone). In this case the W2 is owner income as well so not sure if that played a role.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 05, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
How do I know if the taxes is being deducted from my $600 weekly bonus on unemployment?
I am getting my weekly benefits, plus $600, but I don’t want to be paying taxes on it?
Or how can I switch to be deducted weekly?

Location?
If you're getting $600 flat taxes are not being deducted. In NY after tax the $600 is reduced to $525.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 05, 2020, 04:44:33 PM »
NJ
Self employed and work also on a W-2. Filed because I had a big loss in self-employed income, though W-2 income remains the same.

After months of waiting, I was finally approved with a benefit rate that only reflects my W-2 income. If I certify with my income, I anticipate getting $0, because my W-2 income is more than the benefit rate + 20 percent.

What should I do? I still want the $600 for the loss of self-employment.

I've been encouraging anyone who reaches out to me (NY) with both W2 and 1099/SE income to fax in a Reconsideration Form with proof of both to get a rate increase. The DOL is under no obligation to add the 1099/SE income to recalculate a higher WBR, but it can't hurt.

NY data points for W2+1099/SE WBR increase that I've seen (90% don't report back so this is what I know for sure):
1) Applicant submitted Schedule C after receiving a ~$300 WBR calculated off W2 employee income. Rate was revised to $504 (max NY rate) within 4 business days of Reconsideration Form submission.
2) Applicant provided DOL agent with W2 and K1 income and received $504 WBR (not a possibility with W2 alone). In this case the W2 is owner income as well so not sure if that played a role.

NJ Benefit Rate appeal process:
https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/appeals/claimant/index.shtml

I personally have no data points if this was successful in NJ like it has been in NY. Perhaps someone here on the forum has tried this and can let us know?

You also have the hurdle of your W2 boss not having cut your wages and therefore he will (should) reject your claim. Perhaps if your SE income is already part of your WBR, him rejecting your claim won't mean that you are fully ineligible.

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 05, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »

I personally have no data points if this was successful in NJ like it has been in NY. Perhaps someone here on the forum has tried this and can let us know?

You also have the hurdle of your W2 boss not having cut your wages and therefore he will (should) reject your claim. Perhaps if your SE income is already part of your WBR, him rejecting your claim won't mean that you are fully ineligible.
Thanks! I'll try it out and report back if I succeed.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: June 05, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
Thanks! I'll try it out and report back if I succeed.

dont hold your breath. appeals in nj take approximately forever

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 05, 2020, 04:59:03 PM »

dont hold your breath. appeals in nj take approximately forever
Anyone have any data points specifically in regard to mail vs online appeal. Everyone I know who tried this, hasn't had any changes nor heard back from them at all. But everyone tried online appeal.

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 05, 2020, 07:09:37 PM »
Anyone have any data points specifically in regard to mail vs online appeal. Everyone I know who tried this, hasn't had any changes nor heard back from them at all. But everyone tried online appeal.
I appealed in NJ on May 15, and although I never got an official response, I think it may have been successful. I'll post the info below, so you can judge for yourself.

I have a question, I hope someone here can help.

I filed a claim a week ago in NJ, being self-employed with a drop in income. I made a mistake on the application, checking off "not employed", as I didn't see an option for self-employed. On Friday, I found out how to properly fill out the application (thanks DDF) and I filed a new claim with the correct info.

My first claim was denied. Should I file an appeal on my first claim (saying that I made a mistake on the application), or will my second application kick in and supersede the first one?
BUMP.

I got a denial letter a month ago. I filed a new claim 3 weeks ago. No response. Status says $0.

How should I proceed?
I filed an appeal on May 15, and yesterday my benefit rate changed from $0 to a higher amount.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 05, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
I appealed in NJ on May 15, and although I never got an official response, I think it may have been successful. I'll post the info below, so you can judge for yourself.
I filed an appeal on May 15, and yesterday my benefit rate changed from $0 to a higher amount.

Hopefully this is good news for you, and you’ll be getting paid soon.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 05, 2020, 07:40:09 PM »
Hopefully this is good news for you, and you’ll be getting paid soon.
Still having issues (as I posted earlier today) because the benefit rate only includes W2 income, and not self employment income. Filed another appeal today to try to raise my benefit amount to include SE income. I'll report back if anything happens from appeal #2.

Offline kishke

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 06, 2020, 09:53:04 PM »
Location?
If you're getting $600 flat taxes are not being deducted. In NY after tax the $600 is reduced to $525.
Im in ny
How do I change it, that I should get the taxes deducted weekly?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 06, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »
Im in ny
How do I change it, that I should get the taxes deducted weekly?

Click on "Unemployment Services"
Click on "Update your personal information"
You can elect to have your Fed and State taxes deducted

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 06, 2020, 11:13:20 PM »
That's great news.
But are you certain that the updated amount was due to the appeal, or your case was finally approved in its own right?
It would actually seem to me to be a bad sign if they are updating cases based on appeals, but didn't update any cases after appeals to add 1099 income.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 06, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »
I have been collecting a lot of anecdotal evidence on the NJ unemployment process. I don't believe that live agents are looking at most claims at all. Claims that they programmed the computer to accept go through fairly quickly. According to their website, they say that if your claim is pending, it is because according to federal law it needs to be reviewed by a live agent. As we all know, claims stay pending for a loooonggg time, so obviously there is not a lot of manpower to review claims. For the same reason, people with 1099 and w2 income are having claims decided based on w2 income alone. That's what is in the computer and nobody is reviewing it at all.
I know someone who works in the LRRC. He told me that they don't know anyone who was contacted about their appeal yet. I do believe that for an appeal you are supposed to be contacted.

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 07, 2020, 12:00:35 AM »
That's great news.
But are you certain that the updated amount was due to the appeal, or your case was finally approved in its own right?
It would actually seem to me to be a bad sign if they are updating cases based on appeals, but didn't update any cases after appeals to add 1099 income.
My claim was initially denied (I got a denial letter). I did, however, update my claim also, besides for filing the appeal, so it could be that it was that information that did it, though I assumed that simply updating would make no difference once they denied it, and only the appeal would work.