Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470610 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1600 on: June 07, 2020, 12:03:28 AM »
people with 1099 and w2 income are having claims decided based on w2 income alone.
+1

I do believe that for an appeal you are supposed to be contacted.
+1. The application says that you will be contacted within 4 weeks, IIRC.

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 07, 2020, 12:28:15 AM »
I have been collecting a lot of anecdotal evidence on the NJ unemployment process. I don't believe that live agents are looking at most claims at all. Claims that they programmed the computer to accept go through fairly quickly. According to their website, they say that if your claim is pending, it is because according to federal law it needs to be reviewed by a live agent. As we all know, claims stay pending for a loooonggg time, so obviously there is not a lot of manpower to review claims. For the same reason, people with 1099 and w2 income are having claims decided based on w2 income alone. That's what is in the computer and nobody is reviewing it at all.
I know someone who works in the LRRC. He told me that they don't know anyone who was contacted about their appeal yet. I do believe that for an appeal you are supposed to be contacted.
If the reason that people aren't getting 1099 in addition they to W2 income is due to automated process, but through manual review it'll get changed that'll be great. At least when they get to everyone's claims they would correct it, and likely pay all money that was mistakenly not given.
However, is this the case? The bill was written in a way that very strongly implies that they will not be giving PUA to anyone who has W2 income. California and MA say this clearly. So if that's the case, then it would be coming from the states coffers. But I didn't see anywhere that NJ is offering this benefit. I'm wondering if this will ever be changed even when people's claims finally get manually reveiwed

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 07, 2020, 12:30:37 AM »
My claim was initially denied (I got a denial letter). I did, however, update my claim also, besides for filing the appeal, so it could be that it was that information that did it, though I assumed that simply updating would make no difference once they denied it, and only the appeal would work.
I wasn't clear on the chain of events, and thought you got denied on the first claim, that claim eventually got denied, but the second claim got $0 and then was approved.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 07, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
If the reason that people aren't getting 1099 in addition they to W2 income is due to automated process, but through manual review it'll get changed that'll be great. At least when they get to everyone's claims they would correct it, and likely pay all money that was mistakenly not given.
However, is this the case? The bill was written in a way that very strongly implies that they will not be giving PUA to anyone who has W2 income. California and MA say this clearly. So if that's the case, then it would be coming from the states coffers. But I didn't see anywhere that NJ is offering this benefit. I'm wondering if this will ever be changed even when people's claims finally get manually reveiwed
This may be the case for NJ, based on my following observation:

I got emails for e-Adjudication for the weeks I filled in employed+self-employed. The questionnaire is split into two categories, the employed part and the self-employed part. On the employed part, it asks for a date of termination, and it DOESN'T give an option to click "still employed". This makes me think that if you are still fully employed for the W2 work, you are not eligible for UI/PUA, even if you lost hours of self-employment.

(When I filled in the form, I wrote the current date for termination, check other as the reason, and explained that I'm still employed but my self-employment work was impacted.)

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 07, 2020, 12:36:19 AM »
I have been collecting a lot of anecdotal evidence on the NJ unemployment process. I don't believe that live agents are looking at most claims at all. Claims that they programmed the computer to accept go through fairly quickly. According to their website, they say that if your claim is pending, it is because according to federal law it needs to be reviewed by a live agent. As we all know, claims stay pending for a loooonggg time, so obviously there is not a lot of manpower to review claims.
+1
I and many others I have spoken to had very similar experiences as well.
In addition, in regard to dependency benefits, anyone I know who attempted that, hasn't heard back or seen any changes in their WBR. This is a pretty clear cut benefit, and strongly supports this case, if not having people go through the manual claims.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: June 07, 2020, 12:37:38 AM »
I wasn't clear on the chain of events, and thought you got denied on the first claim, that claim eventually got denied, but the second claim got $0 and then was approved.
I filed and mistakenly checked off "not employed". I changed the claim a few days later. I subsequently get a denial letter, and then I filed an appeal (in which I wrote that I made a mistake on the application). The $0 was listed almost immediately, and it remained that way until last week.

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 07, 2020, 12:38:48 AM »

I got emails for e-Adjudication for the weeks I filled in employed+self-employed. The questionnaire is split into two categories, the employed part and the self-employed part. On the employed part, it asks for a date of termination, and it DOESN'T give an option to click "still employed". This makes me think that if you are still fully employed for the W2 work, you are not eligible for UI/PUA, even if you lost hours of self-employment.

(When I filled in the form, I wrote the current date for termination, check other as the reason, and explained that I'm still employed but my self-employment work was impacted.)
Very interesting observation.
So you're saying that we may not get it in NJ?

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 07, 2020, 12:39:46 AM »

But maybe this a holdover from pre Covid days?

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 07, 2020, 12:40:17 AM »
 Single yeshiva student in New Jersey, but parents live in Brooklyn, works pt in NJ (tutoring and Federal work study),where should they file for pua?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 07, 2020, 12:41:56 AM »
Single yeshiva student in New Jersey, but parents live in Brooklyn, works pt in NJ (tutoring and Federal work study),where should they file for pua?

As a general rule you file for UI in the state of employment, not residence.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 07, 2020, 12:43:03 AM »
Very interesting observation.
So you're saying that we may not get it in NJ?
I assumed it may be this:
But maybe this a holdover from pre Covid days?
, but when I saw that the it was the case in other states, I wondered if there was more to the application than I thought.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 07, 2020, 01:15:11 AM »
I think you are just certifying wrong. You aren't supposed to put in self employment income. Read the instructions before you certify. It says to put all income, even self employment, into question 7b.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 07, 2020, 01:18:21 AM »
I think you are just certifying wrong. You aren't supposed to put in self employment income. Read the instructions before you certify. It says to put all income, even self employment, into question 7b.
Huh?

We dont have self employment income. We have w2 income, which always went into 7b.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 07, 2020, 01:19:57 AM »
Huh?

We dont have self employment income. We have w2 income, which always went into 7b.

sorry, i forgot to quote him. I was replying to YitzyS

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 07, 2020, 01:51:29 AM »
You are correct. It said to put in all employment in 7b in order to get the money faster. But I did some weeks the other way, because my benefit rate was too low and I wanted to see if it would go through if I separated the self-employment from regular W2.

I did only get the e-adj emails for those weeks that I entered SE in 7a.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1615 on: June 07, 2020, 03:20:40 AM »
No. You'll need to certify for each missed week. Either via your account if you have the option available, or if you don't you'll need to wait for the DOL email.
Got the email and filled out the form, now will wait and see what happens.
 Thanks.

Important Notice About Receiving Your Back Benefits: The DOL is using DocuSign’s secure digital signature technology to help New Yorkers get their backdated payments. If you reImportant Notice About Receiving Your Back Benefits: The DOL is using DocuSign’s secure digital signature technology to help New Yorkers get their backdated payments. If you receive an email, please fill out the form and send it in so that we can get you the benefits you are eligible for as quickly as possible. To verify the legitimacy of your notification from DocuSign the message will be sent to you from dse@docusign.net and the Reply-To email will be backcert@labor.ny.gov. Docusign FAQs

https://dol.ny.gov/
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline erlich

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 07, 2020, 05:01:39 AM »
Can still get the $600 bonus for past 3 months?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 07, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
In NY

If I file for UI for 4 weeks, then go back to work.
Will I need to work 26 weeks before being eligible for PFL (Paid Family Leave)? (I have been working at this employer a few years)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:53:37 AM by mgarfin »

Offline johnshek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 07, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
I got approved for unemployment benefits. I was able to certify retroactively for the past x amount of weeks since I filed for unemployment.
Im still working a few hours a week so I got the difference between my worked hours and weekly benefit rate deposited into my account.
I have not received the additional $600 a week for some reason.
Does anyone know why this is?
Is it a separate deposit that could take longer?

Offline zevi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 07, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
I got approved for unemployment benefits. I was able to certify retroactively for the past x amount of weeks since I filed for unemployment.
Im still working a few hours a week so I got the difference between my worked hours and weekly benefit rate deposited into my account.
I have not received the additional $600 a week for some reason.
Does anyone know why this is?
Is it a separate deposit that could take longer?
It’s a separate deposit that takes around a week.