Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478336 times)

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1740 on: June 11, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
Then you can a) wait or b) call in

Wait will definitely work?

I have a few applications that are actually being hold up. Very similar backgrounds, like 1099's.  some went thru while  others are not being processed.

I wonder if there is any rhyme to this or is it all random.

Thanks

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: June 11, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Wait will definitely work?

I have a few applications that are actually being hold up. Very similar backgrounds, like 1099's.  some went thru while  others are not being processed.

I wonder if there is any rhyme to this or is it all random.

Thanks

You can call in with one application to ask why you have the ability to file again and if you should, and based on that you can see if it applies to all applications.

I had applicants fill out their application again simply because by doing so they were given a # to call and they were able to provide any missing info over the phone- an impossible feat up until a day or two ago.

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: June 11, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »
Would college work study programs be considered employment to apply for unemployment in NJ.Asking on behalf of a yeshiva student who is part of such a program in BMG

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: June 11, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »
Now that daycare's are starting up again and becoming legal, do people lose the option of claiming benefits due to daycare closings. What if someone's child's daycare is closed but others are available? This can be a problem for people who have the option of going back to work, but have been claiming they can't find work (as there is an excuse of daycare closed).

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1745 on: June 11, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
AFAF, what's the best number to call for NJ Dept of Labor?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline monoso

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 11, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
AFAF, what's the best number to call for NJ Dept of Labor?
I tried several different numbers it seems they all go to the same call center.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1747 on: June 11, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
I tried several different numbers it seems they all go to the same call center.
TY
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline VY

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 12, 2020, 09:14:30 AM »
Still waiting for NJ determination for dw with w2 + SE. At the moment she has the minimum $231 WBR and we have been able to certify weekly because her W2 income is less than that. However this week she made some SE money which would push her over the minimum.

I believe some people have had issues with certifying in subsequent weeks after going over their WBR. Should we just skip certifying for weeks where she goes over the WBR or will there still be issues?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
#TYH

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 12, 2020, 10:09:29 AM »
@cgr doesn't know the inner workings of the brain of the agent who reviewed her file ;)

Here's what I do know:
She's not lying so on her end she's protected
It also makes sense that she's receiving benefits because caring for kids at home exempts her from the needs to search for a job, so the reason why the answer is "no" is possibly a moot point and they're not even looking at it based on her first answer.
For the next week she did not receive benefits even though she answered exactly the same as the week before.
Go figure....

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 12, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
Still waiting for NJ determination for dw with w2 + SE. At the moment she has the minimum $231 WBR and we have been able to certify weekly because her W2 income is less than that. However this week she made some SE money which would push her over the minimum.

I believe some people have had issues with certifying in subsequent weeks after going over their WBR. Should we just skip certifying for weeks where she goes over the WBR or will there still be issues?

How do you skip a week? When you go in to certify, it always asks about the last week that you haven't claimed yet. So if you skip a week, the next week will still ask about the one you skipped, no?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 12, 2020, 11:45:21 AM »
NJ. Self-employed.
Just received an e-Adjudication email that there are unresolved issues on my claim and we must fill out a form.
However, I have already been receiving benefits for a few weeks!
Do I need to fill out this form or can I just ignore it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:55:56 AM by ae123 »

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 12, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
If someone got fired from his job a year ago, could he still file for UI now?
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: June 12, 2020, 12:42:56 PM »
How do you skip a week? When you go in to certify, it always asks about the last week that you haven't claimed yet. So if you skip a week, the next week will still ask about the one you skipped, no?
Well truth is I think she’s going to be over the minimum $231 going forward. So I guess I just won’t certify at all going forward until the WBR is fixed. I just don’t want to ruin the claim if/when they get the right WBR into the system...
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 12, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
He can file if he had wages/SE income in the last 18 months.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 12, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
Fired or laid off?

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 12, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »

I personally had no issues doing this. I certified two weeks with over the WBR*1.2 and had zero dollars those weeks. From then on I had less, and got money each week with no issues at all.

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:46 PM »
Transitionning from Unemployment to PUA in NJ:
Just wanted to update anyone that may have similar circumstances:
I was on reg unemployment for a few months due to place of employment shutting because of COVID. they reopened at the end of May and requested I return. I was unable to give my full hours as I need to tend to my children that are out of Child care bec of COVID.
In the week that I returned partially I filled out on the weekly certification by "did you refuse any work" Yes and explained. The claim went to pending I had telephone intervoew this mornning , explained the situation and the worker said i am eligible and will receive PUA. for that week...